TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

What about Thursdays in the summer (specifically July 7)? In a similar boat where I can get there at park opening, but I only have about 3 hours or so. Hoping to collect all the credits (and maybe the flume and train). First trip up there. And, I know some parks are near the same crowd levels on weekdays. Others are not (weekend heavy). Greatly appreciate any thoughts!

What about Thursdays in the summer (specifically July 7)? In a similar boat where I can get there at park opening, but I only have about 3 hours or so. Hoping to collect all the credits (and maybe the flume and train). First trip up there. And, I know some parks are near the same crowd levels on weekdays. Others are not (weekend heavy). Greatly appreciate any thoughts!

the 7th shouldn't be bad. If your there for credits hit Mad Mouse first. Wildcat, Mad Mouse, and Loggers Run gather the longest lines. Timbres cranks out the people so that is never an issue.

I was able to make my first ever visit to Michigan's Adventure this past Saturday, June 25th. I asked for advice about this visit and the members of this forum delivered. Thank-you members of this forum for your advice. In appreciation for that advice I am going to share with you my first ever TPR trip report. I knew going into this visit pretty much what to expect with this park. I had low expectations and I came away happy after my visit. As far as roller coasters go there is Shivering Timbers and everything else. Wolverine Wildcat was alright and Thunderhawk wasn't bad either. It was the best Vekoma SLC I have ever ridden (if that is saying anything - in this case it is because I actually enjoyed it). I did not visit the waterpark during my visit but it did look nice. The rapids ride also looked nice. I thought the big lake in the middle of the park was a nice touch. I especially liked the fact they put two attractions that utilize the lake: Swan Boats and Bumper Boats. I wasn't able to ride either of them but if I had more time I definitely would have. The trabant ride looked neat for a flat ride. I really enjoyed the Ferris Wheel and the views it offered of the entire park. Here are some more thoughts:

The Good:

Shivering Timbers

Crowds were great for a Saturday (never waited more than 20 minutes for anything)

Weather was nice (low to mid 80’s with a good breeze)

Thunderhawk was decent (best SLC I have ever ridden)

Shivering Timbers was smooth and easily a top 10 wooden coaster

Huge lake in middle of the park with Swan Boats and Bumper Boats

Bought an on-ride photo for $8

Rode all 7 coasters in under three hours

Trabant flat ride looked cool

Ferris Wheel was a nice way to see the entire park

Shivering Timbers was a walk-on in the afternoon

Got in 10 laps on Shivering Timbers (can you tell I loved Shivering Timbers?)

The Not So Good:

Park is off the beaten path for most

My lunch was just ok (slice of pizza, bosco stick, and 20oz soda for $10)

Could not find any decent Shivering Timbers shirts (maybe I didn’t know where to look?)

Did not see a decent merchandise shop anywhere (again, maybe I just didn’t know where to look?)

Operations were a little slow at times

Wish they had a second train on Wolverine Wildcat (understand why they don't though)

Path dead ends by Shivering Timbers and Thunderhawk

I very much enjoyed my first ever trip to Michigan's Adventure. If I would have had more time there then I would have ridden more flat rides and water rides. Since my time was limited I focused on riding the 7 coasters and getting many laps on Shivering Timbers. I also rode the Timbertown Railway and the Ferris Wheel. As you can tell from my trip report Shivering Timbers is a GEM of a ride and I LOVED it! It is essentially THE ride that sealed my decision to drive the 6 hours North to visit Michigan's Adventure (I was at Kentucky Kingdom the previous day). It may be the coolest coaster I have ever seen entering an amusement park. I know there are the likes of GateKeeper and Fury 325 but Shivering Timbers was special in its own right. I will also say that for a traditional wood coaster built as high, fast, and long as it is very smooth. Kudos to Cedar Fair for keeping it that way. I was able to grab 10 laps on it during my visit and ranked it in my top 5 wooden coasters ridden.

