TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

This may sound shocking (cause it is) but I think MiA is getting a Triotech Dark Ride. CW and MiA are the only 2 parks that haven't annouced anything, and Cedar Fair said that they planned on a Dark Ride this year. CW already has a Triotech and the slides have already shown up, and the only park left in the chain that hasn't annouced anything is MiA. That leads me to believe that they'll be getting a Triotech. Any thoughts on this? I know it sounds wierd for MiA to possibly be getting such a big addition, but I think it'll happen!

This may sound shocking (cause it is) but I think MiA is getting a Triotech Dark Ride. CW and MiA are the only 2 parks that haven't annouced anything, and Cedar Fair said that they planned on a Dark Ride this year. CW already has a Triotech and the slides have already shown up, and the only park left in the chain that hasn't annouced anything is MiA. That leads me to believe that they'll be getting a Triotech. Any thoughts on this? I know it sounds wierd for MiA to possibly be getting such a big addition, but I think it'll happen!

It's not shocking at all. Michigan's Adventure has been quiet lately in the recent years, and even though many doubt that this park will get anything "spectacular" next year, I'm sure Cedar Fair has been planning and planning on what this park might need. I used to think that every park needs a new roller coaster each year, but then I realized that parks need to a have variety as well. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that green track goes here instead.

I just have this feeling that Cedar Fair is done with Triotech. Maybe I wrong, but I find it strange that they haven't done any since 2014. I've been on WMG, and it's not that great. I'll be at KBF on Wednesday, so I'll try out theirs.

^Voyage To The Iron Reef opened in 2015. So they haven't done any since that year, not 2014. I do get your point though, it has been a while and dark rides were originally on their plans for both this year and next year i believe, guess those plans have been changed a bit.

Since Wildwater Kingdom was shutdown, I'm just going to go ahead and say it...I see this park being the next one to get the boot by Cedar Fair.

It does business. The loudest voices saying it doesn't are, I find, generally people who last visited 8-10 years ago (if not longer).

I don't think they're getting anything substantial. They have real problems there (as is often indicated with this thread) in terms of staffing, utilities, and with local governance. They should be working on fixing those first, because doing so will allow them to bring up their capacity on the dry side and start smoothing out a lot of the issues they have (especially on weekends). They've done the orthodox "It is 1985, how do we do this?" solutions to some of those problems, but they probably need to start joining the 21st century and looking at new ideas.

Well, if Triotech isn't going in MiA, then it may be safe to say Cedar Fair tried it out decided to go another direction. I've been on Voyage at Knott's and really liked it. I think Cedar Fair should keep using them...But we'll see. Does MiA have a building they could use for a Triotech ride? Also, I'm kind of puzzled why we haven't seen any interactive game like additions this year. KI, KD didn't announce anything for their action theaters, so I wonder if CW will for theirs. Maybe nobody is getting an interactive ride next year...Possibly no B&M either.

Edited by The Geek Mojo

MIA isnt getting a dark ride. It will either be a transplant from GL, a modest flat ride or just the new maintenance building and more infrastructure updates. Over the last couple years they built a new water tower, new employee training center, bought land north of there current property, hooked up to city sewer. They are doing alot of behind the scenes updates.

I had the strangest dream last night... MiA announced a new roller coaster, called Steel Hawg (and even the same colors as IB's coaster, but it was an old Arrow double-loop, like the Double O at Boardwalk and Baseball! Yeah... Really bizarre, and I NO idea where that came from!

Thank you for correcting me on 2015 vs 2014. For some reason I was thinking it was currently 2015 or maybe I meant it was announced in 2014 for the 2015 season. Nevertheless, you'd think they would have done something for 2016, and they didn't. So far, nothing for 2017. I didn't personally care for the interactivity of WMG. The ride was fine, but the video screens were not good. Maybe I'm spoiled cause I went to Universal Orlando the year before and rode their fantastic dark rides.

I'm predicting 5 more pages before another non-regular decides to post something about how "Cedar Fair is obviously planning to sell or shutter MiA, duh" only to be bombarded with "IT'S PROFITABLE" replies.

They will only sell Michigan's Adventure IF they sell Cedar Point. TRANSLATION: They will never sell it. I heard Cedar Fair purchased it so Six Flags couldn't cause if they had Michigan's Adventure and Six Flags Worlds Of Adventure then Cedar Point would have been financially hurt. So they bought their competition. Also in the Press Release regarding Cedar Fair's purchase, The owner/manager was approached by Six Flags.

Michigan's adventure is not in competition with cedarpoint. If that were the case, kings island would have been getting the shaft.

It's 5 hours from Michigan adventure to cp, it's 4 hours to kings island from cp.

With that being said, if Michigan's adventure grew a bit it could draw from the Chicago market as well as Michigan. Not sure if they plan on growing and are getting the infrastructure in place to do so or what. But in the meantime, it would be nice if Cedar Fair threw the park a bone once and a while.

^Eh... What you say is not entirely true...

I don't know how things are in Shelby Township, but here in the Lansing/Mid Michigan area, where I've lived all my life, there definitely is a bit of "are we going to Cedar Point, or Michigan's Adventure" competition for the consumer's dollar. This is from years of conversations with a wide cross-section of people, none of them "enthusiasts." Michigan is the second largest provider of attendance for Cedar Point, and if Michigan's Adventure was even a park the size and stature of Holiday World, it most definitely would hurt CP's bottom line. That was the trajectory they were on under the Jourdan's as the 90's came to an end, and CP was no fool, seeing the potential of the park. Hence, they bought it, and are reaping the dual profits of having both a park providing a large profit margin, and also less competition with CP for Michiganders' dollar. I know many non-enthusiast types here in Lansing, who are far more interested in going an extra hour to CP, than MiA. They cite the lack of anything new or interesting, or any compelling reason to go there. This isn't enthusiast or fanboy speak, this is the cold hard facts here in mid-Michigan. Much like the GL situation, I can't blame CF in the least for doing what they did regarding MiA, as it was good business. But as somebody who was enjoying the park's upward trajectory in the late 90's, and sees a ton of potential in the park, it is a little disappointing, though I don't lose any sleep over it...

The majority of peeps from Michigan that visit cp are from the metro detroit area and suburbs. Michigan's adventure is close to Chicago, and could easily target that audience.

Again, it a 5 hour drive between the 2 parks, I doubt that if the park grew into something the size of holiday world that it would have much impact on cp. Cp has the huge record breaking coasters, and people will always be attracted to that. A mid sized park would be great.

The majority of peeps from Michigan that visit cp are from the metro detroit area and suburbs. Michigan's adventure is close to Chicago, and could easily target that audience.

Again, it a 5 hour drive between the 2 parks, I doubt that if the park grew into something the size of holiday world that it would have much impact on cp. Cp has the huge record breaking coasters, and people will always be attracted to that. A mid sized park would be great.

I went to Holiday World for the first time this year and didn't think it was all that great. There Waterpark had a couple really good slides but I thought there dry ride was severely lacking.

I profoundly disagree about the awesomeness that is Holiday World, but regardless, I'd say that it is no more than a mid size park. Also, I assure you, mid-Michigan contributes plenty to CP's Michigan attendance numbers. They would feel it if MiA were bigger, no doubt. The thing is, it still wouldn't hurt them significantly even if it was a better park. But no competition is better than marginal competition, as far as CF is concerned, and had proven over the years...