TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

I think this is a great addition to the park! The waterpark needs an expansion like this, and it will certainly be a big draw for families. And as someone who lives by the park, there is a huge difference between a waterpark and the beach, and I love them both for very different reasons. Waterslides are the bomb.com and I'd be sad if there wasn't a waterpark near by.

I see you haven't been to Lake Erie this year. How can you say the beaches are not disgusting when they were closed for half the summer for bacteria problems? If that's not disgusting, I'm not sure what is.

I was thinking the same thing, but I still went to Presque Isle this summer several times and swam in the lake on a hot day versus going to Waldameer/Water World. The beaches at Presque Isle in Erie are normally open, but head towards Buffalo and it's a different story. Yeah, I definitely wanted to take a shower as soon as I got out (just like I do when I swim in the ocean), but it is a nice escape on a hot day. I love just lounging on the beach with a couple of ice cold Corona's (or a bottle of wine with some cheese and crackers) while people watching or reading a good book!

But I still love the water parks too and love this addition to MA. The thing that makes me excited about this addition is how much fun we had this summer at the one at KD's water park with Michael's grandkids who were 5 & 3. Even though they were too small to go down the slides, they loved splashing and running around the water play area...climbing ropes and dumping buckets. Talk about making you feel like a kid again...I had a blast! Plus, it was so cool to see the kids laughing and having the time of their lives. I sure hope it will be memories they will always cherish - I know I will.

We visited Soak City at CP twice, Waldameer Water World twice, Fantasy Island's water park, Dorney's Wildwater, Lake Compounce and Kings Dominion's water parks just to name a few and they were ALL crowded when we were there. Even when we went into Lake Compounce's water park at 5:00 in the afternoon (and it was cold as hell), it was still packed yet Boulder Dash was only about a twenty minute wait.

Bottom line...you can never go wrong with a new water park attraction, but a nice day at the lake can be a fun experience too - just don't drink the water in the Great Lakes!

I take my kids to Michigan's Adventure once or twice a year and I believe this is a GREAT addition.

I'm super bummed to find out that Intimidator is not being dismantled and shipped to MA as I was hoping though.

For the off topic conversation though I have to admit that the beaches around there are very nice, but not all Great Lakes beaches are that way. Much of the coastline of Lake Huron is disgusting.

Back on topic, I have to gleefully point out that more people in the water park means less people in line for my single favorite coaster in any Cedar Fair park I've visited. Shivering Timbers!

When I went to MIAdv in 08 I saw the train more as a break from the walking to look at the backside of Timbers and ALL THE LAND THEY HAVE FOR FUTURE EXPANSION! And Timbers has a gorgeous backside. CONGRATULATIONS on the new waterpark addition, MIAdv regulars! Their waterpark is one of the best I've ever been to, and this will make it even better.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
I’m not really sure what this is about, but Michigan’s Adventure has announced on Facebook that they will soon make an announcement regarding a special Memorial Day weekend event. Anyone know more?

Does anyone know anything about this event? Because my family might go up there that weekend, and it might be cool to see that. (Oh, also, is Shivering Timbers smooth?)

Edited by jedimaster1227

I’m not really sure what this is about, but Michigan’s Adventure has announced on Facebook that they will soon make an announcement regarding a special Memorial Day weekend event. Anyone know more?

Does anyone know anything about this event? Because my family might go up there that weekend, and it might be cool to see that. (Oh, also, is Shivering Timbers smooth?)

Did you fully read the post that you quoted?

they will soon make an announcement

• 2 weeks later...

They're bringing back Rock the Coast this year, like I previously stated in the Cedar Fair development thread. They officially announced it last week. Here's the short excerpt from the website:

Rock the Coast is back... bigger and better than ever!

Rock the Coast will be a two day event and will be held on Memorial Day weekend for the first time. The event will take place Friday, May 24 and Saturday, May 25, with park entry both days and Christian concerts both nights.

http://www.miadventure.com/events/things-to-do/special-events/Rock-the-Coast

Bands haven't been decided yet, but tickets are sitting at $44.99 for both days and both nights of the concerts, price does go up by $10 once those early bird ticket sell out. This is actually a pretty good deal, for 2 days in the park and 2 concert nights, but they are Christian rock bands, so guess you'd have to like that kind of music to enjoy the concerts.