Some final thoughts: I think it would be great if Michigan's Adventure would add another great coaster to their lineup in the future (this is just the coaster enthusiast in me talking so I understand if it isn't a feasable thing to do for this park). Can you imagine just how much better this park would be with a ride like Lightning Run, Intamin Mega-lite or a custom RMC coaster? Hopefully someday they will get a nice new coaster to compliment Shivering Timbers. It would be nice if they could extend a pathway from Shivering Timbers over to where Thunderhawk is located, making a complete circle around the lake. Maybe they could even build another great coaster to put back in that area too (I know, just the coaster enthusiast in me talking).

FullSizeRender.jpg.bea094667cf27dcd94ff8fbf40bbdeaa.jpg

What a sight driving in

999532055_STHE.jpg.4f96ed3fbca0e70fb62de2a0b7656489.jpg

Look at those hills!

IMG_7004.JPG.0ca122e7802a8602f5770cb47f7d1bf6.JPG

I finally made it

IMG_6957.JPG.921691b291a3fd3e34bcbf91b45aa3ba.JPG

This is why I am here

1693477797_Lakeboats.JPG.ca59440940a2ab5797d7d9dc983c827a.JPG

Bumper Boats

Lake.JPG.761db6d8ff7160b4564bcbf4a8cfc9e6.JPG

The lake was a neat aspect of this park

Raft.JPG.590bd68758a2aa6a323898271c1cc593.JPG

Nice looking raft ride

1869146856_STHiding.JPG.cea64bcfe193bcf544843dd0cb8c429b.JPG

I see you Shivering Timbers

1361047739_WolverineWildcat.JPG.ae7f13e738c2bfbe924886357dc39d9f.JPG

Wolverine Wildcat

Land.JPG.b159f2dc72b29c6a8efa3f41c49447f4.JPG

So much land to build that new coaster ;)

1428777123_Lakeswan.JPG.082c7b12dd2d3c21151fd518a30f218b.JPG

The Swan Boats were a nice touch

FW.JPG.822fa35b8082526f71520e6a63f18a62.JPG

I enjoyed the views from the Ferris Wheel

Corkscrew.JPG.9537219d68beab9a458393ef5341e35a.JPG

Look at all of that concrete! Oh and Corkscrew

1445163705_STqueue.JPG.2b300fe5a03a374d6f5bb7b9c109fde8.JPG

Timbers queue around 4pm Saturday = Happy Me

718487210_STPano.JPG.563b54fc8eef72d73a6f929bd3e04f40.JPG

Took a few panoramic shots

791941319_LakePano.JPG.5c654fcce0b57c9f713961aadb8a0aeb.JPG

Really liked the lake

1015496225_STParkPano.JPG.6b3a84935b0c92d0ad869b6093fcafd0.JPG

I mean seriously, this ride is incredible!

207639282_STPath.JPG.46f03c6c2db2a99914bc93b484863543.JPG

This coaster goes on forever

2979046_AirtimeHills.JPG.408de54443e60021827d50d72f0f482c.JPG

Airtime machine!

ORP.JPG.5aa89fcf6f74db1d08a8796ae7c021d9.JPG

Yup, it was worth the drive...I'm on the right looking crazy :)

Nice trip report! Sounds like you had a great visit.

You bring up a good point though, and it's something I never realize: I go to this park so frequently that I take for granted a lot of what it has to offer (the lake, the scenery, the rides). Glad you enjoyed yourself though! PS, I agree with your recommendations for future rides

Glad you had a good time! Shivering Timbers is incredible; one of the best coasters I've ever ridden, and really the only thing that makes this side trip worth it at all. I'm glad you liked Thunderhawk; I was dubious when people said it was good, as my previous 2 Vekoma SLC's were horrible, to put it nicely. It's a good ride! But yeah, Shivering Timbers is why you're here, and it totally delivers.

Shivering Timbers was smooth and easily a top 10 wooden coaster

Agreed! In fact, it's in my Top 10 overall, and I've ridden well over 200 coasters, so it's definitely more than deserving of all the accolades it gets, and is well worth going out of the way to ride (much like The Voyage is, in another small, off the beaten path park!)

