TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Weirdest Things The 'GP' Have Said

I just cannot do Waltzers or Trampolines. I can do ANYTHING else.

This happened at the same funfair.

I got around a five minute ride on a Waltzer because only one other person was on. I almost died on that.

I then went on the trampoline and I was physically sick on that.

In 2012 or 2011 or 2010 whatever, I went on this Waltzer at Winter Wonderland Hyde Park. It was literally the fastest Waltzer I have EVER seen. It had no headrest, even! My brother almost passed out on that thing but I was fine. He was completely dead after that but after that we did the Power Tower II and went home.

I can do ANY ride, just not Waltzers or trampolines. I have these hearing things in my ears that make me more sick, though... I can do virtually infinite rides at a theme park but at funfairs, one or two is more than enough. When the ear things get out, I'll feel less sick.

Everyone has "that one ride" they just can't enjoy. I'll have to make a topic about that.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget the GP, I don't like it when a "coaster enthusiast" rejects a flat ride under the assumption that it will make him sick or whatever. Get a grip, you claim to be better than the "general public" but you're so picky about what to ride that it just makes you look like a fool. All it does is just make the GP look so much smarter. And they can be kind of dumb sometimes.

Flat rides can't get you sick, at least not as easily as one might think.

People are different, and they react differently to stimuli. Who are you to judge the way someone's body works? I can ride coasters till the cows come home and feel fine, but the more extreme flat rides can make me feel really sick. I'm an airtime guy, not a positive G guy. When you add spinning to sustained positive Gs, it's something that my body can't deal with and punishes me for.

Forget the GP, I don't like it when a "coaster enthusiast" rejects a flat ride under the assumption that it will make him sick or whatever. Get a grip, you claim to be better than the "general public" but you're so picky about what to ride that it just makes you look like a fool. All it does is just make the GP look so much smarter. And they can be kind of dumb sometimes.

Just wait until motion sickness begins hitting you when (if?) you become an adult. It started hitting me in my 20s, and it is very real. Flat rides that spin are the worst offenders for me. You might want to educate yourself on motion sickness and the causes of it. I take Dramamine most days I am at a park, which works, or my day would be ruined very quickly by illness.

WTF? LOL! Is it a prerequisite that as an enthusiast that I have to feel I am "better" than the GP? LMAO. How would what does and does not make me nauseous make the GP smarter and me dumber? Who are you to tell anyone what can or cannot make them sick?? Riding rides, just like music and food, is subjective - what one person likes I might hate and vice versa. Maybe when you are an adult you will gain the ability to have some empathy for people before you judge them.

Oh OK I guess I just imagined that time I puked up my entire days meals immediately after riding the tea cups at Moreys about 15 years ago. It didn't happen, because flat rides can't make me sick right? FFS.

Just wait until motion sickness begins hitting you when (if?) you become an adult. It started hitting me in my 20s, and it is very real. Flat rides that spin are the worst offenders for me. You might want to educate yourself on motion sickness and the causes of it. I take Dramamine most days I am at a park, which works, or my day would be ruined very quickly by illness.

THIS. I rode any and everything all day long when I was a kid. Suddenly in my 20's I started to feel sick on any ride that spins in a tight circumference - tea cups and the like are main offenders for me. I'd love to be able to ride those rides but I don't want to end my day with my head in a trash can. I don't even mess with Dramamine. If I have to take something to enjoy a ride I just won't ride. I've recently been ok on rides like Pipe Scream, but an experiment on Ragin Cajun last year reminded me those rides are not for me.

^I have to take Dramamine or I would not be able to ride much, as even many inverting coasters still make me sick. I tend to still avoid rides that spin too much, but at least I can get through most of them. Thankfully, I have never thrown up on a ride, though I have come close!

