TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Golden Ticket Awards 2019

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^And either of those parks beating out Legoland, Sesame Place, DISNEY, Gilroy Gardens, Knoebels, ANY PARK IN EUROPE, etc. is wrong.

Yeah, I mean... it is just... not really something I can comprehend. Clearly, Dutch Wonderland is a KID'S park. But so is Sesame Place and Legoland. And Disney is an everyone park... but that doesn't mean it isn't also a park largely catered to children and children at heart. I understand that if Disney were considered fairly, they would likely sweep quite a few categories year after year. But they should just explicitly say we are excluding Disney, because it comes off as odd when they have won with TOT in years past, but somehow don't take home Best Theme Park Food or Best Kid's Park.

Ah well.

So... when's the TPR poll opening up again?

Sooner than you think. We'll be soliciting feedback for new / closed / renamed rides here in a few months and we're looking to have the poll opened up for voting in early January.

Sooner than you think. We'll be soliciting feedback for new / closed / renamed rides here in a few months and we're looking to have the poll opened up for voting in early January.

Thank you so much for all the work y'all put into it. It's very new, sure, but it's already the best poll out there.

And remember that the TPR Poll is a REAL poll based on REAL experiences, it's not just a bunch of made-up bullshit like the Golden Tickets are.

I often wonder what would happen if we put the EXACT same ballot from the Golden Tickets through the TPR Poll system...

Edited by robbalvey

I often wonder what would happen if we put the EXACT same ballot from the Golden Tickets through the TPR Poll system...

...can we actually do this? AJ, would you be up to the task? I'm genuinely curious how the results would look.

It's not really worth our time. I'd rather see us spend time on things that actually help improve OUR poll, not disprove some other stupid poll.

Edited by robbalvey

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing our poll expand to doing a parks ranking sometime in the distant future. But going off of what Robb said, it's not worth our time to split off into all those categories. We have so many trip reports around here, enough for our community (and our casual readers / lurkers and social media followers) to get a really good understanding of how parks, attractions, and peoples' opinions of those things change over the years. Knoebels might win "best food", but, how about that Raclette at EPCOT this year?

To be honest, even a roller coaster poll like ours is pushing it somewhat because there are so many factors that determine why people enjoy a coaster enough to put it at the top of their list, and those factors could be completely different for someone else.

EDIT: Besides, there are always opportunities to ask us about the best in a specific category after the poll results are posted (best B&M, best in the U.S., etc) and I am always happy to oblige.

haha MF over Steel Vengeance? Really?? Does anyone think that?

Yes, are you new?

Edit: I am also someone who prefers MF over Steel Vengeance. And MF is not even my favorite giga if we wanna start to get all technical. Steel Vengeance is a one and done for me most days while I'll ride Millennium Force 3-5 times per visit.

Edited by WolfBobs

^And either of those parks beating out Legoland, Sesame Place, DISNEY, Gilroy Gardens, Knoebels, ANY PARK IN EUROPE, etc. is wrong.

Yeah, I mean... it is just... not really something I can comprehend. Clearly, Dutch Wonderland is a KID'S park. But so is Sesame Place and Legoland. And Disney is an everyone park... but that doesn't mean it isn't also a park largely catered to children and children at heart. I understand that if Disney were considered fairly, they would likely sweep quite a few categories year after year. But they should just explicitly say we are excluding Disney, because it comes off as odd when they have won with TOT in years past, but somehow don't take home Best Theme Park Food or Best Kid's Park.

Ah well.

Yeah it's tricky. I would hope most people understand that Disney would sweep most of the categories, so to me it's interesting to see which non-Disney parks win. But then, it's weird when there are a few Disney wins thrown in.

I think my favorite part of the awards this year is that Steel Curtain placed higher than Yukon Striker for best coaster in 2019 but Yukon is ranked #34 and Steel Curtain is ranked #42.
Probably says something that the official issue (and the presentation) lists Untamed under "Walibi Belgium"
thumb_20190909_224411.jpg

Man, if these aren't the signs that you've got a quality awards show, I just don't know what they are.

Me.

I don't love Steel Vengeance and much prefer rides on MF.

While I prefer Steel Vengeance, I can understand why others might prefer Millennium Force. I prefer Maverick to both of them.

Me. And my wife. MF over Steel Vengeance along with Maverick, Valravn, and Top Thrill.

Fight me.

You guys were definitely the ones I was thinking of when I made my earlier post in regard to that comment!

I love MF too, and I absolutely think it's a more non-enthusiast friendly coaster than SV, which is why it places high in the Golden Tickets year after year. I don't have any insider info about payola or anything else I've seen referenced throughout this thread, but honestly, I've always felt like the GT's were more for the GP anyway, and the majority of people attending Amusement Parks other than our small enthusiast subset. We finally have the fabulous TPR Poll now for us enthusiasts, and I think that's great! This way we can see how fellow enthusiasts feel about coasters, since we're the ones dedicating a decent portion of our lives and attention to them. However, I do think there's a place for the Golden Ticket Awards as far as the rest of society goes, and from looking at the results, they are very reflective of my interactions with non-enthusiasts in regard to parks and coasters, of which I have a great deal more interaction than enthusiasts (at least in person.) So, for that reason, I don't see them as worthless, and unnecessary. Just a more mainstream, non-enthusiast perspective on what's "BIG" in the theme park world.

The Golden Ticket awards are a joke, but ranking Millennium Force really high isn't at all unreasonable. Of all the things to pick apart, that's not really one of them.

Personally I love super intense rides and Maverick and Steel Vengeance are some of my favorite coasters anywhere but (as everyone knows by now) I still prefer Millennium Force. The view from the top is stunning, getting ripped through the overbanks is great, the pullout of the drop is super intense, I love the low to the ground moments where it flies by trees and buildings and through tunnels to really exaggerate the sensation of insane speed. The ride is just so f*cking fast and it never lets up. I always walk off of it with a huge sh*t eating grin on my face because it's just so damn fun. We went to the park for the only time this year over Labor day weekend and despite having the best rides we've ever had on Steel Vengeance and absolutely loving every second of that ride I still like Millennium Force better. We got a front seat ride on it the day that we left and it was just so fantastic.

Oh, and it does have *some* airtime.