TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Weirdest Things The 'GP' Have Said

After hearing that Superman: Ride Of Steel at SFNE was "Boring because it only went upside down once," I decided that the GP were getting out of hand.

LMFAO!!!

And I have decided that YOU are taking this RECREATIONAL activity too seriously. Just laugh a little, maybe explain them the difference between an inversion and an overbank, and be nice.

Hey, if it weren't for us enthusiasts noticing this, the Gp would be perfectly content with riding one Veklona after another, blissfully unaware of there being anything better out there.

LOL. If it weren't for the GP, we wouldn't have parks filled with ANY roller coasters.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At Hersheypark, the park was empty one day and on Wildcat, althought they were running 2 trains, they had the middle 1/3 of the train chained off (I guess they didn't have the staff to check as many lap bars or didn't want to be bothered). The ride should have been a walk on but was a 3 train wait because of the chained off seats. While waiting, some people started speculating why the middle part of the train was closed.

One idea was, "They have that part of the train closed, so it won't tip over because it isn't balanced." Other people in line seemed to go with that theory. I was thinking to myself, if the train would tip over with a full train load of people, it would either never run at all like that or they would never load a full train even on days when the wait is 30+ minutes.

I only get annoyed when GP interrupt me to tell me something that isn't true. For example, when I was in line for Silver Bullet once, my friend (who was terrified of getting on it) asked me if it went faster than Ghostrider. When I said it didn't, this girl behind me started arguing with me about it. My friend almost missed out on his favorite coaster.

After hearing that Superman: Ride Of Steel at SFNE was "Boring because it only went upside down once," I decided that the GP were getting out of hand.

First of all, Superman does NOT go "upside down once." It does not have any inversions. The closest thing it has is the overbank. And it is not "boring." Honestly. Post your GP complaints here!

3 Questions:

1. What can you possibly do about it?

2. You just told the coaster community that S:RoS doesn't go upside down. GP don't normally read these kinds of things.

3. How are they getting out of hand?

I may sound like a b*tch, and I'm sorry if I do. But, people are the way they are, whether it be gullible or just stupid. It's not like you can change any of it, and if you could, they'd call you stupid. Belive me, it's happened to me more than a few times.

The only things that the general public says that annoys me is stuff like "Did you ride that green coaster than stands up? I think its called Goliath, no wait I think its Viper, no Batman, Ahh we'll just call it the Stand Up coaster!" There are more than plenty of signs that tell you the names!

Edited by XII

The things that annoy me are when someone says "Hey, have you been on that coaster at SFMW that launches up the hill at 100 mph and spirals down while going upside down?" (No such possibility...too painful and doesn't exist) or things like "Does this go upside down?" C'mon now...the coaster's right in front of them, they're looking at the darn thing...are they that naive?

^ I admit, that annoys me. I was locking somebody into Riddler's and they asked me "do you go upside down?", out of all sincerety!

Did you not freakin see the six inversions on your way in?! Was the flatspin over the queue not close enough?!

But then again, perhaps I'm not annoyed by the GP....just stupid people!

-Jahan

There's definitely a degree of "general public" intelligence, and from experience it's only a minority that talk up the crap i.e. the teens.

But even then I get mates (blonde, female mates) who have come back from rides and given me the same feedback that I thought.

And I do think that the enthusiasts do hold a certain input into new thrill rides. We're the ones with the "realistic" creative perspectives, and I know for a fact not many attractions would be out these days without a bit of ordering out thrown on the side. But like I said, there's a degree again. We might say "inversions with lap-bars" while the public will be just as happy with none with OTSRs. While there's definitely a point where the mainstream of society who has intelligence will pickup things such as "intense" and "coming out of your seat," the little nit picky things that we see aren't necessarily what a guest cares about. Shame too.

But yeah, some people are just idiots. I have heard just about every single thing in the book, from "this ride (which does 30kph) does 300kph" to "they're just in the process of fixing a restraint which I saw open up half way down the ride."

I can't ever talk with anyone about coasters, because I try to tell them how cool I think rides like Thunderhead are, and they always say something like, "That's lame, since it's only 100 ft. tall. Why don't you ride Kingda Ka, it's better because it's so much taller."

It also seems like lots of people have very photographic memory, except when it comes to amusement parks. Everyone always seems to get the rides mixed together in their heads. I was talking with one person about Wet-n-Wild, Orlando, and he started telling me about this water slide where you lay down on your stomach on a mat while going down a vertical drop into a big toilet bowl, and then you go upside-down... etc... blah...blah...then you die...blah blah blah. I can never find myself in the position to argue. I just realize how stupid I would sound trying to correct people.

It's the same with almost any hobby. When somebody comes up to me and starts talking about a football team's stats or car engines, I start to fall asleep. I don't really care whether or not I can name every car engine, I just want the car to run. Just like when I start listing off random coaster stats, people are like, "Um, yeah, whatever. "

One time, some guy told me that S:ROS at Six Flags New England isn't the tallest roller coaster in the world. What a moron. That ride is like 500 feet tall.

Last night, I went to Canobie Lake Park, and went on the roller coaster. I got stuck in one of the loops. Five minutes later, they turned the ride back on and we got going again.

Idiot mode off. I hate it when the GP say "Lets ride the roller coaster!", and theres at least five roller coasters in the park.