This couldn't be more true. It didn't really start bothering me until my early 30s. Nothing used to ever bother me, but now it seems the list of rides to avoid or at least take in moderation, is growing. Loops on coasters don't bother me, but twisting inversions, especially corkscrews, can really get to me. Backwards coasters, especially with inversions like Boomerangs and Mr. Freeze, REALLY get to me. I have to be really picky on my spinning flat rides too. Nothing has ever made me puke, but if I'm not careful and get on the wrong ride, my dad is done and I won't feel like riding anything else, no matter how tame it may be. Dramamine is a requirement for visiting the parks.

I guess I'm a horrible enthusiast.

• 2 weeks later...

Yahoo Answers:

If i wanted to get roller coasster tycoon 3 would i have to have roller coaster tycoon 1?

i need to no why roller coaster are scientific. Thanx for the help.

Are roller coasters powered by electricity, like when they first go up the lift?

A roller coaster has a loop of radius 7.3m, please calculate the minimum speed required at the top of the loop so the car does not fall.

How do roller coasters get up to such high speeds and dont fall off the track? and how do they keep passengers from falling out?

"because my bro said that at least 100 people die each year from roller coasters"

Answers to a question of what the tallest coaster is:

The world's tallest roller coaster is Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio. I'm not sure how high it is, but it's over 300 feet.

Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point in Sandusky Ohio, near Lake Erie.

I'm not certain, but I think the world's tallest is in Cedar Point, Ohio.

It was the Millenium

How does Six Flags Magic Mountain compare to Disneyland roller coasters?

I just heard today, from someone who lives nearby Canada's Wonderland is that the park is bankrupt due to the additions of Behemoth and Leviathan. They're more than likely in debt and paying off Behemoth and Leviathan as they were quite expensive additions but, definitely not bankrupt as if they were bankrupt, they wouldn't be able to add new additions and the park would be put up for sale. Also, from the same person, the park is "same-old" as they haven't added anything new in the past 7 years. That is clearly wrong because Behemoth was added in 2008, Windseeker was added in 2011, Leviathan in 2012, Wonder Mountain's Guardian in 2014, and Slingshot, Typhoon, and Splash Station were added in 2015. And next year, Skyhawk and Flying Eagles will be added to the park. So, if those aren't additions to a park, then I don't know what is. I also think that same person were unaware that Behemoth and Leviathan were added within the past seven years. They also claim that the park will be closing after next year because it's the least visited amusement park. Well, they're wrong again as Canada's Wonderland is the most visited Seasonal amusement park in North America with over 3.5 million visitors last year. So, it was quite funny listening to this person tell their friends about Canada's Wonderland's financial situations and "zero" ride additions.

^

Seriously though, unless a coaster gets put in, the GP don't tend to notice. Not sure how someone who lives nearby the park would miss any of the new additions, however, most people where I am (about 2 1/2 hours away) think the last big addition was Leviathan. A lot of people around here only make the trip over to CW when a big coaster opens. So until "Ziz" gets added in 2017 (#should'vebeen2016 #f***U_CP) a lot of people are going to think the park added nothing for nearly 5 years, when in reality, business is booming, and they've added something nearly every season.

^

Seriously though, unless a coaster gets put in, the GP don't tend to notice. Not sure how someone who lives nearby the park would miss any of the new additions, however, most people where I am (about 2 1/2 hours away) think the last big addition was Leviathan. A lot of people around here only make the trip over to CW when a big coaster opens. So until "Ziz" gets added in 2017 (#should'vebeen2016 #f***U_CP) a lot of people are going to think the park added nothing for nearly 5 years, when in reality, business is booming, and they've added something nearly every season.

^

Yes, business is booming as they've added something new pretty much every year for the past five years, they've had an increase of season pass sales for the past few years, and seasonal attendance has been at an all time high for the past 5-6 years. I'm actually glad they have made some smaller additions recently as they're all great (except WMG) and I look forward to next year's ride additions, which are Skyhawk and Flying Eagles.

Another thing I've heard from the GP is that Canada's Wonderland is the "worst-valued" park in the way of admission price. Clearly they have no idea what they're talking about as Canada's Wonderland has 69 rides compared to other parks which have less rides and charge more for admission. But, the best deal to get is a season pass if you plan on visiting more than twice per season. I've been a season pass holder for 5 years now and the park keeps on getting better and better each season except when the park decided to remove SkyRider, which was an amazing stand-up coaster but luckily it's now operating at Cavallino Matto in Italy as Freestyle!

