TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

The couple times I ate at back yard bbq it was all you could eat.

I assume it is pretty standard BBQ fare: pulled pork, brisket, ribs, stuff like that...? Definitely sounds good to me!

EDIT: NVM... I just noticed online that it says what they serve, and it looks like the BBQ is used more to refer to stuff that gets grilled on a BBQ grill, as opposed to BBQ food - except for the chicken. Still has the potential to be pretty good though!

Edited by DILinator

The couple times I ate at back yard bbq it was all you could eat.

I assume it is pretty standard BBQ fare: pulled pork, brisket, ribs, stuff like that...? Definitely sounds good to me!

I always chowed down on like quadruple cheeseburgers and dogs haha

From the website: "As the afternoon heat begins to settle, stop by the BBQ for an all you can eat feast! Hotdogs, Hamburgers, BBQ Chicken, Macaroni & Cheese, Corn on the Cob, Macaroni and Potato Salad, Potato Chips, Fresh Fruit, Ice Cream Cups, and soft drinks."

^ That is great! They need a new group sales person. Someone who will bring in hot dog eating contests, concerts, and big groups of people to the park. Muskegon just had 2 huge bike festivals. They should of had a ride your motorcycle to MIA and get 10 off admission ect

^ That is great! They need a new group sales person. Someone who will bring in hot dog eating contests, concerts, and big groups of people to the park. Muskegon just had 2 huge bike festivals. They should of had a ride your motorcycle to MIA and get 10 off admission ect

I'm game. In my line of work, I'm all about promotions. I just love that kind of stuff. Marketing and Sales are one of my fortes!

Anyway, the Coaster Campout for this park is intriguing. Are any other parks in the chain planning a campout this year? Wondering where the camping area will be. Honestly, it's a good deal if you can pack 4 into the tent (just like Cedar Points) $50 per person, food and admission included plus a night at an great park.

Wondering if maybe we'll get some "teasers" of a potential 2016 attraction at this years campout (Camp Rou? )

This must be the first year. I just did a quick query and it looks like most of the CF parks are doing this, though not necessarily on this same day. Also, most of the parks include admission on both days, but not MA. Worlds of Fun claims to have 200 spaces, versus 20 at Michigan's Adventure.

I never wrote a trip report but I visited the park on July 17 (Friday) and I have some comments:

I arrived at 5 and left at 7 and the dry side was empty, it made me kind of sad to see that there was nobody there

I did a ride on Shivering Timbers which I missed so dearly since being over a year since I last got to ride it. It was running better than ever. The helix retracking is amazing. Unfortunately it closed right after this and was down the rest of the time I was there

I took a 1 ride on almost everything else with all walk ons. Thunderhawk is running worse and worse each time I ride it.

The waterpark was packed of course but I didn't go in there at all. Although I noticed they painted the old speed slides yellow and orange.

Why are they growing pumpkins near the train station??? Cedar Point and now here? What's going on Cedar Fair?!?

All the employees were slow and unenthusiastic. All the rides were understaffed as well.

I think the first place this park needs to start is entertainment. It is the only Cedar Fair park with no live entertainment and I feel like it could really use it.

It's sad to return here and see that the only thing that has changed is that it's gotten more depressing. No crowds, half empty trains, unenthusiastic employees. There's no energy and it's sad to see that at a place that is supposed to be full of energy. Where as with a place like Cedar Point where the employees are hyper 24/7, singing songs, and the constant "Welcome back riders!!!!!" and the train screams in response... Maybe someday

I never wrote a trip report but I visited the park on July 17 (Friday) and I have some comments:

I arrived at 5 and left at 7 and the dry side was empty, it made me kind of sad to see that there was nobody there

I did a ride on Shivering Timbers which I missed so dearly since being over a year since I last got to ride it. It was running better than ever. The helix retracking is amazing. Unfortunately it closed right after this and was down the rest of the time I was there

I took a 1 ride on almost everything else with all walk ons. Thunderhawk is running worse and worse each time I ride it.

The waterpark was packed of course but I didn't go in there at all. Although I noticed they painted the old speed slides yellow and orange.

Why are they growing pumpkins near the train station??? Cedar Point and now here? What's going on Cedar Fair?!?

All the employees were slow and unenthusiastic. All the rides were understaffed as well.

I think the first place this park needs to start is entertainment. It is the only Cedar Fair park with no live entertainment and I feel like it could really use it.

It's sad to return here and see that the only thing that has changed is that it's gotten more depressing. No crowds, half empty trains, unenthusiastic employees. There's no energy and it's sad to see that at a place that is supposed to be full of energy. Where as with a place like Cedar Point where the employees are hyper 24/7, singing songs, and the constant "Welcome back riders!!!!!" and the train screams in response... Maybe someday

I noticed all of these as well. It is very saddening.

I wonder how much Sky Rocket at Kennywood was, it's a compact coaster that has gotten decent reviews. It's probably no Lightning Run, but since MIA has a soured relationship with chance maybe a ride like SR would be a nice alternative.

I think if they got a new ride, visitors and employees might have a boost of morale.

Wait what? I haven't seen that anywhere yet.

I'm really surprised at how bad the employees have been this year and understaffed. Do any of you think that since the park doesn't provide housing could be an issue? I mean the park is in the middle of nowhere.

Lots of parks have some sort of system set up for dorms - Lake Compounce used to use ones from the Community College down the street. Six Flags New England used an old motel; it came under fire when an international employee was killed trying to cross the street, an act Six Flags made grounds for termination EVEN IF YOU USED THE PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE. But I digress. Cedar Point's dorm system is different in that it is open to *all* and not merely internationals (people who've been brought in on short term visas to work). People come from far and wide domestically to go work at Cedar Point. That may make the employees there a bit more like carnies than the average park, but there's some degree of professionalism that comes of that too.

Anyways, Michigan's Adventure doesn't have dorms, doesn't provide transportation options for people from the city or surrounding areas of Muskegon without cars to work there, and doesn't bring in people on visas to work there as far as I know.

MIA is 10-15ish minutes north of Muskegon. Which is a decent sized town. They shouldn't have trouble getting workers. People just dont want to work. I used to work there and didnt mind it, but I hear now there not flexable on hours and wont work with people.

MIA is 10-15ish minutes north of Muskegon. Which is a decent sized town. They shouldn't have trouble getting workers. People just dont want to work. I used to work there and didnt mind it, but I hear now there not flexable on hours and wont work with people.

If you don't have a car (lots of teenagers probably don't), then you'd need to get to the park by public transportation, and they really don't do anything to help with that. There's plenty of people in America looking for work - if they can't find people to do it, they either aren't paying enough to make it look attractive and/or aren't providing the sort of infrastructure to get employees to work that they need. That's on them. If they can't get people to work there because a Macy's will offer similar pay & benefits, who's fault is that?

If you don't have a car (lots of teenagers probably don't), then you'd need to get to the park by public transportation, and they really don't do anything to help with that. There's plenty of people in America looking for work - if they can't find people to do it, they either aren't paying enough to make it look attractive and/or aren't providing the sort of infrastructure to get employees to work that they need. That's on them. If they can't get people to work there because a Macy's will offer similar pay & benefits, who's fault is that?

I believe the mat bus's (Muskegon area transportation) has a stop there now.