Could not find any decent Shivering Timbers shirts (maybe I didn’t know where to look?)

It's not you. I searched high and low last year for a decent ST shirt, and in the end, found there was nothing all that great... I got an "okay" shirt in the end, just to have one, but it is a bummer that such a premier coaster doesn't have any shirts worthy of it available. (Of course, I found the same thing with Storm Chaser at KK... No shirts that just leapt off the shelf and said "buy me!")

Some final thoughts: I think it would be great if Michigan's Adventure would add another great coaster to their lineup in the future (this is just the coaster enthusiast in me talking so I understand if it isn't a feasable thing to do for this park). Can you imagine just how much better this park would be with a ride like Lightning Run, Intamin Mega-lite or a custom RMC coaster? Hopefully someday they will get a nice new coaster to compliment Shivering Timbers. It would be nice if they could extend a pathway from Shivering Timbers over to where Thunderhawk is located, making a complete circle around the lake. Maybe they could even build another great coaster to put back in that area too (I know, just the coaster enthusiast in me talking).

It's not the enthusiast in you at all. Common misconception... It's extremely feasible for MiA to have another great coaster or two, and it was actually the trajectory the park was on when it was sold to Cedar Fair. Granted, CF's taken it in a different direction, but it's certainly a "feasible" thing for the park. Also, pretty much every "GP" in Michigan I've ever talked to sees it the same way... It has nothing to do with being a "coaster enthusiast", and everything to do with having eyes, and common sense!

I'm glad you enjoyed the park, and definitely come back sometime, when you can enjoy it more fully, because besides ST, Wildwater Adventure is really the crown jewel of the park, and makes for a fun way to spend a hot afternoon!

^ Yes. I don't know how they've managed it when no one else has, but Thunderhawk is not painful in the least. And since you're not getting beat up, you can actually enjoy the ride.

You're crazy! lol It may very well be the "best" SLC, but it's FAR from being smooth, and my son and I both had a very painful, and crappy ride, just last year on it. Granted, in the front row, leaning forward, it was tolerable. But that's basically the best case scenario for any SLC I've been on... Just not a great coaster design, period... But at least we have the "best" here in Michigan!

^ Yes. I don't know how they've managed it when no one else has, but Thunderhawk is not painful in the least. And since you're not getting beat up, you can actually enjoy the ride.

You're crazy! lol It may very well be the "best" SLC, but it's FAR from being smooth, and my son and I both had a very painful, and crappy ride, just last year on it. Granted, in the front row, leaning forward, it was tolerable. But that's basically the best case scenario for any SLC I've been on... Just not a great coaster design, period... But at least we have the "best" here in Michigan!

Oh, let's make this clear. I didn't say it was smooth; I said it was smoother than the others. Relative to T3, which is probably the single worst coaster I've ever ridden, it's a dream. But only when comparing it to others of the same model is it smooth. I can handle a bit of roughness as long as it doesn't cause me pain. Gauntlet was mildly painful, T3 was definitely painful. Thunderhawk was not. I know coasters like this hit people differently, but I rode it once in the front and once in the back, and I enjoyed it.

Agreed! In fact, it's in my Top 10 overall, and I've ridden well over 200 coasters, so it's definitely more than deserving of all the accolades it gets, and is well worth going out of the way to ride (much like The Voyage is, in another small, off the beaten path park!)

Yeah I also put it in my overall top ten as well and as my number three wooden coaster. I didn't think it was possible but the ride really exceeded my expectations. There is so much airtime everywhere on all those hills. It felt like riding a wooden version of a B&M hyper but better. The first couple laps I took on the ride I thought it had a mid-course brake (since I was sitting in the back/middle and could not see the track). To my surprise when I sat in the front row and the train approached the elevated flat area mid-ride I was shocked the train did not stop and just sailed through the course. It put a smile on my face.

