TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Weirdest Things The 'GP' Have Said

I was riding in the car by Mt. Olympus and was talking about Hades when one of my younger sisters was like "wouldn't it be scary if it got stuck in the tunnel?" I explained to them that the coaster uses gravity and then my older sister and my dad started to ridicule me because they thought I was wrong! It's hilarious when they think they know better.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^

Thinking coasters are all electirc-powered is a common mistake, but usually people understand it as soon as someone explains it to them. But actually laughing at you after you explain it? That IS indeed stupid. Especially considering they're your relatives, so you'd think they would know by now that you know more about the subject than they do.

Hahaha, i love proving the general public wrong. I was waiting for TTD to open once and they were testing it. Well this 10 year old kid and his dad were in front of me and they were watching the trains launch, and the dad pulls the usual role of "all knowing father character" and he tells his son, " do you know how they launch the trains? see those fins? they're magnets!". So then within seconds i had to bust out and prove him wrong, that its a magnetic breaking system in case of a rollback and the launch is from a hydrolic pulley system. It must have been entertaining for the kid to see his dad proven completely wrong after thinking he was so smart.

^Sometimes I jump in, but I'm sure to do it respectfully and in a way that doesn't sound snobbishly arrogant. Like for the TTD example, I'd mention that the magnets weren't the case on this coaster, though he's absolutely right that a lot of coasters utilize magnetic launches, like Wicked Twister and Maverick.

I think it's OK to correct people, but there is certainly a right way and a wrong way to do it.

And to contribute to the topic of the thread, at KI earlier this year (though still after the Diamondback announcement), I heard a group of people wondering why KI would "waste their money and add concrete flowerpot columns in the walkway...?"

^Funny you should metion that:

In my final days as a ride op at Knott's, Sidewinder was under construction. I thought it was funny that guests ask if "The New ride" will open today when there are huge gaps of track missing, no trains on site, and an array of workers bolting things together. Never gets old to me.

Hahaha, i love proving the general public wrong. I was waiting for TTD to open once and they were testing it. Well this 10 year old kid and his dad were in front of me and they were watching the trains launch, and the dad pulls the usual role of "all knowing father character" and he tells his son, " do you know how they launch the trains? see those fins? they're magnets!". So then within seconds i had to bust out and prove him wrong, that its a magnetic breaking system in case of a rollback and the launch is from a hydrolic pulley system. It must have been entertaining for the kid to see his dad proven completely wrong after thinking he was so smart.

Yeah, thinking that some coasters use magnets to launch. How idiotic of him.

Same thing happaned with Cornstaulkers. People walking around with maps would walk back to Dragon Swing, realize it wasn't there, and then turn around. I had gotten a bit of maps this year (to keep in my pocket for a visual guide for people) and the map was not difficult to read.

Yeah but Cornstalkers was pretty hard to find the line. It was all the way back neat KKC

Anyway to keep on with the topic,

I heard a father tell his son that California Screamin was one of the fastest rides in the world. He also said (heres the best part) that on the hill that uses lims that the chain was built on the tires and Disney did not like the way they looked so they decided to remove them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have to admit that Banned Kid has a valid point. Us as coaster enthusiasts know more than the average person would know about amusement rides. It's a bit nit-picky to ridicule people just because they don't understand as much as we do. That doesn't make a dumb guest, it just makes someone not as knowlegeable as you.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Mother in line for SKC talking to her son:

(pointing at the big loop with Superman on top) "That's the only loop it has. At least I think it is."

The rest of the inversions, six of them total, are all pretty visible from the other viewing areas around the park!

2. Another mother in the ToT line at MGM:

"You rode Space Mountain, so why can't you ride this one?"

3. Girl on the bus from Animal Kingdom talking on the cell phone:

"I rode the mount Everest one, and it's so awesome, it drops you 200 feet!"

Um, sorry to dissapoint you, but it's the mountain structure that's 200 feet, the actual drop is only 80 feet...

• 3 months later...

I was at SFOT and I was in line for Mr Freeze on the Flashpass line. I didn't want to go all the way back downstairs to hand my credit log book to my mom because while I was waiting in line I was logging my credits. So the conversation between me and another person in line went like this:

Stranger lady: Why are you writing down every ride you go on in your journal?

