TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

I believe it has to do with the airspace and the proximity to Lake Michigan. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it has to do with the Coast Guard choppers. I usually seen them fly over the park a couple times a month. The park is only about 7 miles away from the Lake MI shoreline so that might have something to do with it. The park is too far away from the Muskegon County Airport so I don't think it has anything to do with that.

Or it might have something to do with ancient township rulings that probably have something to keep the "skyline of Lake Michigan pure." For instance, the huge 650ft tall stack at the B.C. Cobb Consumers Energy Plant in Muskegon, can be seen from all of the rides that go above the tree lines. It's the tallest structure in the area and can be seen for miles. That's more than likely the reason so that those "dirty plants" back then wouldn't be built in that area.

Generally, it is 210 feet and its mostly township restrictions. Even though the Coast Guard does fly nearby, the base is out of Muskegon County Airport. For the most part, the airport does not affect the city (afterall, Cedar Point was closer to Sandusky-Griffing than MiA is to MKG. MKG has scheduled air carriers though, so that is a huge difference).

The park can seek exemptions so they can build above the height limit. if a SlingShot was to be built for 2015 and be over 200 feet, I'm sure we'd hear whispers about it my now.

Had a friend drive by the park today as he was heading to family's house for Easter and he told me that the skyline is unchanged, so no Slingshot or anything like that. Also the arcade building is still standing from what he could see and and really nothing else has changed visibly outside of the park.

He did say though that the helix on Shivering Timbers is being re-tracked again. It was re-tracked back in 2013, but I heard that it was done horribly. I do wonder if GCI will be working on Timbers again as they did an awesome job with the turnaround last year, even tweaking the exit banking coming out of the planned MCBR. I was kind of surprised that the helix was being re-tracked instead of something else on the course (that bump coming out of the trick track, oy...) but I'm also kind of not surprised since the helix was done poorly.

Also the lot next door that the park bought, nothing has been done there besides the old abandoned house being torn down last year. I do wonder what they're planning on doing there as it's a rather large chunk of land at 10 acres.

Timbers getting a MCBR would ruin that amazing ride

Anyways, I pasted Lighting Run into MIA

There won't ever be a MCBR there unless the park decides to add a 3rd train to Timbers. Then it'll have to be added to ensure there's enough safety blocks. CCI did this on several of their bigger coasters if the park requested it. Of course until the park doubles in size and Timbers has a constant 1-hour line, a 3rd train thus the MCBR won't be added.

That Lightning Run is definitely not to scale. If it was double the size, then sure it'll be that big, but that scale is way off. This is more how it'll look if they were to get a Lightning Run clone. (let's hope it's not a clone, more of an original layout.)

miad.thumb.jpg.46e8a0ced840f095531e87a3f9d4b47a.jpg

Edited by Lareson

I did get word that they are planning on adding something to the park this year, although it's more of a benefit to the people that work at the park than the public. Heard that they're planning on adding a new training facility on the new chunk of property they bought last year. Unsure how big it's going to be but considering that the chunk of property is about 10 acres, I'm sure it's not going to be a tiny building. Also heard that a new employee lot will also be part of it as well.

I think this is a huge expansion for the park as training and orientations were always being taught in one of the pavilions, either at Mary Lynn's or Family Grill. If a new employee lot is going to be part of it, then I can see them to start planning the next water park expansion as well to use up some of the lot.

Yeah, it's sounding like there are some big plans coming for the park in the next 5 years, starting next year with the park's 60th anniversary and the major investment they have attached to that.

I did get word that they are planning on adding something to the park this year, although it's more of a benefit to the people that work at the park than the public. Heard that they're planning on adding a new training facility on the new chunk of property they bought last year. Unsure how big it's going to be but considering that the chunk of property is about 10 acres, I'm sure it's not going to be a tiny building. Also heard that a new employee lot will also be part of it as well.

I think this is a huge expansion for the park as training and orientations were always being taught in one of the pavilions, either at Mary Lynn's or Family Grill. If a new employee lot is going to be part of it, then I can see them to start planning the next water park expansion as well to use up some of the lot.

Yeah, it's sounding like there are some big plans coming for the park in the next 5 years, starting next year with the park's 60th anniversary and the major investment they have attached to that.

Just curious, where did you hear that 2016 will be a major year for Michigan's Adventure?

