TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

If they get a disk-o, they're probably going to market it as a roller coaster. Not sure how I'd feel about that. I don't think there's room there, though. My hope would be a top-spin (or something thrilling...), but I'm gonna guess at something small. Again, no room.

A coaster similar to lightning run would be absolutely perfect for Michigan's Adventure. Even if it was the same size. It's more of a family park anyway, and Lightning Run looks fantastic as it is. Not to mention it would bring the park a bit of attention, given that Lightning Run was in the Golden Tickets' top 5 new roller coasters.

I'll be extremely excited for any new roller coaster, though. I know I'll sound like a broken record, but the park needs one so badly that anything will do. Something that great would be a real treat.

I wonder if CF is keeping an eye on how Lightning Run is shaping up at Kentucky Kingdom? That size of coaster would be perfect for this park and it wouldn't break the bank. From the looks of construction and animated pov, the ride has a lot of potential to be really good...

Just gonna quote my old post here (from March of this year, before Lightning Run opened), I hope the rumors are true!

If they get a disk-o, they're probably going to market it as a roller coaster. Not sure how I'd feel about that. I don't think there's room there, though. My hope would be a top-spin (or something thrilling...), but I'm gonna guess at something small. Again, no room.

A coaster similar to lightning run would be absolutely perfect for Michigan's Adventure. Even if it was the same size. It's more of a family park anyway, and Lightning Run looks fantastic as it is. Not to mention it would bring the park a bit of attention, given that Lightning Run was in the Golden Tickets' top 5 new roller coasters.

I'll be extremely excited for any new roller coaster, though. I know I'll sound like a broken record, but the park needs one so badly that anything will do. Something that great would be a real treat.

Watch it be a relocated spinner.

To be honest, I think it would be a small thrill ride instead of a Disk'O Coaster. Maybe an Air Race would fit. One can dream, right?

Watch it be a relocated spinner.

To be honest, I think it would be a small thrill ride instead of a Disk'O Coaster. Maybe an Air Race would fit. One can dream, right?

Dreaming about Michigan's Adventure is my favorite pass time. It has so much potential, and now that the township board isn't an issue... Well, the big guys at Cedar Fair can finally give them what they deserve. Even if it isn't next year, I think we can expect something thrilling.

I can tell you there's absolutely no room for a nearly 270ft long Disk'O Coaster next to Lakeside Gliders. There's not enough room in that patch of grass next to the beer garden, they'd have to move Gliders and the beer garden to fit it in there. Unless it was one of the smaller U-shaped Disk'Os, then it's a possibility as those are around 80ft long.

I was really hoping that the next Hyper-GT coaster would make its way to Michigan's Adventure. The park has had a pretty good relationship with Chance (8 rides here came from Chance) and have been due for a new coaster for a while now. I think if a new flat ride happens next year and then a coaster the following year, it'll help bring a bit more draw to the park.

There are reasons why the property on the east-side hasn't been developed. For one, it's a completely different township on that side that has some more stricter rulings than the other township, hence why a majority of the rides are built on that side of the park and only 3 are in the other township. The land is also not very suitable for construction. Most of it is swampy, sandy wetlands that's only a few feet about the water table, and also that's where the drainage field for the park is located, so that makes it even more difficult to build anything out there. I'd imagine that they're planning on putting the new coaster (if it's indeed on the way) on that side of the property as it'll help direct guests to stay on that side of the park, otherwise they'd have to remove something to make room on the other side.

All the water tower did was provide the park with a more constant supply of water, had nothing to do with the drainage field. All it did was prevent the park from taking a majority of the area's water pressure when they needed to fill the pools and water rides. They unfortunately were denied an expanded sewer line so the park still has to deal with a septic lift system and a drainage field. Seems a bit behind on the times, but it's what they have to use for the time being.

If you were at the park for some of the hotter days this year, you'd smell the drainage field pretty bad. The light lingering sewer smell was not pleasant. If you also took the train at all this year, you'd see that it's still swampy out there, although there are a lot more bushes and trees starting to fill it in so it's been harder to tell. I know that there are some areas that are dry, mainly because those are a bit higher up, but most of the lower-lying areas on the property are still swampy.

There's an rumor on Screamscape that MiA could be getting a new flat ride next year.

2015 - New Flat Ride - Rumor - (9/10/14) Screamscape sources tell us that Michigan’s Adventure will add an a new small flat ride to the park for 2015 along the water’s edge, near the Lakeside Gliders ride.

I agree with others that a Disk'O coaster would be a good choice.

Well, the GM did mention that there's new "capital" on the way, but left no details.

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2014/08/michigans_adventure_festivals.html#incart_related_stories

"When the weather is good, we're super busy," she said. "We need a strong Labor Day, but we have some new capital coming in soon. More to come on that."

[Camille] Jourden-Mark wouldn't elaborate on the specifics of what the new capital may be.

I'd imagine the announcement will be sometime in the late November/December time frame like it has in the past.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, the GM did mention that there's new "capital" on the way, but left no details.

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2014/08/michigans_adventure_festivals.html#incart_related_stories

"When the weather is good, we're super busy," she said. "We need a strong Labor Day, but we have some new capital coming in soon. More to come on that."

[Camille] Jourden-Mark wouldn't elaborate on the specifics of what the new capital may be.

I'd imagine the announcement will be sometime in the late November/December time frame like it has in the past.

