TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of the Giga's have "ejector" airtime (my opinion) on the drop if that's what you are asking. They are more drawn out, so duration may seem longer.

You also have to account for the obvious psychological impacts the sheer height will throw in there if you haven't been on something that tall before.

Many drop towers are accelerated downward to give you extra ejector airtime, and I generally find them to make my stomach jump more than coasters.

As far as B&M hypers and gigas go, they're really good at giving you a great floater airtime -- a freefalling sensation as you go down, which, to a less-experienced rider, will often cause that more fluttery feeling in the stomach. In that case, the taller the coaster, the more intense you feel that. However, some smaller coasters can give you more of the sensation of your stomach "jumping." I find this happens when you get good ejector airtime. In my experience Intamin and RMC are better at that; rides like Twisted Colossus or Maverick have some of the most intense drops yet they're not nearly as tall as the B&M hypers/gigas. Both types of airtime are fun, but in different ways.

The basic style drop towers are as exact a simulation as possible of falling to your death. Coasters connect the drop and airtime moments to a larger whole, and the track, at least, forms what in math is called a continuous function. Also drop towers are often designed so you can't see most of the structure that is holding you up from on the ride.

None of the Giga's have "ejector" airtime (my opinion) on the drop if that's what you are asking. They are more drawn out, so duration may seem longer.

You also have to account for the obvious psychological impacts the sheer height will throw in there if you haven't been on something that tall before.

Millennium Force was more psychological than stomach for me. Ride of Steel messes with my stomach more than MF seemed to, but I always ride back car on ROS for the whip. MF didnt really have that whip IMO, but we were 2nd to last car.

Many drop towers are accelerated downward to give you extra ejector airtime, and I generally find them to make my stomach jump more than coasters.

which ones are designed like this? i don't think i've ever ridden one.

^^ Try the Hershey tower next time you're at Hersheypark. It shoots up from the bottom, then when you come to a rest, it slowly lifts you to the top and then shoots you downward. Amazing ride.

I didnt ride (I can do shots but not drops) but my wife said it was crazy good. I rode Reese's Tower and that has awesome ejector air.

Millennium Force was more psychological than stomach for me. Ride of Steel messes with my stomach more than MF seemed to, but I always ride back car on ROS for the whip. MF didnt really have that whip IMO, but we were 2nd to last car.

Definitely true of MF; just looking at the shape of the drop should tell you it doesn’t have as much whip. V-sear B&M hypers like Diamondback give you decent whip in the back. Fury has a little bit more of a “pointy” crest than MF and I got some good whip in the back, which is why I consider that ride significantly better than MF.

No, dude. The feeling is nothing like a drop tower.

Don't over think it. Ride one. Sit in a middle row for the most mild experience. Have fun. If big coasters gave the kind of feeling you're fearing then very few people would ride them.