Relative to T3, which is probably the single worst coaster I've ever ridden

That was such a terrible, terrible minute and a half of my life!

I found T3 to be one of the smoother SLCs I've ridden. Granted, I'd only ridden Mind Eraser at SFNE before riding T3.

Relative to T3, which is probably the single worst coaster I've ever ridden

That was such a terrible, terrible minute and a half of my life!

I found T3 to be one of the smoother SLCs I've ridden. Granted, I'd only ridden Mind Eraser at SFNE before riding T3.

Mind Eraser at SFNE must be like falling down a rocky mountainside then!

Remember its a premier attraction at MIA

And this statement pretty much says all you need to know about MiA's ride collection! (Aside from the glorious erection that is Shivering Timbers! )

Imagine if MiA randomly announced that they were going to get a nice B&M of some sort. That would be heaven.

Not that it'll ever happen....but a coaster enthusiast can dream!

At this point, it's hard to imagine even a mid-tier Cedar Fair getting a B&M.

4 coasters in one year?

Ask Geauga lake how that worked out.

Yes, but they were all new and not used. But, I agree that four coasters in one year would be too much for a park the size of Michigan's Adventure. I could see this happening over a time period of a few years.

It would be hard and expensive for such a small park like Michigan's Adventure to buy and maintain 4 new coasters in a year. I would say that only 2 coasters in a year would be enough

Imagine if MiA randomly announced that they were going to get a nice B&M of some sort. That would be heaven.

Not that it'll ever happen....but a coaster enthusiast can dream!

At this point, it's hard to imagine even a mid-tier Cedar Fair getting a B&M.

Sadly, I could never see a B&M coming to MiA. However, I can see them getting a coaster from Premier Rides or Chance Morgan.

From what I've heard earlier on this thread, MiA doesn't have a good relationship with Chance after they got a faulty train or something. So I wouldn't count on a Chance roller coaster. I think a small euro-fighter is also much more likely costwise. A G-TX or Superman clone would cost about $7-8 million dollars, and a small euro-fighter (like the one at Nickelodeon Universe) would cost $3 million.

From what I've heard earlier on this thread, MiA doesn't have a good relationship with Chance after they got a faulty train or something. So I wouldn't count on a Chance roller coaster. I think a small euro-fighter is also much more likely costwise. A G-TX or Superman clone would cost about $7-8 million dollars, and a small euro-fighter (like the one at Nickelodeon Universe) would cost $3 million.

Yeah I'm not sure where that came from. Yes, they've been wanting to get a 2nd train for Timbertown Railway for a few years now, but I can tell you it's not a Chance. It was from some company out west that builds and restores replicas, but they're nowhere near the quality of them as a Chance CP Huntington as why they're having issues with it. This year is the closest I've ever seen it getting ready so could see it appear sometime mid-July.

The park still has a good standing with Chance, considering that they have 6 rides from them and send parts to them for refurbs. If that was the case, then they wouldn't even deal with Chance when it comes to those things.

We'll see what 2017 brings us. We already know that they're building a giant maintenance building behind the new Training Center and connecting to the county's sewer system, there's a ton of options for expansion coming. There's quite a few options, but we'll see how things go.

Yeah I'm not sure where that came from. Yes, they've been wanting to get a 2nd train for Timbertown Railway for a few years now, but I can tell you it's not a Chance. It was from some company out west that builds and restores replicas, but they're nowhere near the quality of them as a Chance CP Huntington as why they're having issues with it. This year is the closest I've ever seen it getting ready so could see it appear sometime mid-July.

The park still has a good standing with Chance, considering that they have 6 rides from them and send parts to them for refurbs. If that was the case, then they wouldn't even deal with Chance when it comes to those things.

We'll see what 2017 brings us. We already know that they're building a giant maintenance building behind the new Training Center and connecting to the county's sewer system, there's a ton of options for expansion coming. There's quite a few options, but we'll see how things go.

Where did you hear that they are hooking to city sewer?