TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

There is suppose to be a second train for Timbertown by now, but last I knew, it was sitting out in the employee parking lot missing the engine. Considering we've been waiting to see this second train for the past 4 seasons, at this point you'd think they'd get a new one that didn't have such terrible build quality as that's all I've heard of that train. Heck, I'd just go out and buy a second Chance CP Huntington since obviously the quality of that one isn't up to the park's standards.

In other news, the new training facility is looking nice when I saw it the other day. Much bigger than I was expecting. Didn't get a chance to snap any pictures of it, but it did have shingles on the roof and the vapor barrier on the outside. Did surprise me that it's a traditional wood structure instead of brick-and-mortar like every other building on the property.

Actually, a Windseeker at 200ft would provide some spectacular views of the surrounding area, especially of Lake Michigan since the park is only 8 miles away from the lakeshore. Ripcord does have some pretty great views at 183ft, although it's a bit tough to view since you're laying down and only up there for a few seconds before you have to pull the ripcord. Gondola Wheel is only about 90ft tall, so the views from it are not as impressive as if they were viewed from 200ft.

Michigan's Adventure Foolishly bought a "New" CP Huntington from Katiland Trains, which has been involved in a lot of Lawsuits, including one for a Unit in New Orleans City Park that has never worked correctly. MIA is better off buying an older Chance CPH than a New One, since the Older Units are Easier to Maintain and have Fewer Mechanical Problems than the Newer Units.

This is definitely a recent photo since you can see where they retracked Shivering Timbers.

I agree! I do a lot of Google Maps "stalking" (don't worry, not of people, just places - especially amusement parks!), and Michigan's Adventure's satellite image, even as recent as last week, was old, and very blurry. This is MUCH better (and newer!)

Yea I was talking to people from MIA that said the new train wasn't a chance train like the original. They said chance burned there last bridge with the park lol. They went on to say that the "NEW" train wasn't actually new like it was supposed to be and that it was a cobbled mess

So does that mean no Chance Hyper GT-X? Is MA the only Cedar Fair park that has a relationship with Chance?

A little birdie told me that a Chance gtx is 100 percent out of the question.

MIA and Chance used to have a good relationship. Almost all of the flats at one point were chance (sea dragon, falling star, be bob blvd, trabant, timbertown, big dipper, and various kiddie rides. They said that relationship is burnt now. Im gonna stick to my guess of a discko or bowl slide at most. .02

Well that is unfortunate. A Disk'O would be interesting, although after I rode CP's on Friday, it took a couple hours to recover. I certainly would like to see some new food options, particularly ones that qualify with All Season Dining plan.

If a Chance Hyper GT-X is no longer possible, then I feel like the only other coaster possibility for the near future is a GCI wooden coaster (they could use a twister woodie as a contrast their two out-and-backs). Unfortunately, MiA isn't large enough to support anything from B&M or Intamin (maybe something relocated, but not brand-new).

If a Chance Hyper GT-X is no longer possible, then I feel like the only other coaster possibility for the near future is a GCI wooden coaster (they could use a twister woodie as a contrast their two out-and-backs). Unfortunately, MiA isn't large enough to support anything from B&M or Intamin (maybe something relocated, but not brand-new).

They already have 3 wood coasters. One of which is great

They will keep saving and in the future we will see what they have up there sleeves. They will always be a little park in cedar points bubble territory. The waterpark is the main draw. They wont ever build a drop tower, and they seem to turn there heads to other thrill rides. They could of got knotts windseeker but turned it down. I see a small flat here and there and water park additions. Sad but true

Well that's a bummer, going from thinking the park may get a Hyper GTX to maybe a Disk-O or nothing. Maybe they'll dump Shockwave there

Discko is better then nothing. Considering there lack of new attractions 3 of the last 4 years it would be welcome. They have the smallest maintenance budget of the chain, and are hesitant to go with unreliable attractions that would eat into said budget. sigh

Only time will tell.

For having the smallest maintenance budget, down-time sure seems to be low. I'm sure whatever their maintenance budget is, it's suitable for the park's operations and would be adjusted accordingly if another large attraction was implemented. Smallest budget for the smallest park seems to make sense.

Yea I was talking to people from MIA that said the new train wasn't a chance train like the original. They said chance burned there last bridge with the park lol. They went on to say that the "NEW" train wasn't actually new like it was supposed to be and that it was a cobbled mess

Yeah, Katiland Trains buys old CPH Locos and "Refurbishes" them with God Knows What, and Sells them as "New." I haven't heard of any of the "New" Katiland CP Huntingtons not having Giant Mechanical Problems. New Orleans City Park also Traded in 2 of their old CPH Locomotives and still paid over 200K for a Loco and 4 Coaches.

They used to be, but not sure if that's still the case.

As far as I've been told, all Cedar Fair Parks are all still operated as Individual Business Units.

I'm really disappointed to see that their agreement with Chance is gone. That really took my hopes down for next year. Too be honest, I wouldn't be surprised to see another dead year.

Thank you Google Earth!! June 1, 2015!! The most recent image was from 2008 or so. This new one is so clear is awesome. A couple things i noticed.

How long has the train shed been there? I've never noticed it.

I've been seeing people post about wanting a new "Mammoth-esque slide". The waterpark is landlocked and really no area for expansion other then the employee parking lot area.

The other thing, are those the old go-karts? They look like it. They don't look like the old bumper cars.

A question for my Western Michigan brethren, and regular MiA attenders... What have the crowds been like this summer so far during the week? I am taking the family August 4th (a Tuesday), and am hoping for a lighter crowd. However, the last time I went was a mid-week in August, and it was still fairly busy... I'm just curious what it's been like lately so far, for people that go regularly.

I was at the park last Monday, and it wasn't busy at all. I should mention that I didn't arrive until probably around 4pm though and I didn't go to the waterpark. Most rides were walk on. But my favorite ride, Lakeside Gliders, was closed.

I think the water park has a lot of room for expansion. There are probably some attractions that could be retired. Also, it's unfortunate that the main wave pool isn't located further back. Maybe (1% chance) they'll dismantle that pool and rebuild it, similar to what they did at Kings Island. At the same time, the amount of land they cleared for the training facility seems like overkill. Maybe they are planning on moving parking to that area so the current parking lot can be used for other things.