They talk about how lodging revenue is up. Whenever I'm in Coopersville for work I always stay in Muskegon to boost those numbers. I would love to think that maybe me staying there every other week for 9 months would somehow push MIA over the top and get something good for next year.

I think that Valleyfair is going to be getting a coaster before Michigan's Adventure does, but I have to agree that a hyper GTX would be great for the park because, well they are great for any park, really. I know that Lightning Run has been on many people's top ten lists, and that's exactly something that MiA needs, a strong roller coaster that's going to bring people in. GTX's don't cost much (Lightning Run cost 7 million dollars) so it seems like a possibility for MiA, just not in the next few years.

Also, I don't think that Screamscape is a reliable source, thought I might put that out there.

^

I think it is quite possible that Valleyfair and Michigan's Adventure could get a coaster in the same year. MiA really needs a new roller coaster, so I don't see why 2016 would be an unlikely year for one. By the way, why do you say that Screamscape is not reliable? They've been right about plenty of things.

By the way, why do you say that Screamscape is not reliable? They've been right about plenty of things.

Lance Hart (Screamscape's editor) tends to be very gullible when it comes to rumors. Yes, there is quite a bit of info that's correct, but some of his rumors should be taken with a grain of salt, especially if it's for something a few years down the road. Also, if he ever mentions a "wild rumor," it's best to just ignore it because there's a very low chance that it'll actually happen.

^I wouldn't exactly call it gullible when he is reporting rumors. He clearly states when he has evidence and proof.

It's some of his readers who report those rumors into fact without confirmation who are the gullible ones.

^I wouldn't exactly call it gullible when he is reporting rumors. He clearly states when he has evidence and proof.

It's some of his readers who report those rumors into fact without confirmation who are the gullible ones.

I think from when he started to 2002ish, He just posted whatever anyone told him

From 2002ish to 2007- He started being careful about what he posted

From 2007 or so to Now- His accuracy has been stronger

• 4 weeks later...
I think that Valleyfair is going to be getting a coaster before Michigan's Adventure

Why would you think that?

Cause Matt O. said that Valleyfair, Carowind's, and California's Great America were the parks with the best growth potential in the chain.

@grsupercity, because they're from Minnesota. @Rollercoaster Rider, it was Brian Witherow that stated that, not Matt Ouimet. Carowinds obviously has the best. I'm extremely pleased that Valleyfair and California's Great America are on the list. These were two of the three parks (the other being Worlds of Fun) that was for sale by Cedar Fair back in 2008. Glad to see that two of the three have the greatest growth potential. And Worlds of Fun, they aren't doing bad either. There's definitely potential there still as well.

Back to Michigan's Adventure, while its been discussed that it has the highest profit margin in the chain and, thus, an extremely valuable asset to the company, I feel the growth potential isn't too terribly large there. Of course capital being added over the years is great, but I'm afraid that dumping a lot in over a short time period would ruin the park. But maybe there was more growth potential than imagined. Roger Jourden wanted to build a resort hotel and a campground for park visitors as well as a 200 foot tall hypercoaster back in 2000. The RV Campground became a reality across the street, but is not owned by the park or chain. Essentially I haven't done a market analysis, but the market was more healthy back in the day than it is now. Will the park grow over the years? Yes, but I don't see the need to build large things right now when the park is still reporting strong attendance.

Others may not like it, particularly those in the state, but I feel the park is doing just fine. It's exactly what it is. Cedar Fair has done a lot, from adding new attractions that drew in some people to general improvements, to much needed infrastructure upgrades.

Major capital, as Camille Jourden-Mark pointed out in the newspaper article, could mean just about anything. I'm hedging my bets here, but I believe the new capital for 2015 will be in the waterpark. The dry side got it for 2013 with the Lakeside Beer Garden (much needed) and Lakeside Gliders, which was a great addition. Judging by the way the rest of the chain is going, I'd expect a trap door capsule slide complex and some other speed slides to go in at WildWater Adventure. Maybe a Constrictor type tube slide as well.

I do see a Disk'O being a fairly good addition (and it being stated that it is a coaster). Just not sure if it would be added standalone, or as part of an overhaul of an area. With that being said, I honestly can see an overhaul and relocation of some Kiddie Rides to form a "Planet Snoopy" or "Camp Snoopy" type area. Being in Michigan, I honestly would prefer the "Camp Snoopy" name adoption, but whatever works.

I do believe a coaster is in the works within the next five years. 2008 was the last one added, and while everyone says it shouldn't count because it wasn't a new coaster, ask the gates what they think, because attendance surged following the addition of Thunderhawk and it is still riding strong. A Chance Hyper GT-X would be an awesome addition, but I, for some reason, would prefer a mixture of that with a regular hypercoaster standing over 200 feet tall. Something not too terribly expensive, but makes a presence.

I guess we'll find out soon. I'm rather excited to hear about this capital.

Also, if the opportunity ever presented itself, I would not be surprised to see Duck Creek purchased by the chain. It's an extremely popular RV Resort and people camp there that may not even attend Michigan's Adventure. I feel it would be a worthy investment for the chain if it ever came about.

I don't think that Valleyfair is getting a new coaster just because I'm in Minnesota, it's just that VF is a "growth park" according to Cedar Fair, so I think that a coaster is on the way soon. I didn't mean to cause a debate, I was just stating what I think will happen, my personal opinion.

Like I said before, I would love to see a hyper GTX come to MiA. I think a new coaster should pop up at MiA in the next 5-ish years just because MiA has gone through a long time without a new coaster, and it needs something strong to draw people in.