The only thing that bothers me is when I am standing next to a group of people I don't know and they are giving false facts to eachother. I mostly see these people at Cliff's. I am usually rude and interrupt these people to get their facts right and that's how I be rude for the sake of coaster facts! I try to be polite, though!

^^Guess what, S:ROS is only 208 feet tall! 221 ft. drop though!

I remember one time at SFGadv, I was standing online for Nitro when these 2 girls infront of me were like, "WOW THIS RIDE IS AS TALL AT THE EMPIRE STATE BUILDING!" I just laughed it off. The part I thought was strange was when one person said the RAMT at SFGadv when straight down .

I used to be one of those people...

My other pet peeve is when people exaggerate stats (at SFMM, I learned that Viper was 300' tall and the first loop was 210', the second 150' and the third 100'. And did you know that Arrow corkscrews are actually called "flatspins"?)

I also hate line cutters. Although at SFNE, one person cut in line to get in the back of the SLC. I enjoyed their looks of pain as they got off.

Well, while I was waiting in line for the Sky Buckets at SFOG, there are these two kids in front me. The conversation is as follows:

Boy: It takes magnets to makes G's. I think the magnets are off today.

Girl: 4 G's can kill you.

Boy: Yeah, but nothing could create 4 G's. It's impossible. Especially if you weigh over 100 pounds!

kids these days...

I have found that when I talk to my friends about coasters and ask them what they like I often realise that its the B&M stuff they enjoy most. From Alton towers' collection to people I know who traval to various SF parks they all like the B&M's.

One particular mate did not know one coaster from another but on a trip to SFGAdv. (Before KK) he picked out medusa and nitro as his pick and identified their Batman as a 'version of Nemesis'.

I too hate it when people make silly comments which are just wrong when I think I know what is right but you can't say the GP are stupid for not knowing about this stuff. This is just the great dichotomy of life

The only things that the general public says that annot=ys me is stuff like "Did you ride that green coaster than stands up? I think its called Goliath, no wait I think its Viper, no Batman, Ahh we'll just call it the Stand Up coaster!" There are more than plenty of signs that tell you the names!

Last time I was there, they called Tatsu "Ninja" as well as "Ninjitsu"

Go figure.

Well, you can divide the GP into 2 different categories, in which one of them is acceptable (in my opinion): Those who are just casual riders that don't know the coaster lingo and stats but atleast know what the park's coasters are (meaning not making up some weird off-the-wall death machine coaster) and those who are just complete naive, meaning they think coasters are driven by motors throughout the course and will stall on a power outage or lack of common sense. Even a casual coaster rider should have some kind of common sense whether the coaster inverts or not (if it's not an indoor coaster they never rode) or know that a coaster relies on gravity and is only affected by brakes, launches, or lifts.

Once I was at SFGAdv in the line for Medusa and there were these people saying: Where the hell is Kingda Ka? I am like in my mind; uhhh....well you can see thru out the whole entire park, it isn't that hard to miss. Pretty stupid people.

Another time, I was also at SFGAdv, people in line in front of me were talking about Nitro and one guy was like, "Yeah. Nitro's loops rock". I was getting mad, because Nitro doesn't have any loops!

What I think I hate the most about the GP is how they think that rules apply to everyone except them. And this isn't just in amusement parks because I see it every night at my hotel! There is a sign that clearly says that we lock our front doors at night, and to use you key to get in. But every night, some idiot decides that that that rule doesn't apply to him, and that he needs to pry open or break down the doors to get in. They walk into our cordoned off restraurants and make themselves at home, they break open our locked ice cream freezer in the gift shop...the list goes on and on.

I am not sure why people think that they can just go anywhere they like despite the fact that they are clearly being told they can't. In December, I saw an entire family jump over the rails at Spaceship Earth so they didn't have to wait. When a friend asked what they were doing, the father was like "I'm getting in line!!!" Oh, so I guess you and you alone are exempt from waiting in line like everyone else. Of course. I didn't realize who I was speaking to

I also can't stand when the GP insists on what they are saying is true, when they realy have no clue what they are talking about. Like how you will hear people say "Yeah, I rode the roller coaster inside the big ball at Epcot and it was awesome! It flipped me upside down 10 times!" Get real hahaha I have no tolerance for flaunting your ignorance, and that is ignorance, plain and simple.

-Julie

Haha, these threads keep popping up on various forums and I still laugh each and every time.

Sure, some of the things they say may be blindingly obvious and silly to you, but that's hardly a reason to mock them.

Oh man, one day I'm going to start a webcomic dedicated to the joys of coaster enthusiasm (Or lack thereof)

Like this

A few things I have heard:

"Did you hear about the seat that fell off of Top Gun at Great America?"

"Does Boomerang go upside down?"

"Medusa is 1000ft tall"

"Did you hear about PGA taking out Stealth? It was because the restraints released on the whole train and everyone died. I saw them tearing up the track with a wrecking ball."

"SFMW stole Boomerangs design from Invertigo"

"I saw Zonga's restraints open at the top of the green loop, everyone fell out, but they landed in the train when it reached the bottom of the loop."

"Did you know they actually crashed Demon at PGA to film Final Destination 3?"

"They have to rebuild ROAR every year so the wood won't rot"