Now my question is, by this weekend, the waterpark is already opened and they have since the beginning of Rock the Coast put the stage inside of the larger wave pool in the waterpark. So either they're building a permanent live entertainment stage somewhere in the park, or setting up a temporary stage somewhere on the property where there's enough room, or just not using that wave pool until the weekend is done, which I think that's a bad idea since it's going to be one of the first busiest weekends the park is going to have.

EDIT: I'd also like to answer the OP question about Shivering Timbers: as of 2012, the coaster was running pretty well. The 1st drop was just re-tracked last off season and actually had stairs installed going down it. The past couple seasons, various sections of it was re-tracked and sections were also reinforced to prevent too much shifting in the track. This off season, I'm expecting more of it to be torn up and redone, mainly the double up coming into the turn around. Also in 2010, a trim brake was added just before the helix so it wouldn't be so rough and make it slightly more enjoyable going into that. Wolverine Wildcat also had a trim brake installed in 2010 to help slow the train down in the final turn into the brake run since it's still manual brakes, which I have a feeling it'll be like that for a few more years until Cedar Fair decides that it's time to up the capacity on it and give it a 2nd train, transfer track, and an automated control system.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like they're announcing a new attraction for this year on Monday.

A new attraction you will see

in two thousand thirteen

I cannot tell you more

About what is in store

Get a season pass for everyone

And get ready for summer fun

An announcement on Monday

You know you can’t wait!

This is about as vague as you could get. What they call attractions is pretty much anything, as they said Beach Party was an attraction when it was being announced. But all I can say is, I'm glad to hear that something is being announced. Doubt it's a coaster or anything to do with the water park, cause another coaster isn't in the Cedar Fair 2013 budget and the water park just had Beach Party installed. So the options are: a shorter 200ft tall Windseeker, Planet Snoopy, or something entirely different. Reason for a shorter Windseeker is because there is actually a 215ft tall height restriction in place by the 2 townships its in. Mondial offers a 24, 36, 50, or 64 capacities and 65m (213ft) or 100m (328ft) tower heights. Could see a 36 person, 213ft tall model installed here. Would work perfectly here!

Michigan's Adventure Someone in the office suggested this haiku:

The four elements

Only one will you master

Summer, please come soon

This was posted in the Facebook thread by MA. "Wind" Seeker perhaps? Seems an odd choice given the mechanical issues.

Edit: Wildly speculating here, but theoretically, they could have been pouring footers since the park closed. It is in the middle of nowhere. I'm just going to assume it's a giga.

I'm seriously hoping it's "Wind." This poor park doesn't need anymore water...

I guess that rules out a Planet Snoopy then. Last time I checked, space wasn't an element.

Even though 4 of the 5 Windseekers have had issues, they're either being solved right now, or already have. This announcement is rather late in the works, when they usually announce their addition in November. I thought there was plans to add more Windseekers to parks this year, with Dorney being one of them (no announcement has been made for them yet either.) Winter I don't think will be an issue, considering it's been hovering in the 40's and expected to be quite mild up here.

Mind you, this would have to be a completely different model than what Cedar Fair currently has due to the height limit and certainly the issue that the current ones have would have been fixed before they could even raise the first tower piece. Knott's model would more than likely be the test model with the park saying it's suppose to open by February 1st.

Hmmmmm... might have to go drive by tomorrow and see if there's any construction work going on. I'd put my money on either a Windseeker or another Surfside Glider like at Knott's, though it wouldn't surprise me to see something in the waterpark to help out capacity there.

My only thing about getting one of those is where would it go? The waterpark is pretty much stuck in a corner of the property with nowhere to expand. They'd have to move the catering area, but don't see that happening as it's was recently expanded and is in a pretty good location inside of the park.

I'm sticking with Windseeker. Choices are limited as obviously a coaster is out of the question and really the park needs a decent flat ride, but I guess at this point, anything is a welcome addition.