TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

Pretty sure this means that Mega Zeph is the only wooden coaster on the planet with a trick track still standing.

IIRC, Mega Zeph had a little work done during the 2004/2005 off-season that included removing the trick track. The hill preceding that element then led into a speedy straightaway before turning around to finish the run. She ran really well in 05 before Katrina. I miss that zippy little ride.

I already posted this in the crazy ideas/rumors thread, but I don't think it's inconceivable for Cedar Fair to move Magnum XL 200 from Cedar Point to Michigan's Adventure in the not too distant future. A lot of people complain it's too rough and I could see it being replaced by a nice new top of the line B and M hyper at their premier park.

But Magnum has tremendous historical value so it seems unlikely to hit the scrap heap. For MA it would be quite the score. Is this idea too far out there?

I already posted this in the crazy ideas/rumors thread, but I don't think it's inconceivable for Cedar Fair to move Magnum XL 200 from Cedar Point to Michigan's Adventure in the not too distant future. A lot of people complain it's too rough and I could see it being replaced by a nice new top of the line B and M hyper at their premier park.

But Magnum has tremendous historical value so it seems unlikely to hit the scrap heap. For MA it would be quite the score. Is this idea too far out there?

I don't see Cedar Fair ever getting rid of Magnum until they absolutely have too. I mean it'll always be historic for being the first ever 200 ft coaster, and many will say it started the modern era of " Coaster Wars" and companies trying to one up each other with record breakers.

If anything, I could see MiA getting a Chance hyper. But even then, I'd bet on a hyper GTX.

Like Lightning Run?

I actually love this idea. Lightning Run is an amazing little coaster.

Not until they sell Michigan's Adventures, Which will probably be 4 weeks after they sell Cedar Point aka Never.

Cedar Fair bought Michigan's Adventures for about the same reason they bought Geauga Lake

I don't see Cedar Fair ever getting rid of Magnum until they absolutely have too. I mean it'll always be historic for being the first ever 200 ft coaster, and many will say it started the modern era of " Coaster Wars" and companies trying to one up each other with record breakers.

I don't either, and Michigan's Adventure seems to be about the end of the line as far as Cedar Fair is concerned. And when I said "not too distant future" I was thinking at least 6 to 12 years down the road. When I went to CP last year lines for Magnum were often only 5 minutes according to the app, and it's only going to run rougher as time goes by. Like I said, maybe it's too crazy of an idea, but if CP is continually sending out half empty Magnum trains they're going to have to do something and I can't see them scrapping it https://twitter.com/kevinjoy5/status/839144694265294848

giphy.gif

And when I said "not too distant future" I was thinking at least 6 to 12 years down the road. When I went to CP last year lines for Magnum were often only 5 minutes according to the app, and it's only going to run rougher as time goes by. Like I said, maybe it's too crazy of an idea, but if CP is continually sending out half empty Magnum trains they're going to have to do something and I can't see them scrapping it.

if magnum ever degrades to the point where it's continually sending out half empty trains, i honestly think it would be a thousand times more likely that CP would reinvest in a full-blown hulk-style retracking of the ride along with brand new trains for magnum rather than move it to michigan's adventure (or anywhere else for that matter).

it's probably the most important coaster in the history of the park. i'm pretty sure CP management is aware of that.

magnum ain't going nowhere.

unless it happens to sink, of course.

1935140307_kimruoncrack.gif.79d8b2a059d9424c1217773d3920103f.gif

If anything, I could see MiA getting a Chance hyper. But even then, I'd bet on a hyper GTX.

Like Lightning Run?

I actually love this idea. Lightning Run is an amazing little coaster.

Not until they sell Michigan's Adventures, Which will probably be 4 weeks after they sell Cedar Point aka Never.

Cedar Fair bought Michigan's Adventures for about the same reason they bought Geauga Lake

Yes, like Lightning run.

(for regulars on this topic, I'm about to go on the usual rant, feel free to skip reading this)

Cedar Fair bought Michigan's Adventure because it's insanely (and reliably) profitable. They've spent the past several years implementing a plethora of infrastructure improvements. The reason we haven't seen a roller coaster since Thunderhawk is because, until recently, the township that Michigan's Adventure is in has had a board member who was vocally opposed to having an amusement park and was unwilling to approve them for construction. That member has since left the township board, opening up the prospect of future expansion. Incidentally, soon after that person left the board, "sources" seemed to indicate that a new roller coaster was being planned.

/rant for the millionth time

Cedar Point is never relocating Magnum. Sorry. It's just one of those things.

And wouldn't it have been easier to just edit and remove the link?

