TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

It never showed up in my trending feed... Apparently you spend too much time doing online things pertaining to Michigan's Adventure, that its mere opening is of great news significance to your personal feed!

I've only heard of Dave Mira once and don't like the Price is Right. I don't think it's based on personal preferences

There is a highly classified algorithm that Facebook uses to determine your personal trending topics (out of a large pool of possibilities), but your own activity on Facebook IS a part of it, to a certain extent at least.

Opening day photo report:

Funland Farm (I tried taking these in a way to get context clues from the background objects):

In the last image, you can see it was built around an existing service drive between Giant Gondola Wheel and the parking lot.

There used to be something here. Maybe a game or something:

As I mentioned in a previous post, Jr. Go Karts was indeed removed: (Hard to tell in this photo. Area was closed off)

Opening day photo report:

Funland Farm (I tried taking these in a way to get context clues from the background objects):

That is a tiny enclosure.

How were the crowds? It's hard to judge by these, but looks scarce.

They were all in line for the new drinking fountain of course.

The crowds were very scarce. I arrived a little before 1, and left by 230. Corkscrew was closed, and Thunderhawk was as well when I arrived. It did open right before I left though. Most of the food stands were closed, which I guess is due to not enough employees working. It started raining around 2 o'clock.

Also, something about ST's return to the station is different. I don't know how the braking used to work, but now the train moves 2 inches and stops, and this just keeps happening until it comes to a complete stop. It takes forever.

I didn't end up riding it because I knew there was a storm coming and wanted to leave beforehand. But they were running both trains, although I didn't happen to notice if they were loading both. I've seen them run both but only load 1 before. Only rode ST and the train yesterday.

I'm going to be here in about a week and a half, and I'm not opposed to getting a Fast Lane to get time in the waterpark. I know I like Tornadoes. Sell me on the rest of the waterpark. What else is worth getting a Fast Lane to ensure I get time to ride?

I feel like everyone missed this question. I'll be there on Saturday 6/4. I do enjoy waterparks, but I'll also be going to Kentucky Kingdom on this same trip. I've heard very good things about MiA's waterpark, though, and I would buy a Fast Lane if the waterpark is good enough to justify the cost. I only have the one day, and Shivering Timbers is the priority for me that day. So what in the waterpark would be good enough to justify the cost of a Fast Lane?

I'm going to be here in about a week and a half, and I'm not opposed to getting a Fast Lane to get time in the waterpark. I know I like Tornadoes. Sell me on the rest of the waterpark. What else is worth getting a Fast Lane to ensure I get time to ride?

I feel like everyone missed this question. I'll be there on Saturday 6/4. I do enjoy waterparks, but I'll also be going to Kentucky Kingdom on this same trip. I've heard very good things about MiA's waterpark, though, and I would buy a Fast Lane if the waterpark is good enough to justify the cost. I only have the one day, and Shivering Timbers is the priority for me that day. So what in the waterpark would be good enough to justify the cost of a Fast Lane?

I didn't see anywhere on their website that said Fastlane included slides in the water park. Unless you meant that you would spend the majority of your day in the water park and then use the Fastlane to breeze through the dry side?

From our experience, the ride side was pretty dead and the water park was mobbed. My suggestion would be to get their early, hit up the Tornado, Mine Shaft and Mammoth River as those usually have the longest waits in the water park. Or hit the dry side first and get Wolverine Wildcat and ST first and then take your chances on the water park later in the day.

Whatever you do, don't pass on the chance to ride ST in the front seat - it's really the only reason to visit this park!!!

I didn't see anywhere on their website that said Fastlane included slides in the water park. Unless you meant that you would spend the majority of your day in the water park and then use the Fastlane to breeze through the dry side?

From our experience, the ride side was pretty dead and the water park was mobbed. My suggestion would be to get their early, hit up the Tornado, Mine Shaft and Mammoth River as those usually have the longest waits in the water park. Or hit the dry side first and get Wolverine Wildcat and ST first and then take your chances on the water park later in the day.

Whatever you do, don't pass on the chance to ride ST in the front seat - it's really the only reason to visit this park!!!

I disagree...

Winkie the whale has been known to bring in the crowds. I recommend hitting that first.

Ok, so if lines aren't too bad on the dry side, Fast Lane wouldn't affect the day that much. That was the thought, poorly stated though it was, to speed up that half and buy waterpark time.

I'm going mostly for Shivering Timbers, and I think I've decided to do Wolverine Wildcat and ST first. I'm wondering maybe duck over to the waterpark then?

The question is really about quality, which is something I can't get on the park's website. Other than WW, ST, and Hydroblaster, everything else is a ride type I've been on before. So, since they won't be new experiences, I want to know which rides have good experiences. I'm not looking just to tick a box.

My first inclination was just to do Hydroblaster and not bother with the waterpark at all. But since then I've heard people praising it. So I guess I'm asking what in the waterpark is good enough that it shouldn't be missed?

