TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

The local population isn't big enough to support a large investment so a Chance Hyper GT-X or Intamin Mega-Lite would be perfect. Either one would be a huge hit and attendance would be high for years. Also I would love to have one of these relatively close to home. It may be a while before the park gets a new coaster, but I'm hoping 2016 is the year.

As much as I would like a new coaster, a used coaster make sense. Boomerang or Vortex would be a cheap investment and a big hit. Both offer enough thrills and would be good stepping stone coasters. The locals would still want to go to Cedar Point for the bigger thrills, but that's not a big deal.

This is just a dream and would fit in the crazy idea thread. I'll mention it here anyway. A coaster over the lake in the middle of the park would be cool. My first choice is a suspended coaster because I wish they would make a comeback. It would be amazing if S&S made an Arrow inspired design, but we would probably have to settle for Vekoma. My other coaster choice would be an S&S free fly. There is only one of these unique coasters in existence, but this design has potential. A larger sprawling design with close encounters with the water would be cool. I'll shut up now.

Heh not some bad ideas, although I wouldn't exactly want to do anything with that lake considering it's partially tied into the drainage system in the park, so it makes it difficult to try to build anything. It's not deep at all, but because of how close proximity the park is to Lake Michigan, it's a very sandy area too. It's why Thunderhawk was built above the lake instead of over it. Was easier to fill in a portion of it rather than attempting to build footers out there.

Not entirely sure what's going to happen for 2015, but I have heard there might be some infrastructure improvements. Saw an interesting picture taken on the last day of the season that showed a portion of the wall supporting the midway next to the lake had started bowing and splitting away from the midway. Think it might of been Facebook where I saw the picture but I have a feeling there will be some money spent getting that fixed.

I'd imagine they'll be announcing the 2015 additions here in the coming weeks. There's only a couple parks left that haven't announced anything (Michigan's Adventure, Worlds of Fun, and Knott's but at least that one is less than a week away at IAAPA) so I'd imagine at least MiAd will announce theirs before Christmas. It does sound like Worlds of Fun might be having an "off" year for 2015 with the addition of SteelHawk this year, but we'll see.

^ That would be a good idea. The Vortex rides aren't terrible, but they've run their course at their respective parks. A small floorless would fit in very well here.

Carolina Vortex is an OK ride, not spectacular but not bad either. It's certainly much better than its immediate neighbors (used boomerang, old Arrow, mine train, mouse, not-so-good woodie).

California Vortex is a terrible ride. Maybe floorless trains would salvage it. Maybe not. It's at least as bad, if not worse, than Iron wolf / apocalypse. Its corkscrew is especially shaky. Picnic tables would be an improvement.

(I like Georgia Scorcher and Riddler, B&M finally got the stand-up design right on Scorcher.)

The local population is not enough to support a large park.

However. ....

That part of Michigan is a HUGE summer tourist destination. I would bet that the population at least triples in the summer. I believe it would be enough to support a park the size of Dorny park.

I live and work within 10 minutes of the park. Come summer the town easily doubles in size, if not triples. We have so many sandy beaches that the camp grounds and hotels fill up quick. I have visitors to the area asking every day for directions to the park. Plus the Muskegon-GR metro area is over 1.2 million people. Not a small town b any means.

I spend my summers near Whitehall and I go up there a few times during the rest of the year. I agree that West Michigan sees a lot of tourists during the summer. I don't have a clue how many tourists go to the park, but it seems like a majority of park guests are local. I think most tourists are content with going to the beach, boating or camping. Hey I could be completely wrong. Green Bay has an NFL team after all.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, the GM did mention that there's new "capital" on the way, but left no details.

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2014/08/michigans_adventure_festivals.html#incart_related_stories

"When the weather is good, we're super busy," she said. "We need a strong Labor Day, but we have some new capital coming in soon. More to come on that."

[Camille] Jourden-Mark wouldn't elaborate on the specifics of what the new capital may be.

I'd imagine the announcement will be sometime in the late November/December time frame like it has in the past.

A little birdie told me there are not getting anything major what so ever. We would be lucky for a small flat ride.

Six flags and super loops are looking good right about now

Well, the GM did mention that there's new "capital" on the way, but left no details.

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2014/08/michigans_adventure_festivals.html#incart_related_stories

"When the weather is good, we're super busy," she said. "We need a strong Labor Day, but we have some new capital coming in soon. More to come on that."

[Camille] Jourden-Mark wouldn't elaborate on the specifics of what the new capital may be.

I'd imagine the announcement will be sometime in the late November/December time frame like it has in the past.

A little birdie told me there are not getting anything major what so ever. We would be lucky for a small flat ride.

You'd think they'd at least get a Skater. Or a Planet Snoopy. Why don't they have a Planet Snoopy?

They have most of there kiddie rides on the west side of the park. Most locals call it the back 40. Its anchored by bee bop bldv and Zach's zoomer roller coaster. Its kind of tucked into the corner. No where to really expand the planet snoopy in either direction.