Me: Because I'm a coaster enthusiast.

Stranger lady: So you're obsessed with roller coasters?

Me: Yeah basically. I keep track of how many coasters I've ridden.

Her husband: I think that's abit over the top.

Me: I'm not the only one...

Stranger lady: Oh ok, but aren't you worried about your journal flying away during the ride? You're better off just tucking it in your pants pocket.

Me: (puts the book in my pocket) I'll make sure I keep my hand on it during the launch and inversions just incase.

I doin't have any weird things people have said, but I do have one where something stupid was done.

one time I was at SFOG back when Viper was there. in the evening, the crowds were light and I was able to ride Viper many times back-to-back. well, on one ride after one of the ride-ops got through checking the train, she hopped in the seat next to me and the train just took off and she didn't even have the lap bar down. I'm like what an idiot. she could've gotten fired if she had been caught. MAJOR safety violation!

the GP aren't the only stupid ppl in the parks!

In the line for the Zamperela Skater at Canobie Lake Park I overheard the folling conversation.

Son-One day the giant skateboard car flew right off the track ma!

Mother-really! Oh My God!

Son-Yep, all 50 people on the ride died.

Mother-your not going on this ride. Come on lets go.

Me-Im sorry to interupt your conversation but what your son said is impossible. The motor isint that strong and even if it went that far there are bumps in the rails to prevent it.

Mother-You sicko! You just want my son to die on this dangerous ride. Lets go Jimmy.

In the line for the Zamperela Skater at Canobie Lake Park I overheard the folling conversation.

Son-One day the giant skateboard car flew right off the track ma!

Mother-really! Oh My God!

Son-Yep, all 50 people on the ride died.

Mother-your not going on this ride. Come on lets go.

Me-Im sorry to interupt your conversation but what your son said is impossible. The motor isint that strong and even if it went that far there are bumps in the rails to prevent it.

Mother-You sicko! You just want my son to die on this dangerous ride. Lets go Jimmy.

You sick sick person

I've heard my friends say that someone grabbed on to the superman statue on S:tE at sfmm and then fell out...total bs lol

Reminds me of another time when me and a teacher from my school were talking about Vancouver Playland.

Teacher: I remembered many years ago I heard about some kid fell off the wave swinger ride. He didn't die but broke quite afew bones. And I heard about somebody fell off Coaster too and got ran over by the train.

Me: There's always rumours about how unsafe Coaster is...

Teacher: How do you know they're rumours?

Me: Because I checked www.rideaccidents.com

Teacher: Is that a reliable source?

Me: You're just trying to tell me not to get on that ride again, aren't ya?

I did not find any record of someone flying off and getting run over by the train. The closest thing I found was the train derailing, right here: http://www.rideaccidents.com/2004.html#aug26

1. Mother in line for SKC talking to her son:

(pointing at the big loop with Superman on top) "That's the only loop it has. At least I think it is."

The rest of the inversions, six of them total, are all pretty visible from the other viewing areas around the park!

3. Girl on the bus from Animal Kingdom talking on the cell phone:

"I rode the mount Everest one, and it's so awesome, it drops you 200 feet!"

Um, sorry to dissapoint you, but it's the mountain structure that's 200 feet, the actual drop is only 80 feet...

1. Technically it only has one "loop." Multiple inversions, yes, but only one loop.

3. Yeah, heaven forbid the general public don't memorize every stat for every coaster ever built.

Number 3 is exactly what TheBannedKid was talking about.

The original Ravine Flyer operated from 1922 to 1938.

www.rcdb.com/id2173.htm

"The Ravine Flyer II will replace the original Ravine Flyer, which Waldameer dismantled more than 60 years ago after a rider fell to his death. The new ride, like the old one, is to span Peninsula Drive near the entrance to Presque Isle State Park."

www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060119/NEWS02/601190397&SearchID=73233074035501

"The present Lakeview picinic shelter next to the new station was the original Ravine Flyer I Station"

www.waldameer.com/RavineFlyer2.html

Gotta love Google.