TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

^I only go on weekdays normally due to how busy the park is on weekends, literally impossible to get a night ride! Really want a nighttime ride on ST considering I've never had one and I've easily ridden it more than 200 times!

Also I heard from some friends that yesterday most of the stuff in the water park was closed. I know they have had staffing problems all year, but closing the wave pool on an insanely busy day seems to be a new low. The line for Mine Shaft and the other one ( ) was almost to the boardwalk fries stand! Also last week I was there and the same operators were on ST all day. There were only two at first, later a third came to join them. Still the park was dead at least during the week. They literally let people ride again if no one was waiting for their seat. Needless to say I only rode it a brain rattling 9 times. Still can't beat the 15 in one day I got a few years ago.

Did I miss official announcements from Dorney Park and California's Great America?

No, they haven't announced yet. Vortex getting converted to being Floorless is the big rumor for CGA, but I've never actually heard anything solid regarding that, aside from enthusiast speculation. I've always heard it assumed, and thus, have assumed it myself. But who knows... Maybe they're not getting anything major either...

As for Dorney, they haven't announced, and unless you count the enthusiast speculation/trolling about Shockwave going there (which, who knows, could actually happen I guess), I haven't even heard any solid rumors. It'll definitely be interesting to see what they end up getting, if anything...

Regarding MiA, I'm taking the stance that they are getting nothing next year, and will have no announcement! That way, if they do have an announcement, and get something, it'll be a pleasant surprise!

^Just a few notes:

-California's Great America is odd this year because it isn't just enthusiast speculation. The chain has confirmed it, but the park has not! In an article that included an interview with Matt Ouimet about the Amusement Dark portfolio, he talked about how the Rougarou conversion worked for Mantis. Then it was mentioned that they'd be doing it at their park near San Francisco. Later on, during the last quarterly conference call, it was stated that Vortex would be converted at CGA.

-I don't believe Shockwave will be going to Dorney. The pattern of the chain has kind of been "get rid of the stand-ups and bring more capacity". Mantis becomes Rougarou, SkyRider is sold and now Vortex becoming floorless. Its just the way its been going. Also, in an interview about the company's portfolio, Ouimet stated he doesn't believe in the "transplanted rollercoaster system" that Six Flags operates. He says its kind of like the "witness protection program for roller coasters". He basically says if you have to remove it from one park, how does it extend its service life in another? I find it kind of odd seeing as this is the same guy who wants to restore old rides to former glory, which is also kind of like a "second chance" like transplanting rides....but it is what it is. I think Shockwave is out and may be sold. That'll leave the rollercoaster at New York Las Vegas (formerly Manhattan Express) as the only Togo left in the USA.

-MiA is always the hardest park to call being in the market they are in and also the lowest attendance bracket. However, the infrastructure upgrades that have been going into the park have not been cheap and these are infrastructure upgrades that will help the park well into the future as well as be able to support more attractions. With the new employee center going up on the new land, I'll expect a shift with the employee parking lot to help open up more room for a waterpark expansion in the future. I think that may be the idea behind buying that land. Of course, less than half of the land that Cedar Fair owns is developed right now.

Looking into the future, I can see these being possibilities:

-Screamin' Swing Upcharge for 2016? Maybe. It could happen and I think it'd be a good fit. I wouldn't be surprised to see a SlingShot pop up eventually either. RipCord is fairly popular.

-A Disk'O? I think we'll see one here eventually. Whether it comes with a ride package/area (a la Route 76) or by itself. I think we'll see one.

-In Park Entertainment. I think we'll see one or two shows pop up sometime. The chain is really starting to focus on in park entertainment now too.

-Capsule drop slides? I think we'll get those just like many of the other chains wetsides! With the employee lot moved, they can go back there.

-Planet Snoopy? Might come too.

Cedar Fair's 5-Year investment plan looks really good from what was released at the conference call and I'm sure MiA fits in some of those categories.

Just because there hasn't been any major additions doesn't mean that the chain hasn't been spending money on the park. Those infrastructure upgrades have totaled well into the millions for the past few years. And now you got the whole issue with the city...again.

Take this as an interesting tidbit, but I know that the Muskegon County Tourism board is pressuring Cedar Fair into having a year round operation at MiA by trying to convince them to build an indoor waterpark resort. Maybe in the future but not the immediate future. I do see them buying Duck Creek eventually, and that would be a great business move IMHO.

