TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Qiddiya (Saudi Arabia) Discussion Thread

Come for the rides, stay for the human rights violations...as an openly gay male it sucks to know that I could be jailed for holding my partners hand while attending this park. But cool renderings, I guess...

I literally JUST POSTED a whole rant about people being rude and obnoxious and you go and post this. As much as I'm sure you are all aware we support the LGBTQ community this is NOT the appropriate place to bring up whatever issues you have. Take your drama someplace else. We don't need to hear it.

Edited by robbalvey

If this ride is ever built I’ll be convinced I’ve already died and gone to heaven! LOL!

It really looks that great.

Also it would be awesome for people who live in a different country to have something so crazy in their “back yard” in a sense. Not everyone has the same travel opportunities so I always root for more and more awesome rides being built around the world. It genuinely makes me smile to think about new people becoming coaster addicts across the world

Thanks for sharing the gorgeous concept art guys! Wasn’t even aware this was being talked about. The art looks ambitious to say the least(not even counting the ride).

Good day to everyone as always

Edited by Mustangman55

I think the ideas and concepts created are fantastic, and it makes me happy to see dreaming like this still happening.

I hope it gets built even to a 1/3rd of what the concept art is showing. . that's really a hell of a sizzle reel.

ETA, and I'm highly amused by how excited everyone is by the Tilt Coaster and the tallest/fastest/longest coaster shown in the art (and those ARE really cool). . but I'm most excited to see a new "Island in the sky" in the concept art.

I love those things, they remind me instantly of my Grandma - and going with her to Cypress Gardens where she loved to take us up on it. The moment i spotted it in the art, I got a big ass smile on my face.

thumb_08-sfq-sketch-valleyoffortune.jpg

If this opens, we'll put together a nice, safe trip to the UAE and Saudi Arabia so we can all go together! I feel like this will be a more strict Oman (which we've been to), and I might not like or agree with all of their rules/culture/law, but I'm willing to accept it for a day or two for that screwed up Tilt Coaster!

After the amazing Dubai trip you guys did a couple years ago, I'd be very much in for this trip. You nailed it. Nobody has to like or agree with their culture or laws, but pretending to be OK with it for a few days is a small price to pay for all the awesome stuff that's been announced (assuming it's actually built).

In any case, this is a great announcement for the area and those who live there. I hope many locals are aware and excited for this park!

Ok so here are my thoughts after spending a day weeding through probably the most "shit posts" we've ever gotten on a video in one day on our socials. It was one of those days where I seriously weeped for humanity not only from the just batshit crazy racist horrible posts I saw, but the extreme amount of stupidity showcased from just about every other post I read. Seriously, I ended up deleting well over 300 posts today and blocking at least 200 accounts across our socials for insanely vulgar, rude, racist, obnoxious and downright stupid comments.

Anyway...

- NO SHIT that rendering isn't even close to being real! Really, people? You're going to post over and over and over again about that factoid? Oh, I'm SO HAPPY we have you to tell us because we couldn't figure it out for ourselves. Yes, we all know that rending isn't real... But here's what **IS** real....

- Qiddiya obviously wants to built a park and they want it to be HUGE.

- They haven't already spent probably hundreds of thousands to millions on planning, partnerships, designs, and presentation assets if they weren't serious about building the park.

- While that coaster video may not be anywhere near representative of the actual coaster layout, here is what it DOES represents: The park wants to build the fastest, tallest, longest roller coaster in the world. That's not totally out of the realm of possibility, especially when you have a ton of money to put behind it.

- I know everyone is skeptical because we've seen so many parks in the UAE get announced and not happen... BUT... at least three major park projects DID get built! Yas Island attractions, Motiongate area, and IMG World are not small projects by any means and they did actually happen.

- Remember that Six Flags Dubai was cancelled after THREE OTHER full-sized parks were already built on that property.

- Saudi Arabia doesn't have ANY park like this at all. So it was 100% feasible that this may happen because it does fill a void in that country.

There are days like today where I honestly do not understand the "roller coaster community" and have zero hope for humanity. A brand new park gets announced with plans to build some seriously CRAZY looking rides. And yes, it is fine to be skeptical. It's fine to ask questions.

But why all the rudeness, racism, and horrible posts? WHY??? There is literally NO REASON for some of what I witnessed today. NONE. But this is the world we live in. And it is really sad.

