TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Weirdest Things The 'GP' Have Said

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At Six Flags Magic Mountain

"The X2 is closed, where should we go next?" "The Viper is close, and so is The Tatsu. But where is the Goliath at?"

Hahaha, if they had mentioned Terminator, it would have sounded like this:

"I want to ride The Terminator Salvation: The Ride and shop at The Terminator Salvation: The store"

Well I worked on Mantis at Cedar Point last summer and could not believe the amount of times I told someone they HAVE to wear their shoes to ride. Usually the response is "This ride hoes upside down though, they will fall off!" Usually we reply "They wont fall off cause your STANDING on them." Whats even crazier is last summer not a single shoe was lost on the ride. The stairs leading up to the station however, oh man... I would say at least 4 times a weeks we would have to retrieve a misplaced shoe from below the stairs. How does this happen? I could never figure this out!

Also, at entrance you get all kinds of crazy questions. My favorite at Mantis is "Does this ride go upside down". Usually ends with me not saying a word and pointing at the giant Loop behind them.

This was one from my freind Travis who's right now learning a bit about coasters for the KD trip on 4/4, why? idk.

I said this.

Travis : I can't ride sonic, it was one of the best rides there

Me: They took it down

Travis: It was there in 07

Me: They took it down after the park closed in November

(Heres the common mistake people make for those who haven't gone the 08 season)

Travis: I bet they put that new coaster in its place, right?

Me: No, they put that in the front, and there putting a ride called "El Dorado" in the back.

Travis: Is it a coaster?

Me: No, its like divinhis cradle.

Travis: Ah, I gotcha

I love when the GP/Freinds agree with you

-Matthew.K

I worked back at SFoT in the mid 1990's, I always enjoyed parents trying to get their little kids (little meaning under 48 inches tall) on Shockwave and Texas Giant, then getting all bent out of shape at the ride ops and managment because they were under height.

Well I worked on Mantis at Cedar Point last summer and could not believe the amount of times I told someone they HAVE to wear their shoes to ride. Usually the response is "This ride hoes upside down though, they will fall off!" Usually we reply "They wont fall off cause your STANDING on them." Whats even crazier is last summer not a single shoe was lost on the ride. The stairs leading up to the station however, oh man... I would say at least 4 times a weeks we would have to retrieve a misplaced shoe from below the stairs. How does this happen? I could never figure this out!

Also, at entrance you get all kinds of crazy questions. My favorite at Mantis is "Does this ride go upside down". Usually ends with me not saying a word and pointing at the giant Loop behind them.

LOL...I get that all the time with the shoes!

Just cause a ride goes upside down does not mean you should take your shoes off. At scorpion (bgt) people would loose their sandals coming down the stairs, so we finally boarded the stairs underneath. I also have to keep telling them that the only ride they can take off their shoes or sandals is at SheiKra and Montu

Some fun questions I got asked while working on shows at Magic Mountain...

Can birds (I ran a bird show for the park) fly in the rain?

Are those real birds (as opposed to robotic ones)?

One of my personal favorites, a man once comes up to me in Carrot Club as I'm running the bird show and asks if he can have a coke and rum, and something for his wife that I can't recall. I look at him and point out that this is a sound booth, I don't serve drinks. Now I thought this guy was joking, but in all honesty he was mad! He stormed away complaining about "what kind of club doesn't serve drinks... I mean he has a point, but he was in Bugs Bunny world, in a club made up of giant carrots and was surprised I wouldn't serve him a drink.

For the parrot show we had a recorded speil on a CD that I would play to go along with the show. I can't begin to tell you how many times people asked if it was really me doing the talking... Despite the fact that you could actually hear when I turned the CD on because of a low level hiss.

I think people really struggle with reading signs and maps. If you're asking where Viper is and you're standing near Riddlers ok, I understand that. If you ask me where Goliath was and we're standing in front of Food ETC, I just never could understand. Did you miss the giant sign 25 feet away from you? Really?

Finally one of my favorite moments from working there. I'm running a Halloween Show up on Samurai Summit. I'm backstage helping out and when I come back outside I think I see some movement in the bushes. My sound system for this show was set up right behind the stone wall that borders most of Samurai Summit. So I quickly jump over the wall and see 2 kids, likely 14-15 years old, unhooking the sound system (they were held up if I recall because they didn't understand the concept of twist and lock connectors). I was absolutely stunned at this one. The sound system is going to be far too heavy to lift up and just carry out of the park. It was on wheels, but wouldn't you think that just maybe somebody is going to notice you walking out of the park with a sound system? After this incident I got the job of sitting outside watching the sound system to make sure nobody tried to steal it. Personally I say go ahead and try to steal the thing. It's not like you're going to get very far before somebody notices the large sound system with Magic Mountain on the side of it rolling through the park.

