TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Weirdest Things The 'GP' Have Said

Overheard in line for Blue Streak at Cedar Point last night, from a well-informed tweener to his peers: "This is the oldest ride in the park. It was built it 1924 or sometime around then."

To be fair, he was only off by 40 years.

Also heard this morning in Cedar Point's Town Hall Museum, on a looping DVD chronicling the history of Cedar Point: "the Cedar Point Cyclone was designed by Harry Traver, who also designed the infamous Coney Island Cyclone."

Not even close. Geez, would a little research have killed them?

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overheard in line for Blue Streak at Cedar Point last night, from a well-informed tweener to his peers: "This is the oldest ride in the park. It was built it 1924 or sometime around then."

Also heard this morning in Cedar Point's Town Hall Museum, on a looping DVD chronicling the history of Cedar Point: "the Cedar Point Cyclone was designed by Harry Traver, who also designed the infamous Coney Island Cyclone."

Wrong Harry

Wrong Harry

You're a wizard, Harry.

The GP at worlds of fun are totally convinced that mamba is the world tallest, fastest, longest, best roller coaster ever. Also, during my visit two weeks ago, Mamba stopped on the lift. Whenever the lift started back up, it made a siren go off like all coasters do. The lady in front of me said, "Oh no! The alarm is going off because the train derailed!", while clearly looking at the whole train going up the lift hill. Then when the train came back from the last few airtime hills, she screamed, 'Look! There is only 4 wagons on the cart! It used to have 15!" Then somehow I ended up behind her on the ride, and when we hit the final brakes, she flipped out saying it jumped the tracks like 30 times. I wish the concept of airtime was easy to explain without making a fool of myself!

^ She is brave to go on a ride which train has just derailed!

I hate vlogs, but here I was curious because Cannibal... I regret my decision. I might have watched two seconds of it... I want these back.

"It's called Lagoon. It's like Six Flags."

"The 200° drop is so terrifying."

*burns computer*

Screenshot_14.png.0c8894b4003ae324271e724a49f75a1e.png

Roller coaster post... hmmm...

I found this while looking around on Facebook. I scanned the comments and it's absolute hell and half of them are like

"It will also break 10 legs"

"Called 'The Amputator'"

"If it's at Alton Towers I'm not going"

I really don't like those kinds of comments as they joke about an incident that shouldn't be joked with. I found some others worth mentioning:

Screenshot_15.png.17592950e4efdd52e621f087ad989f8c.png

No it's not.

No it's not just ShieKra. Just because it's a dive coaster, it's not ShieKra. It's like commenting 'It's just MF' when a giga coaster is announced...

Screenshot_16.png.7a62e4d488bf5a72030de17656a9afcd.png

SERIOUSLY?!

Seriously? You can't bother just to click the link that the original poster made?!

Screenshot_17.png.085f38f0287c7dcf21094cdfaec8a2f9.png

NO IT'S NOT!!!

Same as I said before.

Screenshot_19.png.c9ba52c055ad09aa7e2ddfab33425431.png

This is just insulting AT right now.

Okay, this is just insulting Alton Towers now. At least GIVE THEM A CHANCE!!!

Screenshot_18.png.1003e8e42b0dce2a1dd3ff4a4901bf1a.png

I'm out. I can't deal with this anymore.

Yes I got that (thanks for the reply anyway), but what are the 10 records it breaks? Tallest coaster... of the plaza? Fastest coaster... that is orange?

1. Tallest dive coaster (223feet)

2. Fastest dive coaster (75mph)

3. Longest dive coaster (3,415feet)

4. Most inversionson a dive coaster (3)

5. Longest drop on a dive coaster (214feet)

6. Highest inversions on a dive coaster (165feet)

7. Most roller coasters taller than 200 feet at one amusement park (5)

8. Most rides at one amusement park (72)

9. Most steel roller coaster track at one amusement park (52,125feet/9.9miles)

10. Most roller coaster track at one amusement park (60,110feet/11.4miles)

"Thanks, AFN7."

Okay, this is just insulting Alton Towers now. At least GIVE THEM A CHANCE!!!

screenshot_18.png.e40c971fa3321c92969ea24a636d3ba2.png

I'm out. I can't deal with this anymore.

What's so annoying about this is that these people will always find a way to complain/make these statements. Because I could totally imagine this very person (like many others) saying that old rides are dangerous.

This is the same thing that happens on other occasions, like with cars vs airplanes. We all know airplanes are much safer and still while there are plenty of people who fear they might crash you don't see anyone fearing for their lives as they enter a car. Some stick the idea in their head that roller coasters are dangerous and there's nothing you can do/say to change that.

The thing is, though, that roller coasters are dangerous. So are cars, guns, lawn mowers, and tablesaws. You can lose a limb or your life to any of these objects. But with all these things, the dangers are known, and there are safety devices and operating rules that make them safe. You don't just stroll up casually to heavy machinery. Roller coasters are just really big machines, and should be approached cautiously like all other machines. That's why we have safety checks, restraints, and fences to keep idiots from attempting to retrieve their phones.

Really, this is just a trust issue. People who are irrationally afraid of roller coasters just don't have faith in the engineers and operators. Sometimes that fear is certainly justified--there are coaster manufacturers who don't use the best methods, and there are parks who don't maintain them properly. Same with cars; there have been models with sticky gas pedals and exploding gas tanks. And there are well designed cars with exhaust pipes that rust out and fall off because the owner didn't maintain them. In general, though, I'll trust an automobile engineer way more than I trust a driver, and I'll trust a roller coaster designer way more than I'll trust a park guest who's afraid of it.

I literally did a school report on how safe roller coasters are... Kids don't want to listen ;-; Also I went to sfne two days ago and no one was listening to the "double feature announcement", and bizarro is the big name ride! I think I'll do some art on paper and stick it on the entrance shouting about superman the ride xddddd

Found this piece of gold in the comments section of one of the many articles detailing the latest on the Star Wars themed land at Disneyland...does anyone seriously believe that a 14-acre land is going to fit in the spot where one single attraction currently sits?!?! And no, Goofy is not a horse- he's a dog. But nice try!

IMG_6387_edited.PNG.b10f90f4d0f4ddcd37b7d9e9d2a79edb.PNG

*double facepalm*

Found this piece of gold in the comments section of one of the many articles detailing the latest on the Star Wars themed land at Disneyland...does anyone seriously believe that a 14-acre land is going to fit in the spot where one single attraction currently sits?!?! And no, Goofy is not a horse- he's a dog. But nice try!

Would not be surprised if the bottom post is complete sarcasm

I found this on Facebook, it's called the VALRAVN BIRDSEYE

It's not the only one, Spi0n, a french... news site (?) also reported it as Valravn Birdseye, as long as stating it's the tallest, fastest and coaster with the most inversions in the world. *facepalm*