I have no idea if this park will ever get built or if I'll ever go to Saudi Arabia when it does, but I have no reason to make horrible mean-spirited comments about something that clearly has funding, has a location, and has people who are working RIGHT NOW on this project.

Why can't so many other people see that as well?

/end rant.

Kinda curious to see some of these comments, not gonna lie. Do you have any screenshots of the madness?

Ok so here are my thoughts after spending a day weeding through probably the most "shit posts" we've ever gotten on a video in one day on our socials. It was one of those days where I seriously weeped for humanity not only from the just batshit crazy racist horrible posts I saw, but the extreme amount of stupidity showcased from just about every other post I read. Seriously, I ended up deleting well over 300 posts today and blocking at least 200 accounts across our socials for insanely vulgar, rude, racist, obnoxious and downright stupid comments.

Anyway...

- NO SHIT that rendering isn't even close to being real! Really, people? You're going to post over and over and over again about that factoid? Oh, I'm SO HAPPY we have you to tell us because we couldn't figure it out for ourselves. Yes, we all know that rending isn't real... But here's what **IS** real....

- Qiddiya obviously wants to built a park and they want it to be HUGE.

- They haven't already spent probably hundreds of thousands to millions on planning, partnerships, designs, and presentation assets if they weren't serious about building the park.

- While that coaster video may not be anywhere near representative of the actual coaster layout, here is what it DOES represents: The park wants to build the fastest, tallest, longest roller coaster in the world. That's not totally out of the realm of possibility, especially when you have a ton of money to put behind it.

- I know everyone is skeptical because we've seen so many parks in the UAE get announced and not happen... BUT... at least three major park projects DID get built! Yas Island attractions, Motiongate area, and IMG World are not small projects by any means and they did actually happen.

- Remember that Six Flags Dubai was cancelled after THREE OTHER full-sized parks were already built on that property.

- Saudi Arabia doesn't have ANY park like this at all. So it was 100% feasible that this may happen because it does fill a void in that country.

There are days like today where I honestly do not understand the "roller coaster community" and have zero hope for humanity. A brand new park gets announced with plans to build some seriously CRAZY looking rides. And yes, it is fine to be skeptical. It's fine to ask questions.

But why all the rudeness, racism, and horrible posts? WHY??? There is literally NO REASON for some of what I witnessed today. NONE. But this is the world we live in. And it is really sad.

I have no idea if this park will ever get built or if I'll ever go to Saudi Arabia when it does, but I have no reason to make horrible mean-spirited comments about something that clearly has funding, has a location, and has people who are working RIGHT NOW on this project.

Why can't so many other people see that as well?

/end rant.

Kinda curious to see some of these comments, not gonna lie. Do you have any screenshots of the madness?

No.

Come for the rides, stay for the human rights violations...as an openly gay male it sucks to know that I could be jailed for holding my partners hand while attending this park. But cool renderings, I guess...

I literally JUST POSTED a whole rant about people being rude and obnoxious and you go and post this. As much as I'm sure you are all aware we support the LGBTQ community this is NOT the appropriate place to bring up whatever issues you have. Take your drama someplace else. We don't need to hear it.

So people should keep their mouths shut when it's been rightfully pointed out that a percentage of guests would have to hide who they are to visit without being arrested? Sounds like some great LGBTQ+ community support there.

Well said, fully agree.

A park is not responsible for anything a government does, it just needs to operate within the confines of that countries laws and cultures, whether or not people from other countries/cultures agree is beside the point, and this TPR thread is not the place for this discussion.

It would be like critisising Magic mountain for the conditions in guantanamo bay on the magic mountain thread, totally irrelevant.

Anyway looking forward to seeing what materialises from the concept art.

Pete.

Edited by petestrash

Just wow..

I can't imagine that being built.

But on the other way - in Germany (or Europe in general) a world record breaking coaster (meaning "real" records, not "tallest coaster between latitude x and y") is out of the sight, but they may have the money to waste on that.

Looks like a well thought coaster portfolio. The tilt coaster, the hybrid, one or two family coasters and Falcon's Flight.

Elissa, put me on the list for that trip!

I honestly really love the look of this, the whole feeling and bonkers rides. I’m sure everyone who can make it there will have a blast

With that being said, I’m not sure I’ll ever go.

I’m not going to discuss politics but I don’t want to support some of the views (like others have mentioned) that the country has. Of course, everyone has a right to an opinion and mine just differs from theirs. The park can’t do anything about the laws of the country it’s in but that still doesn’t make me want to go to a country with questionable human rights practises and laws to go on a big rollercoaster.