^Agreed. Skyrider was/is amazing. If they'd just outfitted it with sit down trains, (pulled a mantis conversion), it would've been near perfect, and maybe increased ridership just enough to keep it around. Either way, like you said, glad it's at least still operating, albeit overseas.

SkyRider was amazing but, I don't think converting it to a sit-down would have helped it stay around at the park a little longer. I personally thought it was great as a stand-up coaster because of the airtime on the first hill. I also rode SkyRider with my hands in the air. One speculation some of the GP had when SkyRider was announced for removal last year was that "The reason why SkyRider is being removed is because it killed someone!". It was completely untrue so, I found it quite funny because the people I heard saying this were the ones waiting in line to ride it!.

(I can't remember the exact conversation)

A couple of years after a Parc Asterix trip, talking to some random friend. I started the conversation talking about how I regretted not going on Tonnerre de Zeus. He said everyone went on it. I then described what it looked like and he ended up saying about the log flume and how everyone went on it. I then said it was the wooden coaster I was talking about and then he said the log flume is a wooden coaster.

Apparently, 13/14 year olds can't tell the difference between a log flume and a wooden coaster! What has the world come to?!

• 4 weeks later...

Some day as you grow up you will realize how your body changes.

When I was younger I LOVED flat rides like MaxAir, Kamikaze, Ring-Of-Fire, Zipper, ect... Now there is no way I can ride any of them. And it's not because I am "under the assumption" that it will make me sick. I KNOW they make me sick. From experience. I'm sorry if you think it is "being picky" but to me it is being smart, and insuring that I do not ride one ride that will make me sick, and ruin the rest of the day at the park for me. I'm sorry if you think "coaster enthusiast make the GP look so much smarter" by protecting themselves, by not riding a ride they KNOW will make them sick. To me that makes coaster enthusiast smart, because instead of riding one ride that will ruin the rest of the day for them, they skip it, and enjoy the rest of their day. I know I have never been considered "picky" when I am at a park for seeing a ride, and saying "No thanks, you all can ride it if you want, but I know it will make me sick... So it's best if I sit this one out." Easy as that, takes 5 seconds, and no one ever thinks anything of it.

There is a reason a lot of flat rides are nick-named "Spin and puke" rides, and it's not because some "coaster enthusiast were being picky."

If you are prone to motion sickness even... after taking motion sickness medicine some flat rides can still cause you to become sick after riding them. Again, I know this from experience. Taking motion sickness medication keeps roller coasters rideable, but not some flat rides.

Overheard at the exit of Powder Keg today: "A launched giga coaster--that's what Worlds of Fun needs."

The moral of this story, kids: Don't say stupid things. It'll be posted in the Internet.

That actually sounds awesome to me! I don't know if I missed the point, but I'm guessing you mean it's stupid because it doesn't exist? It should exist!

Overheard at the exit of Powder Keg today: "A launched giga coaster--that's what Worlds of Fun needs."

The moral of this story, kids: Don't say stupid things. It'll be posted in the Internet.

That actually sounds awesome to me! I don't know if I missed the point, but I'm guessing you mean it's stupid because it doesn't exist? It should exist!

A launched Giga coaster does sound interesting! I think the reason why the kids were accused of saying stupid things is because they had this idea while at Silver Dollar City and not at Worlds of Fun. So, they may have been confused as to which park they were at or they actually meant a launched giga coaster should open at Worlds of Fun.

A launched Giga coaster does sound interesting! I think the reason why the kids were accused of saying stupid things is because they had this idea while at Silver Dollar City and not at Worlds of Fun. So, they may have been confused as to which park they were at or they actually meant a launched giga coaster should open at Worlds of Fun.

Or maybe they thought Powder Keg was a launched giga, and said Worlds of Fun should get one too.