Just curious, where did you hear that 2016 will be a major year for Michigan's Adventure?

Internet and if its on the internet it must be true!

The GM herself said at the end of last year that there was "major capital to be announced" but yet nothing was announced. The rumor Screamscape said about a Hyper-GTX coming (which I do have to say, some MiAd rumors on Screamscape have been correct before in the past) is an excellent lead and besides the rumors about Cedar Point's dive coaster, no other park in the chain has been hinting towards adding a coaster. Also the park's 60th anniversary is next year, which also has been hinting towards being a major capital year.

I'd also like to mention, the rumors about a coaster coming to Canada's Wonderland for 2016 has had zero leads so far, only speculation. By now we would of had some sort of lead if a major coaster would be coming. We've known about Banshee, Fury, and Gatekeeper months, even years, before the parks stated that a coaster was coming.

Gatekeeper's rumors going back to late 2011: http://web.archive.org/web/20120205173139/http://www.screamscape.com/html/cedar_point.htm

Banshee had rumblings going back to early 2013: http://web.archive.org/web/20130411010821/http://screamscape.com/html/kings_island.htm

Fury was all but confirmed back in late 2013: http://web.archive.org/web/20131016123438/http://screamscape.com/html/carowinds.htm

Leviathan was starting prep work around this time in 2011, so we'd have to see if this so called coaster is coming when the park opens.

http://web.archive.org/web/20110702003259/http://www.screamscape.com/html/canada_s_wonderland.htm

^ They have well over 100 acres of unused land behind Wildcat and next to Timbers

Way to early to speculate, but my fingers are crossed that they get a Chance Hyper with a Lighting Run style twister layout!!!!

If the park was going to do a major expansion, I think they should focus on that path between thunderhawk and timbers. This would connect the two sides of the park, and save a bunch of walking.

This was a huge rumor 5-8 years ago that never happened. It really gained steam when Thunderhawk opened.

To be honest it would ruin the train. I think they should connect the path when more stuff is added over there.

The train route is far from scenic and it takes up a prime spot for expansion. I would love to see a multi year expansion in that area with a coaster and some flats. The train can always be rerouted, but it wouldn't be a big loss if it was removed. If a large attraction is coming next year then I hope there are signs before the season ends.

^ They have well over 100 acres of unused land behind Wildcat and next to Timbers

.....with a train blocking it. How much walking time would going around behind all of that really save?

There's actually already a service road that runs back between the train and Thunderhawk/Wolverine Wildcat. It's fairly large and there is plenty of room to pave that and turn it into an actual path and put in a new service road next to it OR keep that service road and put in a new path.

There wouldn't be much room to add rides or attractions on that path. Maybe a flat or two and a restaurant or food stand. Any future attractions I bet will have to deal with the train somehow or sit adjacent to Grand Rapids. The connecting "midway" would help a lot though.

You can see in the picture were the service road connects TImbers to the Thunderhawk area. The train makes a big turn east and clears up some land. Only problem with that area is that the parks garbage area is behind wildcat grill. There is more then enough room for a path and some small infill between the 2 midways. You can also see where the path goes between Grand Rapids and Timbertown railway for future expansion

391880229_googlemapsMIA.thumb.png.dea50cb5934254dd9e035739de58d297.png

New Dodgem cars anyone?

11160590_10153563848406758_1516066719906349993_n.jpg?oh=14994bac036642869fe8eaa76facfc90&oe=559B7D21

11008570_10153563848531758_1513675865101041231_n.jpg?oh=79afa67a3154652e85143734967278e6&oe=55E3B5AC

11130173_10153563850076758_6878772636832293706_n.jpg?oh=ca8fc2d674f6c6ad99e922734aae63bb&oe=55AF1150&__gda__=1437311321_e97e6163da9d67bf85e960ef9e15a60b

They're finally replacing the old ones from Cedar Point! These new ones are from Preston & Barbieri and look very nice! They're the same company that provided Quantum of the Seas with their bumper cars and also the ones Liseberg bought in 2010. I'm not surprised at all that they have lap bars with the seat belt, but anything's an improvement over those old Soli cars. They were in rough shape. Do wonder if they're planning on lowering the height requirement from the 48" requirement it was for the old cars, or keeping it the same.