Don't know how. And if Cedar Point completely rebuilds Magnum like Universal did the Hulk who does it with Arrow gone? And how would it really even be Magnum anymore?

Incidentally, soon after that person left the board, "sources" seemed to indicate that a new roller coaster was being planned.

/rant for the millionth time

Good gravy I hope this is true.

It was reported by screamscape, so... grain of salt. But oh my god, me too

And if Cedar Point completely rebuilds Magnum like Universal did the Hulk who does it with Arrow gone? And how would it really even be Magnum anymore?
I see five possibilities.

1. Schilke was an engineer at Arrow. If anyone is qualified to deal with an Arrow ride, it's him. RMC rebuilds the coaster, maybe making a few tweaks, but mostly not changing the ride. This would be like what B&M did to the Hulk.

2. S&S is, in some sense, the successor to Arrow. They could rebuild the coaster or at least retrack it like GCI has done for wooden coasters.

3. Chance owns Morgan, which redid the Steel Phantom. They do a retracking like GCI has done for wood coasters.

4. Another RMC idea uses the fact that the support structure is a lot more like a wood coaster than B&M and Intamin hypers. There's not just a pole every 50 feet or so. RMC could RMC the coaster the way they've RMCed wood coasters.

5. They tear it down and build a B&M (or the hot manufacturer when it happens) in its place.

I think Magnum is likely to be left alone for a while. Once it's been around about 40 years, Cedar Point will have to address some issues with roughness. This wouldn't be a full retracking of a mile-long layout, but there are some places that could be tweaked. It's hard to say what roller coasters will be like when Magnum finally has to come down towards the end of this century, but that spot is likely to be reserved for a 200-foot out-and-back airtime machine unless there is a compelling reason to build something different, and whoever has taken the role of B&M probably would get to mimic the Magnum layout while adding some new tricks.

(Or so I think.)

And if Cedar Point completely rebuilds Magnum like Universal did the Hulk who does it with Arrow gone? And how would it really even be Magnum anymore?
I see five possibilities.

1. Schilke was an engineer at Arrow. If anyone is qualified to deal with an Arrow ride, it's him. RMC rebuilds the coaster, maybe making a few tweaks, but mostly not changing the ride. This would be like what B&M did to the Hulk.

2. S&S is, in some sense, the successor to Arrow. They could rebuild the coaster or at least retrack it like GCI has done for wooden coasters.

3. Chance owns Morgan, which redid the Steel Phantom. They do a retracking like GCI has done for wood coasters.

4. Another RMC idea uses the fact that the support structure is a lot more like a wood coaster than B&M and Intamin hypers. There's not just a pole every 50 feet or so. RMC could RMC the coaster the way they've RMCed wood coasters.

5. They tear it down and build a B&M (or the hot manufacturer when it happens) in its place.

I think Magnum is likely to be left alone for a while. Once it's been around about 40 years, Cedar Point will have to address some issues with roughness. This wouldn't be a full retracking of a mile-long layout, but there are some places that could be tweaked. It's hard to say what roller coasters will be like when Magnum finally has to come down towards the end of this century, but that spot is likely to be reserved for a 200-foot out-and-back airtime machine unless there is a compelling reason to build something different, and whoever has taken the role of B&M probably would get to mimic the Magnum layout while adding some new tricks.

(Or so I think.)

thanks for laying out your theories. The reasoning behind my whole crazy idea was that I used to looove Magnum and when I went to Cedar Point after a long absence last year it wasn't that fun anymore. Maybe I should have rode in the front but in the back it was pretty rough without near the glorious airtime I remembered so I could see the need to do something about that aways down the road. I dunno, I'm just stupid, I guess. Glad I gave you guys some entertainment in the long off-season . Keep making those snarky gifs and I'll let you get back to cracking jokes about Cedar Fair buying MA new park benches as it's new attraction.

It doesn't even have to be a coaster right away. Any thrilling dry side attraction will be welcome. Drop tower, super loop, skyrace ect ect. Im going to say again a system to get the tubes up the hill to Mine shaft and mammoth river is much needed. An elevator lift to get tubes up funnel of fear would also be appreciated.

While this is waaay off topic since it is a MiA thread my two takes on Magnum is that either:

1. I see Chance retracking since they did a great job with Phantom's Revenge. Would definitely see some tweaking on the return portion by replacing those triangular shaped hills into more rounded better airtime hills

or

2. Magnum just comes down and a new, larger wave pool is built on the site of the old one, taking up the spot where the second drop is. I always thought CP Shores' wave pool was a bit small, especially if they are tying to make it a premier water park.