At WDW's Magic Kingdom:

GP-"Pirates of the Caribbean sucked, where was Johnny Depp?"

Cap'an Jack-"It's a classic ride made in 1972, the movie was made in 2003, and the ride inspired the movie."

GP-"So where's Johnny Depp?"

There are more than a few people who wished that exchange would make sense at Disneyland.

Sometimes I have my video camera out in the station getting shots, and sometimes I have it out until I'm the next person to ride. If I had nickle for every time someone walked up to me and talked about Final Destination 3.

Someone did that to me on Ninja at SFOG and tried not to be on the same train I was. After the ride I was filming on the exit ramp and the guy comes, pats me on the back and says "glad you made it out alive."

That movie is total donkey s***!

If there is one thing that pisses me off its when people talk about accident's that never happened or aren't even possible...

Here are a few examples:

1. In Milwaukee tons of people say that someone got their legs cut off on SUF at SFGAm... I always tell them that it was a drop ride at SFKK but they rarely believe me

2. Today I heard something that made me laugh so hard.

Person one: "I heard that someone flew out of a seat in the back row on Raging Bull and that's why they have those big lap bars"

Person two: "Yeah I heard that too!"

So me not being able to keep my mount shut jumped into the conversation and told them that such an accident never happened and that that the ride has always had restraints like that... Happily I won this debate!

I get so mad when I hear false rumors about roller coasters. I just can't stand it!

^I here this all the time at GADV.

GP: "Do you no that someone fell out of Kingda Ka? That is why the ride closed for so long a few years ago."

It makes me laugh every time I here it & I have to tell them that no one fell out of that ride it was a problem with the catch car. They always look puzzled & ask whats a catch car & then I end up explaining to them how the ride works & that the catch car failed during a test run & that nobody was hurt.

We get people taking off their shoes on Pony Express all the time. I just look at them, tell them they have to keeep their shoes on, and then ask, "What kinds of thing do you think have touched that platform do you think?"

Ladies and Gentleman, the real reason you wear shoes on anything that has a floor

^^I saw that act. I let it pass as he may have needed to change things around per comedy act

Way back when as a RO at Riddler's people would take their shoes off all the time. I told them all the time, "every ride here that has a floor requires shoes". When they asked why. I just told them "This ride's been open since 1998, and the floor has been washed 0 times".

If there is one thing that pisses me off its when people talk about accident's that never happened or aren't even possible...

Agreed. That sort of thing is just silly. A lot of the quotes in this thread really aren't particularly bad - after all, a dad telling a son about how a LIM coaster works is no bad thing, even if they got the wrong ride, and the GP doesn't know or care about ride statistics - but the random stories about accidents are generally just made up and spread around by people who want to sound impressive and should know better.

I think it might just be bad journalism in general that annoys me - e.g. articles that really don't make it clear whether someone died / was injured because of:

1) A ride failure

2) They climbed over a fence and stood in front of something that was moving fast

3) They had an existing medical condition which was made worse by getting on a rough ride.

In case 2) that's their own problem, and unless the ride is a 12G neck-snapping monster then case 3) really needn't be much of a consideration for parks - people make their own choices about doing exercise, going on rollercoasters, and other rigorous activities!

^ I agree with the media bit, and the accident bit.

Yesterday I questioned someone when they said Saw at Thorpe Park shut down because 'A car came loose on the tracks'. I never got to the bottom of what they meant. Although it did open 2 hours after that, so it can't have been that bad. Im not entering this as a 'dumbest things' quote or anything, just agreeing with the point above.

My top 3 are as follows.

3) Some guy coming off of Millennium Force last summer - "Wow, I think that's the tallest coaster in the world!" (Talking about Millennium Force). Never mind the fact that there's a giant yellow and red coaster 100 feet taller right in front of him.

2) Some kid at school - "My favorite part about Batman the Ride is when you drop into the tunnel and go through the three corkscrews."

1) I once got in an argument at school with someone who claimed they went to Disney's Animal Kingdom in 1992 and really liked the Lion King Roller Coaster. No matter how hard I tried to tell him that every single word of that statement is wrong, he said I was stupid and didn't know anything.