That’s just my view, and I don’t have anything against anyone who does want to go. Hopefully it does get built so loads of people around the world do get to experience the awesome stuff shown

If this opens, we'll put together a nice, safe trip to the UAE and Saudi Arabia so we can all go together! I feel like this will be a more strict Oman (which we've been to), and I might not like or agree with all of their rules/culture/law, but I'm willing to accept it for a day or two for that screwed up Tilt Coaster!

Now that'd be something

Really curious to see if this actually goes forward because this park looks absolutely ridiculous (in a good way)

So people should keep their mouths shut when it's been rightfully pointed out that a percentage of guests would have to hide who they are to visit without being arrested? Sounds like some great LGBTQ+ community support there.

This thread is about the park and the roller coasters. If you cannot appreciate that and cannot control yourself to not post about political or social issues DO NOT POST TO OUR FORUM. This is not about whatever YOUR personal agenda or drama is. This is about the announcement and the attractions featured in the park. If you want to talk about the social issues in the country, DO IT SOMEPLACE ELSE!!!!!!!!

Have I made that clear?

Edited by robbalvey

I’m not going to discuss politics

YOU LITERALLY JUST FUCKING DID!!!!!

Seriously people.... THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT THE COUNTRY OF SAUDI ARABIA... IT IS ABOUT A THEME PARK THAT WAS ANNOUNCED!!!!

TAKE YOUR POLITICAL DRAMA SOMEPLACE ELSE!!!!!

After this response I’m a-ok with this being my last post here...eat a dick sir...

After this response I’m a-ok with this being my last post here...eat a dick sir...

Oh. My. GOSH!!! It is absolutely ADORABLE that you think I care....

giphy.gif

From this point on, anyone who simply cannot control themselves and just HAS to bring up political issues in a theme park forum will be immediately banned. This is NOT the appropriate place for it and if you cannot understand or respect that, we do not want you as a member here. Have I made myself clear?

Edited by robbalvey

I just wanted to say thanks to Robb, Elissa, and all of the other TPR moderators for dealing with all the hate comments and the coaster community's bullsh*t- mine included. This forum has always been one of the most uplifting, positive, and fun online "families" I've been a part of, and it's always really disheartening to see so much negativity on here. I know it sounds kinda stupid, but... thanks for keeping the site around for us to enjoy. I'm forever grateful.

And yeah, what's up with all the politics talk? It's a theme park. Y'all need to chill.

Really interesting development. Saudi Arabia doesn't have any major parks today, but just as with the other oil producing countries in the area, they know that the oil supply one day will drain, and of course they have been eying Dubai and the other emirates. Today, most of the tourism is related to the Hajj to Mekka, but the country has recently opened up for more leasure tourism as well.

The question is, do they mainly target guests from other muslim countries, or are they targeting westerners as well? Then the alcohol ban could be a problem. Unlike many neighbouring countries where you can drink in hotels and resorts, Saudi Arabia is a completely dry country when it comes to alcohol. You are not even allowed to be intoxicated while arriving to the country...

Will we survive such a trip?

Also it would be awesome for people who live in a different country to have something so crazy in their “back yard” in a sense. Not everyone has the same travel opportunities so I always root for more and more awesome rides being built around the world. It genuinely makes me smile to think about new people becoming coaster addicts across the world

According to RCDB, there are only 4 coasters listed under the "Extreme" category currently operating in Saudi Arabia, none of which enthusiasts are likely to consider extreme compared to our standards. Certainly is sobering considering the the current biggest coasters in the entire country of Saudi is a Surfider and a Boomerang. (And yet there are Ohioans complaining about Orion, but we're not going to talk about that...)

I really do hope this is completed as planned! Any mention of the project completion goal? I remember hearing something about 2023 in the video but I wasn't sure if that was the entire park or just one "phase."

I dug a bit into this, found this image on their twitter:

por80ow.jpg

hi-res: https://i.imgur.com/por80ow.jpg

If you zoom in you see parts of the (totally realistic) coaster.

Apparently, is should be built in this area:

https://www.google.nl/maps/@24.5930202,46.3024831,12275m/data=!3m1!1e3

And that area happens to have cliffs of about 200m / 650 ft high, so who knows

Yeah, while I don't think we should put much stock into the actual park design if the park is actually being built in a ridge like that (and based on the Google maps pin it seems that it is), then this will be an incredibly cool and unique location for a theme park.