^ Mine Shaft and Mammoth River were pretty unique in the water park - everything else looked like your typical water park attractions. Actually, I think those two and the Lazy River were the only attractions we did there because everything else had such long lines.

We did not ride Hydro Blaster so I can't speak to that, but if you're looking at specific attractions to hit besides WW and ST, I would say Grand Rapids and Loggers Run were both decent water rides.

Thunderhawk wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would and has a great lift hill view next to the lake. It actually surprised me because when I had ridden the same one at Geauga Lake a couple of years earlier, it kicked the crap out of me!

Oh...and the beer garden next to the lake was nice too - pricey, but relaxing.

And if you have time, I would recommend making the drive to Grand Rapids and hitting up the Founders Brewery if you are into that kind of thing. Great food and beer selections!

My typical schedule at MiA would be hitting wildcat and corkscrew first, because they only have one train each and the lines are really not worth it. I typically go on days where the dry side opens before the water park, so I head to the water park after hitting those, and leave the rest of the dry side for after the waterpark. In my experience, the line for tornado moves relatively quickly, while the lines for Mine Shaft and Mammoth River are dreadfully slow... So I would go for Tornado third. As for the other slides, if there aren't lines, go for all of them-- but if there are lines, Snake Pit and the innertube slides on the other side of the lazy river are worth your time moreso than any of the body slides. For the rest of the dry side? Thunderhawk is basically the smoothest SLC in the world; and the wild mouse (whose name escapes me) is one of the best wild mouse coasters I've ever been on, so I wouldn't discount that wither.

Also-- Founders (and Grand Rapids for that matter) is (are) fantastic. So definitely do that.

The Fast Lane would be a waste. I usually go around the park counter-clockwise. Hitting most flat-rides and the log ride. By the time I'm at Timbers, the waterpark is open. I head to the water park and ride most of the slides. Then ride Thunderhawk 2 or 3 times and then hit Grand Rapids. Then head back counter-clockwise and normally the dry-side is empty. If timed perfectly, Corkscrew and Zoomer can be a walk on.

I was at Michigan Adventure on Sunday. My thought its a nice little park. I was about and hour away doing something else. But have seen ST since it opened I could not pass up the change to ride it. The ride was great. I spent about 3 hours in the park I rode all the coast and rolled out. I will say the park was super clean and all the people I talked to were nice.

The water park looked nice but didn't have time to check it out. Its no Cedar point or kings island but with St you can never go wrong.

From what I say I would say a nice flat ride will be great for this park.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see what the rumor mill has produced this year...

- Kings Island is getting a wooden.

- Cedar Point is getting Mean Streak RMC'd.

- Vortex at CGA transitioning to a floorless.

- Canada's Wonderland is getting a new show similar to CGA's Mass Effect.

- Carowinds is receiving the flat ride collection.

- WOF - Flat ride collection.

Questionable.

- Kings Domion- No rumors. Tough to determine. They just got Delirium, and the massive water slide last year. I'd guess a coaster, but seems unlikely now.

- Knott's- Ghost Town improvements 2? Possible flat ride where either WindSeeker or the Swing ride where located.

- Like every year, Dorney Park Michigan's Adventure, and ValleyFair have to wait again.

The area behind Corkscrew and next to the farm, are both good areas for a flat ride. And, of course, thee expansion area beyond Grand Rapids continues to sit. Collecting dust.

Some day, I'm going to write a Blog post titled: "How I learned to stop worrying about Michigan's Adventure, and enjoy the park for what it is." In it, I will expound with great detail, precisely what is going on with Cedar Fair and their treatment of MiA, and many, many, logical, and factual, points, to back up my assertions. And the conclusion of the matter, is that I've accepted that MiA is what it is, and I need to appreciate it for that, and not ever, and I mean EVER, expect anything significant to come to the park again, because it'll put me in a better mood regarding the park. Then I will link to that blog post, every time somebody online posts about MiA, and what they're going to get (or not get) in the future. Because it will address why you're only setting yourself up for disappointment.

However, today, is not that day, so for now, you'll have to just trust me on this, and let go of any and all expectations of significant capital improvements at MiA, ever. Trust me, it's a happier place to live!

Let's be real: the only reason Cedar Fair even owns Michigan's Adventure is to make sure it doesn't compete with CP. Most of CP's attendance is from Michigan. The park was bought back in a day when SF was considering the park and already owned Geuaga Lake in Ohio. That's why CF bought it and pretty much ran it into the ground.

Don't expect a new coaster. You are expected to go to Cedar Point.

Let's be real: the only reason Cedar Fair even owns Michigan's Adventure is to make sure it doesn't compete with CP. Most of CP's attendance is from Michigan. The park was bought back in a day when SF was considering the park and already owned Geuaga Lake in Ohio. That's why CF bought it and pretty much ran it into the ground.

Don't expect a new coaster. You are expected to go to Cedar Point.

Dang it, WOFanatic! You're stealing my Blog post's thunder!!!