TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

I rode all of the wooden coasters a couple of weeks ago. They were all running well.

How's the airtime on ST? One thing I noticed about CCI coasters is that their standout quality is their intensity, however while they have airtime it's not the ejector type that you will find on, for example, Intamin coasters. Grant you I haven't ridden ST or Boulder Dash, I have read reviews stating that they do have great airtime as well as reviews that say that their airtime is overstated. For the most part it seems as if the coasters, regardless of manufacturer, with ejector-type airtime are designed with hydraulic restraints in mind.

I rode all of the wooden coasters a couple of weeks ago. They were all running well.

How's the airtime on ST? One thing I noticed about CCI coasters is that their standout quality is their intensity, however while they have airtime it's not the ejector type that you will find on, for example, Intamin coasters. Grant you I haven't ridden ST or Boulder Dash, I have read reviews stating that they do have great airtime as well as reviews that say that their airtime is overstated. For the most part it seems as if the coasters, regardless of manufacturer, with ejector-type airtime are designed with hydraulic restraints in mind.

The airtime on Shivering Timber varies by seat really. I know this since it's the park I go to the most since I live near there. If you want airtime, go in the middle-back, because the front is really where you mainly get views more than anything. Overall, the ride itself is really awesome! It has a lot of airtime and it's gotten quite smooth with some re-trackings! It's a must-do at the park!

• 2 weeks later...

I just witnessed one of thr dumbest things I've ever seen. I just experienced a Fuji-Q dispatch time on Shivering Timbers because a woman tried bringing her bag on ride with her. Here's what happened: the ride op checking restraints told her she couldn't bring her bag with her. She tried handing it to the attendant: "No, I can't put it in there for you." We proceed to watch the ride attendant search for a T bar to release the restraints, then several more minutes while she fiddles with opening it. Finally she gets it and everyone goes on their way. The whole ordeal took an additional 5 minutes, simply to move a purse 4 feet to the left.

I just witnessed one of thr dumbest things I've ever seen. I just experienced a Fuji-Q dispatch time on Shivering Timbers because a woman tried bringing her bag on ride with her. Here's what happened: the ride op checking restraints told her she couldn't bring her bag with her. She tried handing it to the attendant: "No, I can't put it in there for you." We proceed to watch the ride attendant search for a T bar to release the restraints, then several more minutes while she fiddles with opening it. Finally she gets it and everyone goes on their way. The whole ordeal took an additional 5 minutes, simply to move a purse 4 feet to the left.

Well, for some reason, Cedar Fair ride ops are not allowed to put personal belongings in the bins. Maybe it's because it might slow down operations on busier days, but in this situation you've described, that just sounds ridiculous.

It's a liability reason. If a ride op touches someone's personal belongings and something then happens to them, the park is potentially liable whereas if the person themselves is the only one to ever touch it the park has no liability. This one situation might have been stupid but overall the policy stops people from being able to put the blame for lost possessions on the park which would just be a massive hassle.

Right this moment there's some sort of hazmat situation going on at MiAdv waterpark. It just broke on our local news, reports of people being hosed off by the fire dept. and some being transported away by ambulance. No idea what is going on just yet, I'm staying tuned though. Pool chemicals perhaps?

Indeed it was. Here it is:

http://woodtv.com/2014/07/11/ambulances-fire-trucks-rush-to-michigans-adventure/

FRUITLAND TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WOOD) — Authorities say some sort of chlorine release at a pool in the waterpark at Michigan’s Adventure was the cause of a medical emergency, and the situation is now under control.

People in bathing suits were being hosed down in the amusement park’s parking lot after multiple fire trucks and ambulances raced to the scene Friday afternoon, according to Richard Grescowle with Whitehall Rescue.

As of 5 p.m. Friday, no serious injuries had been reported after a check to area emergency responders.

24 Hour News 8 is working to get more information and has crews at the scene.

The exact same thing happened at Valleyfair in 2010 with their wave pool and sent 26 to the hospital with them all being released within a few hours with no serious injuries. Hopefully that is the same situation here.

I had no idea Michigan's Adventure was so loved.

It's cherished because that's what we have over here, I've been attending this park since it was Deer Park Funland in its infancy.

It's treasured by West Michigan the way Dorney is treasured by its locals, we know it's not much. But it is ours.

We in the Grand Rapids area are fortunate to have almost exactly the same drive time to SFGAm as CP but hey, Shivering Timbers is in our backyard!

I was at the park today, well from 6:00 to 10:00, and it was absolutely packed. I didn't even want to get near the waterpark since the lines would be absolutely insane. All of the coasters had giant lines, Shivering Timbers and Thunderhawk were both around 45 minutes. Thunderhawk was down for a while and there was a giant line waiting outside of the entrance for it.

The main reason I came was to finally get my night ride on Shivering Timbers. The park is open until 10 this year on Saturdays so I figured I'd finally go ride it. I got in line around 9 and it was down. Stuck on the lift. It started running for probably 15 minutes then got stuck on the lift again. Ran again for maybe 30 minutes now and I was next to ride. It got stuck on the lift again.

It was about 9:45 and they announced that "all the rides in the park are closed so if they want to wait it out then they can." The ride started running again but they wouldn't let anyone on. It continued to run just fine and all the sudden they announced the ride was staying closed and everyone had to leave. It didn't get stuck again, it was running just fine with the empty trains. I heard 2 of the employees saying they're worried it might break again.

I was then going to go ride something else before the park closed but all the entrances were already closed and it wasn't even 10 yet. I found this VERY strange and a bit irritating considering every single other amusement park I've ever been to closes their lines and the time posted. Some of the rides barely had any lines and they still weren't letting anyone in line.

Overall, I only got one ride on Shivering Timbers the whole 4 hours I was there, which by the way is running better than ever this year. I sat in the second to back and it was hauling through the course with awesome ejector air over every hill.

I could see this park getting another relocated ride in the near future. They could really use an upgrade in the flat ride department. I do agree though that a chance mega lite would be a great addition in the coming years.

I always thought MiA would be a great park for an Intamin Mega-Lite. I know Cedar Fair is not very good friends with Intamin at the moment. But there are several reasons that the park could get an Intamin Mega-Lite.

-The park is owned by a chain that has plenty of mone.

-The park is quite profitable on its own, from what I've heard. (Although they might not build more if they don't think a new ride will boost their attendance, at least they might have the money to build something if the park needs a new ride.)

-The park is perfectly sized for a moderately sized steel coaster - a Mega-Lite will be about the size of their current big coasters.

Hopefully Intamin can get their "poop in a group" with reliability so Cedar Fair can partner up with them once again. I, for one, would love to have a Mega-Lite 3.5 hours north of me along with Maveshark 1.5 hours to the east!