TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

Shivering Timbers just got more awesome. The trick track was the only bad element on the ride and the little hill is a nice replacement. It's not something that will increase attendance, but it's another example of Cedar Fair enhancing a ride experience. It has me excited and I will definitely get more rides in this season.

This guy knows what he's talking about. ST is going to be even more "GP" rider friendly now than it's ever been. It still shocks me a little when some people I talk to (outside of coaster enthusiast circles) describe ST as being "too rough", because I love the ride to death, and don't think it's too bad "roughness-wise". However, it's the little things, such as the helix, and the trick-track, that likely left that negative impression. I would anticipate a lot of those people who complained to me, if they were willing to ride it again next year, would find it much better.

I don't understand how people can be that critical of the helix! The laterals are awesome (all the laterals on Shivering Timbers are underrated) and wasn't it retracked rather recently?

The helix is VASTLY improved! I always ask my friends who complain, when they last rode it, and it was almost always before the helix retracking. Hence, the complaints. Still, like Philrad said, aside from the trick track (now gone), it was the "roughest" part of the ride, even after the retracking.

They have put a lot of love in Timbers these last couple years. So much better of a ride now!

I had a crazy thought. Move Kings Island Vortex to MIA and give it Vekoma vest trains. That would give MIA a big looping steel coaster, and then free up alot of space at Kings island. Giving them a huge chunk of land for future expansion. I know its never gonna happen but would make sense for both sides

^ That's a great idea!

On top of that they should plop Zaturn, Venus GP (both from Space World), Kanonen (from Liseberg), or a Schwarzkopf looping star (all four are for sale on Interlink) in Corkscrew's spot (So they don't have two bloody arrow loopers and get a decent looping coaster)!

820313993_Zaturn@MiA.thumb.png.c01eee03322c4f3ecf5b465d9a785ee8.png

Zaturn in Corkscrew's location. Not a long shot at all! It would replace the mini go-karts and stretch a bit into the lake but I still find it a plausible location for it. Kanonen will also fit (a lot more easily).

:lol: They're not going to get rid of Corkscrew and they're not getting a new coaster.

That's not true!

I heard that they ARE going to drain the lake, and they have a 3 coaster contract with B&M. They are going to place all 3 of them in the spot where the lake used to be.

In all seriousness, Michigan's Adventure is due for their next coaster in 2018. Look at the years their three most thrilling coasters opened:

Wolverine Wildcat: 1988

Shivering Timbers 1998

Thunderhawk 2008

So in 2018 I predict another relocation, though this time it will be an actually good coaster. Here are some rides for sale on Interlink:

A Schwarzkopf Looping star model

Kanonen from Liseberg (the smallest Intamin Accelerator with a top hat, a loop, snappy airtime hills, and a heartline roll)

Venus GP from Space World (Maurer Söhne looper)

Saturn from Space World (Stealth Clone, 200 ft Intamin accelerator)

If it's not a relocation, here are some rides that would fit well with their current coaster lineup:

Chance Hyper GTX

Gerstlauer Eurofighter

Hyper from anyone

Any good launch coaster

As for the location of this new coaster, I most want it to be along a new path connecting Wolverine Wildcat to the Thunderhawk area. That would be a perfect location for any coaster I just listed. This park has way too much space. If they really don't want to put it there, they could put it in Corkscrew's current location. Kanonen and Zaturn will fit. A very compact Hyper GTX and Eurofighter might as well.

Edit: I received an update from Interlink's email saying that Zaturn goes for 2.37 million USD. That's pretty cheap

• 2 weeks later...

Gold rush indoor waterpark, part of the double JJ resort in Rothbury Mi north of Muskegon had a water main break. This happened back in November I believe. So the indoor waterpark is shut down. They are going to fix the problem and do some renovations and updating. I was shocked by the water main break considering the whole complex is only like 10 years old.

Gold rush indoor waterpark, part of the double JJ resort in Rothbury Mi north of Muskegon had a water main break. This happened back in November I believe. So the indoor waterpark is shut down. They are going to fix the problem and do some renovations and updating. I was shocked by the water main break considering the whole complex is only like 10 years old.

I was there for New Years when I made that Shivering Timbers post. The waterpark looked pretty alright, I'd go back this summer to get back on Shivering Timbers. It was a really interesting place, I haven't seen a place quite like it, especially at its location.

In all seriousness, Michigan's Adventure is due for their next coaster in 2018. Look at the years their three most thrilling coasters opened:

Shivering Timbers 1998

Thunderhawk 2008

So in 2018 I predict another relocation, though this time it will be an actually good coaster. Here are some rides for sale on Interlink:

Kanonen from Liseberg (the smallest Intamin Accelerator with a top hat, a loop, snappy airtime hills, and a heartline roll)

If it's not a relocation, here are some rides that would fit well with their current coaster lineup:

Chance Hyper GTX

Gerstlauer Eurofighter

Hyper from anyone

Any good launch coaster

As for the location of this new coaster, I most want it to be along a new path connecting Wolverine Wildcat to the Thunderhawk area. That would be a perfect location for any coaster I just listed. This park has way too much space. If they really don't want to put it there, they could put it in Corkscrew's current location. Kanonen and Zaturn will fit. A very compact Hyper GTX and Eurofighter might as well.

Edit: I received an update from Interlink's email saying that Zaturn goes for 2.37 million USD. That's pretty cheap

Knott's Boomerang could end up at Michigan's Adventure as well (if Knott's removes it)

Shivering Timbers 1998

Thunderhawk 2008

Chance Hyper GTX

Gerstlauer Eurofighter

Hyper from anyone

Any good launch coaster

Knott's Boomerang could end up at Michigan's Adventure as well (if Knott's removes it)

As much as I want Knott's to remove Boomerang, if they do, I imagine they will scrap the ride. It's going on 27 years old, and Matt Ouimet has stated that he is not a fan of relocating rides (especially ones as old as this one). It's possible, but relocating a Boomerang is much more of a "Six Flags move."

Shivering Timbers 1998

Thunderhawk 2008

Chance Hyper GTX

Gerstlauer Eurofighter

Hyper from anyone

Any good launch coaster

As much as I want Knott's to remove Boomerang, if they do, I imagine they will scrap the ride. It's going on 27 years old, and Matt Ouimet has stated that he is not a fan of relocating rides (especially ones as old as this one). It's possible, but relocating a Boomerang is much more of a "Six Flags move."

Where did Carolina Cobra come from again?

Geauga Lake, but that was long before Matt Ouimet took over Cedar Fair. Back then ride relocations were pretty common.

The relocated coasters from Geauga Lake were nowhere near 27 years old, I believe there were all less than 10 years old. Of course it makes sense to move coasters from a closed park when the coasters still have years left in them.