15 minutes north of MIA is an indoor waterpark. Its called goldrush. I wonder what Muskegon County thinks of Cedar Fair. The old owners were gonna build a campground (still did) Morgan hyper, and a hotel on the property. Cedar Fair comes in, promises the world, and haven't really delivered. I guess only time will tell

How busy is Gold Rush during the winter?

I know people are expecting a ride next year because it's the 60th anniversary, but I highly doubt it. The park had another busy year so there really isn't a need to boost attendance with a ride. Recent Cedar Fair history shows that anniversaries don't warrant big investments. If anything is coming to the park next year I would expect it to be a small scale anniversary celebration.

I'd settle for a Halloween event. The popular opinion seems to be that there aren't enough indoor locations to use but it can be done. The bumper car enclosure and the 2 large picnic areas would work fine, Cedar Point uses theirs to great effect. Also SFGAm uses their drained rapids ride, something similar could be done with Grand Rapids. There are distinct scare zone possibilities on the midways as well. There is PLENTY of Halloween love in Michigan, just ask our many other pro class haunted attractions...

I'd settle for a Halloween event. The popular opinion seems to be that there aren't enough indoor locations to use but it can be done. The bumper car enclosure and the 2 large picnic areas would work fine, Cedar Point uses theirs to great effect. Also SFGAm uses their drained rapids ride, something similar could be done with Grand Rapids. There are distinct scare zone possibilities on the midways as well. There is PLENTY of Halloween love in Michigan, just ask our many other pro class haunted attractions...

The foliage around the train is tall and thick. The could make some intense scare mazes through there. Grand Panics could be cool in a drained grand rapids. That 100+ acres of field next to Timbers would be great scare zones. It could work. But is never gonna happen. West Michigan weather is to unpredictable. Plus they cant get enough workers to run rides, let alone walk through haunts. But thats more a reputation thing then population thing.

The couple times I have been to Gold Rush the place was pretty busy.

How busy is Gold Rush during the winter?

I know people are expecting a ride next year because it's the 60th anniversary, but I highly doubt it. The park had another busy year so there really isn't a need to boost attendance with a ride. Recent Cedar Fair history shows that anniversaries don't warrant big investments. If anything is coming to the park next year I would expect it to be a small scale anniversary celebration.

ValleyFair, Kings Domion and Kings Island all have/ had special events planned for their 40th anniversary. Also DorneyPark had events planned for their 130th year. Anyways, the people over on FaceBook are starting to get restless.

Did I miss official announcements from Dorney Park and California's Great America?

No, they haven't announced yet. Vortex getting converted to being Floorless is the big rumor for CGA, but I've never actually heard anything solid regarding that, aside from enthusiast speculation. I've always heard it assumed, and thus, have assumed it myself. But who knows... Maybe they're not getting anything major either...

As for Dorney, they haven't announced, and unless you count the enthusiast speculation/trolling about Shockwave going there (which, who knows, could actually happen I guess), I haven't even heard any solid rumors. It'll definitely be interesting to see what they end up getting, if anything...

If we're taking recent trends into account (at Dorney), maybe they'll ship Hydra's trains to California in exchange for PGA's Vortex trains.

*ducks*

Plus they cant get enough workers to run rides, let alone walk through haunts. But thats more a reputation thing then population thing.

Not sure why that would be, The Haunt in Walker gets so many volunteers they can sort through for keepers it's unreal. If they were to advertise auditions for MiA Halloweekends, it would be like the gathering of the Juggalos in whitehall.

CF has not built any more Zamperla Disk'os since 2013 (2 years) and I strongly doubt that one would come to MA. Now, I could see a 2017 Larson loop, but 2016 is going to be screaming swing- I'm told $2, 1 ride operator

Who's your source of you don't mind me asking? And where will it be placed in the park since you're in the know?

CF has not built any more Zamperla Disk'os since 2013 (2 years) and I strongly doubt that one would come to MA. Now, I could see a 2017 Larson loop, but 2016 is going to be screaming swing- I'm told $2, 1 ride operator

You put assumptions with proclaimed facts.

Who is your source?

• 4 weeks later...

It seems that MIA and Dorney are fighting to be the last park in the CF chain to announce their ride

I wonder who's going to win. (Unless one of the parks aren't getting anything which is a very high probability based on the lack of rumors for Dorney)