They could expand into the section of parking right behind Zach's Zoomer, which is where I'd imagine the kid's area expansion would take place, whether it'd be a Planet or Camp Snoopy. Shifting around a couple rides and opening up a section for a midway would allow them to expand out in that lot. That section of parking always bothered me for some reason and is in an awkward spot. I was kind of surprised they didn't turn that area into prefered parking when it was introduced.

If what I heard was happening at the park, then I can understand why they won't be adding an attraction next year. We'll see though, still have another month to go before the year's end since they have to start getting things started for the 2015 season in January.

Not entirely sure why the GM would announce that new capital would be on the way but then ending up not getting anything. Rather odd...

That section of parking lot next to Zach's Zoomer is better served for the waterpark. The waterpark doesn't have anywhere else to go without moving the warehouses. But on Saturdays the parking lot flows into the lot across the street so I do not see that section of parking going away. MIA doesn't have a lot of sit down restaurants like other cedar fair parks, let alone many food options period haha. They dont have a camp snoopy. I was told nothing major coming this year because most of the major capital is going south. So at this point a disco would be a huge addition for MIA. I would even be happy with another food option. They got rid of The Dog house, which doesn't leave many places to eat left.

They could expand into the section of parking right behind Zach's Zoomer, which is where I'd imagine the kid's area expansion would take place, whether it'd be a Planet or Camp Snoopy. Shifting around a couple rides and opening up a section for a midway would allow them to expand out in that lot. That section of parking always bothered me for some reason and is in an awkward spot. I was kind of surprised they didn't turn that area into prefered parking when it was introduced.

If what I heard was happening at the park, then I can understand why they won't be adding an attraction next year. We'll see though, still have another month to go before the year's end since they have to start getting things started for the 2015 season in January.

Not entirely sure why the GM would announce that new capital would be on the way but then ending up not getting anything. Rather odd...

What have you heard is happening at the park?

So MiA really won't be getting anything in 2015? That must really stink for MiA locals. Under most circumstances, I'd say Cedar Fair is going smaller with this park to avoid Geauga Lake-ing it, but when you go two straight years with nothing new, I find that a bit concerning.

So MiA really won't be getting anything in 2015? That must really stink for MiA locals. Under most circumstances, I'd say Cedar Fair is going smaller with this park to avoid Geauga Lake-ing it, but when you go two straight years with nothing new, I find that a bit concerning.

Seems like they are Geauga Lake-ing it. Not adding much, No Halloween event, No Snoopy area, No new coasters.

Obviously this is disappointing for locals too MiA, but who knows? Maybe theyre holding back with plans for a more sizable addition in 2016/17. MiA is a small market park, so you can't expect major additions every year. Assuming the park is profitable, I think Cedar Fair can make the necessary decisions concerning capital.

Having been to Michigan, I feel the park could draw solid attendance if they didnt neglect the place. Is CF really that fearful of canabolizing their CP business if they dared to make MA a place worth visiting?

^

I don't think Cedar Fair is worried about Michigan's Adventure competing with Cedar Point because Kings Island is actually slightly closer to CP than MiA, but CF has invested quite a bit of money in KI over the past several years. I understand that, being the smallest park in the chain, they can't get major additions every year, but if they go two years in a row without anything new, that might be a sign of something bad.

The park did add Antie Anne's pretzels last year where Midway Muchies used to be (which was the Dog Shack) and they moved Midway Munchies to where Sundae at the Races was, since there really was no point in keeping that name since the Go-Karts are gone. Wildcat Grill was always my favorite place to eat in the park since Coasters was always too busy. Then I'd head for Confection Connection to get a nice funnel cake topped with strawberries and ice cream.

I heard there were going to be some infrastructure changes like the old Arcade being torn down and replaced with a new building (no idea what could replace it, but I know the employee break room is attached to it so it'll have to be part of the new structure) and I also heard the water park would receive a new entry way with new changing rooms. Also I heard the wall supporting the midway by the lake has to have some work done on it as well since there were some structural issues with it near the end of the season. Also heard Dodgem was suppose to receive new cars to replace the aging Cedar Point ones from the 60's. And don't forget the second train they've been meaning to add to Timbertown Railway for the past few years, which now has a proper shed for it that they built this season.

I can tell you, this park is not going to be going anywhere anytime soon. It's a huge tourist attraction for West Michigan and in general for the state. Lakeside Gliders was a pefect addition for 2013 and even if no ride will be added next year, there's still quite a bit the park can do to improve. I have a feeling 2016 will be a big year for the park's 60th anniversary so I wouldn't doubt that that a major ride will be on the way.

You mentioned them removing the dog house, that actually made me mad. That was one of the few food places to eat

Yeah, think it was the three smaller stands installed next to Thunderhawk, Logger's Run and in the water park that sort of ended The Dog House since those carts also sold hot dogs and fries. They still sell the footlong hot dogs though, I believe at Wildcat Grill in a combo basket.

i do have to say, I take back saying Wildcat Grill was my favorite place to eat. I completely forgot about Family Grill, the all-you-can-eat grill next to the arcade. Now I'm craving for the Johnsonville brats and the chicken nuggets they have there. That is probably the best deal on food in the park. Those that have participated in Coasting For Kids here know what I'm talking about as that's the place they have their lunch at.