TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

Thanks everyone for shedding some light on the "No Haunt" situation. Despite what has been said, I still think they could maybe at least have weekend operation until the of September. Same thing goes for the beginning of the season, as they could probably open a week or two earlier.

I don't get the whole sound ordinance thing. The park is in the middle of nowhere. The only things near it that I remember are a racetrack, golf course, and now the campground.

Can't disturb them golfers

There's actually a funny story to go along with this. Beach Party, the recently built play structure that has the 90ft+ geyser on it, well a horn goes off to signify the geyser. The first year it was open, the horn was rather loud and could be heard from across the park. The following season, the horn became rather quiet and can now be heard only in the immediate vicinity.

I have a feeling a couple golfers complained to the park about that horn going off every 15 minutes. Gotta get those birdies!

It is halfway through January now. What is everyone's deadline on the last possible day for the 2015 announcement? With sounds of Cedar Point, Canada's Wonderland and possibly one other park getting coasters for 2016 the likely hood of getting a coaster for 2016 are very low.

Unfortunately, I don't think MiA will be announcing anything for this year. Hopefully they at least get something in 2016. Screamscape did post a rumor of a possible Chance Hyper GT-X in 2016, but I'm not sure what to think of it.

I doubt the park is making any additions next year. If they announce anything it will probably be some weekend event.

Like others have mentioned I think the park doesn't have a haunt due to a lack of staff. After the season they go off to college or are in high school. I doubt the people who live relatively close want to drive all that way for a weekend job. I'm ruling out the weather because it doesn't get that cold. If Valleyfair and Canada's Wonderland can deal with the weather then MiA can too. I don't know anything about a sound ordinance, but I would be a bit surprised if there was one. I would like to see the park try a haunt someday, but it may never happen.

I can confirm that there will be no new rides this year, as what I've been told. I don't know about any of the other improvements, such as the tearing down of the arcade or the remodeling of the water park entrance though. Those probably won't be announced until a much later date, probably once construction can start, which hopefully will be by the end of February if the weather cooperates. I've been meaning to drive by the park to take a look, but the weather up here took a bad turn this past weekend. I won't be back up in the area for quite some time.

The only new thing for rides I can think of would be the 2nd train for Timbertown Railway. I know it's been in the planning stages for a few years now, but I'm hoping this will finally be the year it'll be completed considering they built a shed for it last year. The train wait would finally be cut in half and the capacity doubled, which is a good thing for that considering on busy days, you might have to wait another cycle before you can ride because the train would fill up.

MIchigan's Adventure just posted their 2015 operating schedule, and they will apparently be open an extra weekend this year, but probably only because of when Labor Day happens to fall.

Also, why is it that all Cedar Fair operating calendars have that glitch on the first week where every day is shifted over to the left one day?

1357955374_Screenshot2015-01-17at9_03_47AM.thumb.png.b2bb7388f29ef1eb48efa5def6fbf586.png

MIchigan's Adventure just posted their 2015 operating schedule, and they will apparently be open an extra weekend this year, but probably only because of when Labor Day happens to fall.

Also, why is it that all Cedar Fair operating calendars have that glitch on the first week where every day is shifted over to the left one day?

That is the strangest set of hours I've seen here. May 22nd is a rather odd time, 10a-4p, as it's usually a 10a-5p day when they do the Thursday off week. Also the 3 days in June its 10a-6p is also unusual. Only thing I can think of as to why the hours are like that is maybe school is getting out that week or something, but it's just a rather strange schedule.

Here's last year's calendar for comparison.

1127919027_opcalendar.thumb.jpg.f3fc2e0b17043d1ec705aa03ee396ee2.jpg

That glitch you're seeing though for the first week of the month, I'm not seeing it, looks normal for me. I'm using Chrome by the way.

Why on earth would they choose a Wednesday for opening day? I would think you'd want to choose a Friday or Saturday when most people are off work and school.

And then they are closed the day after! This is the most bizarre schedule I've ever seen!

Yep, the 20th is Physics Day. It's normally about 90% schools, although there are a few season pass holders that will come in. There are some years where they start on that Wednesday and take Thursday off (for some unknown reason) and then say that Friday is when the park is "officially" open. While some seasons, they still open on that Wednesday, but won't do Thursday off. This has always been a rather weird schedule.

Things have changed since Rock the Coast, a rather large Christian music concert event, was stopped by the organizers (they said they'd rather focus on their big Unity music festival than having to worry about this event) as normally Rock the Coast would run that Thursday and Friday, but they changed that in 2013 to be Memorial Weekend, then the event was dropped in 2014.

The schedule for this park is probably one of the few parks that I know of that the schedule is usually never the same year-to-year. I know one year (think it was 2010?) where they tried to stay open until 10p on Fridays during July and August, but the following year it went back to only 10p closings on Saturdays.

Also if anyone is curious about this, there is no early entry this year. They tried it last year, but a majority of the people don't get to the park until after it opens so it was kind of pointless as there was nobody using it. I remember one morning I went into the park to try it and I think there might of been a grand total of 10 people who went through. Was nice though getting an early walk-on ride on Shivering Timbers before the horde of people.

• 3 weeks later...
Looks like they bought the house for sale north of the employee parking. Hopefully they can move the warehouses there and free some land up for waterpark expansions!

http://www.screamscape.com/html/michigan-s_adventure.htm

I posted that a month ago and that's actually the image I put together. I didn't send the tip to Screamscape, but that's OK.

So, I got bored one night while looking around for a house in the area and I stumbled across a property map for Muskegon county and come to find out, the park had bought a section of property. I know previously that chunk of land had an abandoned house on it and was up for sale, but I think as of last year, the property was bought and the house torn down, but just didn't know who bought it at the time. Could open up a few possibilities though, such as expanded employee parking, or maybe a new HR building to give a bit more expansion room for the water park where the current HR building is right now. http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1541589#p1541589

Edited by Lareson