TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

• 3 weeks later...

Well.....

Looks like the park is getting the shaft on any new attractions next year. Cedar fair released the new attraction list park by park, and Michigan's adventure is void from it.

You can check out the list here from there press release.

http://ir.cedarfair.com/newsroom/press-releases/news-release-details/2015/Thrills-Will-Come-In-All-Sizes-With-Cedar-Fairs-Most-Innovative-Lineup-Of-New-Rides-And-Attractions-In-2016/default.aspx

Well.....

Looks like the park is getting the shaft on any new attractions next year. Cedar fair released the new attraction list park by park, and Michigan's adventure is void from it.

You can check out the list here from there press release.

http://ir.cedarfair.com/newsroom/press-releases/news-release-details/2015/Thrills-Will-Come-In-All-Sizes-With-Cedar-Fairs-Most-Innovative-Lineup-Of-New-Rides-And-Attractions-In-2016/default.aspx

Dorney and Worlds of Fun are also not listed, FYI. I do have a feeling though that it'll be another general improvement year for MiAd. I've heard several things will be happening though that'll be beneficial to the associates than guests. For one, the training center will be fully operational and I've also head that a new break area is also being planned. Yes, the park could use another ride, but if the associates are not happy, well, it'll make running a park a bit difficult.

The limited-time stuff I can see happening here though for the park's 60th season. I can imagine lots of discounts and 60th anniversary promotions happening. They might wait until after the New Year before they start promoting any of that. Timbers I can imagine will be getting another section re-tracked by GCI, probably the trick-track area since there's a rather bad "pot hole" at the end of it. And of course another coaster/ride could also be receiving an upgrade, much like Corkscrew did this year. Still hoping an IOE-revamped Mad Mouse is on the way in the near future! The water park might receive a splash of color since I heard that some of the slides will be receiving a new color scheme like the Speed Slides did this year.

There are plenty of things for the park to work on, just that other priorities can come first and it might not be what we want, but if it means something big will be coming in 2017, that's fine by me.

What is an IOE revamped Mad Mouse?

I think our best bet is that the slides are repainted to brighter and more vibrant colors. I've always wanted them to look better. New coaster here we come 2̶0̶1̶7̶,̶ ̶2̶0̶1̶8̶, 20... screw it.

IOE, or Irvine Ondrey Engineering has been a major contributor to ride control systems the past couple years and are actually based up here in Ann Arbor. They just recently completed a PLC upgrade for Valleyfair's Mad Mouse with a modern PLC system and control panel that should increase capacity and reliability. They're hoping that Cedar Fair will upgrade the other two for consistency, and to replace the aging ArrowVision system since it's extremely hard to troubleshoot now without any support you can call on, for obvious reasons.

CF bought the park to not compete with CP.

THIS

The park is what it is, and I have come to peace with that reality. Is it disappointing? Sure, since the potential here is huge! But it's still a great place to take the family for a day, once a year, and that's really all it needs to be - for me at least...

What is an IOE revamped Mad Mouse?

I think our best bet is that the slides are repainted to brighter and more vibrant colors. I've always wanted them to look better. New coaster here we come 2̶0̶1̶7̶,̶ ̶2̶0̶1̶8̶, 20... screw it.

VF's Mad Mouse ran a different system then the one at MIA and CGA

THIS

The park is what it is, and I have come to peace with that reality. Is it disappointing? Sure, since the potential here is huge! But it's still a great place to take the family for a day, once a year, and that's really all it needs to be - for me at least...

Under that logic, kings island would be more of a threat Than Michigan's adventure.

THIS

Under that logic, kings island would be more of a threat Than Michigan's adventure.

Most of CP's target audience is from Michigan. When a small park in West Michigan built 3 Coasters in 2 years and was screaming two parks for the price on one Detroit metro noticed!

Most of CP's target audience is from Michigan. When a small park in West Michigan built 3 Coasters in 2 years and was screaming two parks for the price on one Detroit metro noticed!

Any numbers to back this assertion up?

I'm going to second this opinion.

The difference for Kings Island is that they have a very nice market of Cincinnati, Columbus, Dayton, etc. to draw from. If you look at the surrounding area of Michigan's Adventure, it is easily understandable why the park is the size it currently is. Unlike Cedar Point's remote location (still very close to Detroit and Cleveland) that consists of a scenic peninsula and a rather large resort area surrounded by several other resorts to draw people into the area, Michigan's Adventure is a locals' park in a significantly smaller market. Adding more coasters isn't going to jump start this park into superstardom in the long-term. The ongoing "If you build it, they will come" logic when it comes to rides at Michigan's Adventure is a fallacy. The park is being operated based on its sustainable size.

Michigan's Adventure is near Muskegan though, which tends to have a huge tourist draw in the summer. I mean, I try to get out to the west side of the state for various reasons every summer, and it's nice hitting MiA while I'm over there. Detroiters love MiA, but when we're choosing between the two (MiA and CP) we're more-so thinking "Do we want to go on a bunch of water slides or on a bunch of roller coasters," and roller coasters usually wins. Quite frankly, if the previous owners had built that hyper as planned, we'd probably head over there a lot more often.

West Michigan's population sky rockets during the summer. I live in a small town called Whitehall 5 minutes north of MIA, and it is a beach town all the way. All the rental houses, hotels, and motels fill during the summer to enjoy miles and miles of Lake Michigan's sandy beaches! On top of the beaches people come for the dunes. Off roaders of all sorts travel the country to brave the dunes!

West Michigan's population sky rockets during the summer. I live in a small town called Whitehall 5 minutes north of MIA, and it is a beach town all the way. All the rental houses, hotels, and motels fill during the summer to enjoy miles and miles of Lake Michigan's sandy beaches! On top of the beaches people come for the dunes. Off roaders of all sorts travel the country to brave the dunes!

Not to mention that it's just over an hour from Chicago as well.

The difference for Kings Island is that they have a very nice market of Cincinnati, Columbus, Dayton, etc. to draw from. If you look at the surrounding area of Michigan's Adventure, it is easily understandable why the park is the size it currently is. Unlike Cedar Point's remote location (still very close to Detroit and Cleveland) that consists of a scenic peninsula and a rather large resort area surrounded by several other resorts to draw people into the area, Michigan's Adventure is a locals' park in a significantly smaller market. Adding more coasters isn't going to jump start this park into superstardom in the long-term. The ongoing "If you build it, they will come" logic when it comes to rides at Michigan's Adventure is a fallacy. The park is being operated based on its sustainable size.

It is absolutely at a "sustainable" size, but the argument that the only states in which the park can be are decline, stasis, or unsustainable growth is also a fallacy.

Especially when you consider just how packed this park gets on the weekends. Honestly, it's too small. We're not whining about not getting anything new because we want our podunk little park to receive some attention, we're whining about not getting anything new because MiA is not big enough for the crowds it actually gets.

And also, we want our podunk park to receive some attention. But it shouldn't be as much of a pipe dream as it is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

^^ Meh. Not much different than any of the other "Top Destinations" lists that you see on the web. My guess is that they were going for variety, family-friendly and cost-effective dependent on their locations in the mid-west.

While not the greatest Cedar Fair park in the chain, we still liked MiA despite it's quirky layout & location. One very good coaster & a good water park...very comparable to Darien Lake here in Western NY.