TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Weirdest Things The 'GP' Have Said

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's something you eventually grow out of.

I really hope so, because I can't stand a lot of people. I feel like that has made me a few enemies. And no, I'm not just an angsty teenager who claims to hate everybody because nobody "gets" him/her. (Another type of person I don't like). ANYWAYS, back to funny GP stories! Who's up next?

Random kid next to me on the lift for Alpengeist:

Him: I love this ride. Did you know it's the tallest roller coaster in the park?

Me: No It's the second tallest with the third tallest drop. Griffon is 205 feet and Apollo's Chariot is 170, but AP has a 220 foot drop.

Him: No it's this one. I know that because I timed the drops for this and the "Blue One" (Griffon), and this one was longer.

Me: That's because Griffon is vertical, while this one is curving downwards. There's more track length on this drop, so it takes longer.

Him: You're stupid, you can see the top of griffon from this ride, so Alpengeist is taller.

*Ride drops and he shuts up, until we hit the break run.

Him: I know the most about roller coasters in my family, so I know I'm right.

I swear did not make a word of this up.

The random kids that sit next to you at theme parks are the weirdest. I've had a similar experience at Seaworld Orlando. The boy kept telling me he is from Britian. His grandma is waiting on him at the exit. This was his 9th time riding Manta. And if you sit at the end, you get wet. I was never so glad to leave a coaster.

One day last summer, I was waiting in line for Renegade at Valleyfair, and I overheard some elementary school-age kid say "I love wooden coasters! You're more likely to fall out on them!"

I would, but I think ignorant people who THINK they're smart are unbearable.

True. And it really annoys me when someone is trying to convince you that something you are 110% sure about is not true.

At Disneyland this past weekend, I was walking by the Matterhorn, which was down for rehab, and heard a teenager explaining how the ride was closed since they ran out of snow.

Conversely, I also ran into a really knowledgeable kid in line for Indiana Jones. He knew that the ride stood where the Eyepre lot used to be and showed me the sign behind the projector.

• 2 weeks later...

Was reading some Facebook comments about Fury 325, and since it doesn't have over-the-shoulder-restraints, a lot of the GP thinks that means it is "an accident waiting to happen" and "suicide". Sigh... The GP will never learn.

Was reading some Facebook comments about Fury 325, and since it doesn't have over-the-shoulder-restraints, a lot of the GP thinks that means it is "an accident waiting to happen" and "suicide". Sigh... The GP will never learn.

On the other hand, that mentality can actually be good for a park. The park knows it's safe, and most people who visit the park know it's safe, so a coaster having a reputation for being extreme can be a source of word-of-mouth advertising.

One day last summer, I was waiting in line for Renegade at Valleyfair, and I overheard some elementary school-age kid say "I love wooden coasters! You're more likely to fall out on them!"

Kids often don't have the background knowledge or the vocabulary to describe something, but they can be as perceptive as adults are. This kid is likely enjoying the feeling of airtime, and just stated it in the only way he knew how. You spotted a future enthusiast!

^ Perfect.

I was at KD, opening day, and in the front row of FoF. The guy next in line (he's around 19) starts talking to his buddy.

"Your gonna piss yourself!"

I look over and say "Oh, admit it, you already did."

This gets him really riled up. "This thing has no restraints, its really dangerous."

The ride-ops clear the ride, and I put my hands up, ready to get launched. "If it was dangerous, it wouldn't be running for time it has been, now would it?"

Later that day, I walked off of Anaconda (my friend was getting the credit), and the same two guys were behind us.

"Oh my god! Did you see how high we were? We were like, 400 feet in the air!"

Later that day, I walked off of Anaconda (my friend was getting the credit), and the same two guys were behind us.

"Oh my god! Did you see how high we were? We were like, 400 feet in the air!"

How tall do they think Intimidator is then?

I go to an engineering university and overheard a few guys from video club say that they were planning a trip to Six Flags in California to ride a highly themed ride based on a video game. I was really confused, but then I realized that they were talking about the train wrap that they are putting on Goliath at Magic Mountain for the Monster Hunter video game. Will they be shocked when they travel cross-country for that.

Most of the GP and some of my friends still think New Texas Giant is a wooden coaster. It has entire steel track so I highly doubt it's a wooden coaster. Also a lot of my friends think the rides at Worlds of Fun are death traps. They are always sayng," did you know ten people die on mamba every year!"