TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Weirdest Things The 'GP' Have Said

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always like "the back is faster than the front" then I say "then how come the back doesn't get to the station first?" (this is on flight deck but can probably be applied to every coaster besides a boomarang)

I think they meant that the back faces more acceleration G's than the front.

Earlier, I was doing some yoyo trick called Gyroscopic Flop (the yoyo changes it's axis kind of like rolling over sideways) when some kid says "ooh, that looks like Superman at CGA...I mean Six Flags!

I find it funny that SFDK's new coaster was the first thing that came to mind when I did that trick. He then proceeded to tell me how "The Medusa" is cool.

I heard a father talking to his family in line when I was operating a ride today:

"The best time to ride roller coasters is in the cold weather because they run faster when the tracks shrink"

Exactly why we remove some of the anti-rollbacks in the summer months here in the Northeast.

Someone talking about Formula Rossa:

But it has en engine ! The Leviathan (Canada's Wonderland) goes at 92 MPH only with the gravity !

They probably mean launch vs. lift... considering they knew about Formula Rossa and Leviathan, they sound pretty good compared to your average GP.

Kinda unrelated, but I've seen two comments (I think SkyRush and X-Flight) that say "like a render but the heartline is offset"... does that have to do with the winged seats on the rides or is it just some meme among coaster enthusiasts?

I have heard from two different people that they don't like the lap bars on Roar at SFDK, believing them to be painful. They think it should have OTSR's instead.

Also, have you ever tried to convince a Californian that the best thing about a coaster is the airtime? It is like convincing someone that Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is a movie worth watching. You know you are probably right, but they will never believe you until they experience it. California really needs an airtime machine.

Heard a couple good ones yesterday. Let's start with my cousin of all people...who is a TPR member as well (She's not that active unfortunately). En route to CGA yesterday, we were talking about random nonsense when she comes out saying: "Remember when we went to Six Flags?"

Me: "Yea, but which one?"

Cousin: "You know, the one that had Batman and stuff"

Me: *Thinking back when SFDK had the Batman show, as well as SFMM's Batman coaser* "Well, Batman is one of the Six Flags characters."

Cousin: *Sighs* "Ok, well the one we had to drive a long way to."

Me: "Oh, SFMM you mean!"

Later in the day at CGA getting ready to board Firefall:

Me: "Well, it looks like we'll be on the next row."

Cousin: "You mean the next cycle?"

Me: "No, the next row."

Cousin: "We'll be going on the 3rd row then, I don't think we've ever sat there before!"

Me: *near facepalm* "Nobody has ever been on the 3rd row...it doesn't exist!"

*Silence afterwards...*

In line for the waterslide, the slide is e-stopped, presuming that someone maybe did something requiring them to shut off the pumps for that slide, my cousin and I are talking about the wait, e-stops and rides being down. Both of us are bearing our TPR shirts. Some guests behind us ask: "Excuse me, do you guys work here? What's going on?"

Us: "No we don't and we aren't quite sure what happened."

GP: "I was wondering because your shirts say 'Theme Park Review' on it, and I hear you talking about waits and ride operation stuff. What is Theme Park Review then?"

Us: *Explains what TPR is*

We then got into a conversation about SFMM and some of their rides when they tell me about when they went 10 years ago and how they were bummed by riding Superman - that it was a huge letdown/disappointment. I got to telling them about how the ride was 'redone' when they quickly interrupted asking if it does twists and turns instead of the 'go up and down the giant L-shaped track.' I then explained that they reversed the cars so you get launched backwards now. They didn't quite seem to understand until I re-explained it. By then, the pumps came back on and we were on our way to having some delicious airtime on the Boomerango slide!

Then we had the line jumpers/excuse me's (probably a total of 8) when I finally indirectly said that this was getting rather annoying and that if a group is to get in line, get in line as the entire group, not half of the group then the rest of their group come in to meet up. 6 of them decided to move back behind us while the other 2 (who didn't even appear to meet up with another group, just wanted ahead of us) stayed put. My cousin noticed that one looked like they were about to cry while I heard some others ranting saying "Well I did say 'excuse me,' there shouldnt have been any problems with that." Again, this group that quickly moved behind us didn't appear to have the rest of their party ahead, just wanted past us.

Scott pilgrim vs the world is an awesome movie. So that analogy doesn't work for me. I would say it's more like saying spice world was a good movie. (it wasn't)

Actually, that analogy should work to people who like it. At least in my case, I like Scott Pilgrim, and everyone I know who has seen it likes it. However, most people who haven't seen it will not watch it, not being able to grasp the fact that it is actually a good movie. Ejector airtime seems to work the same way to many Californians, as they do not know how awesome it is, and, therefore, assume it is not that great and giant loops are better.

In fact, if it weren't for Scott Pilgrim's high Rotten Tomatores score (that it deserves), I may have never watched the movie. However, this same website gave Adventureland an 89% (of which I think it does not deserve)

In fact, to go back on topic, I really hate movies like FD3 and Adventureland, that depict amusment parks as being unsafe. It really dumbs down people's views on the industry, causing the usual GP 'roller coasters aren't safe!'

I've had a few "what do you mean my child's too small?" one's

1 - Vampire at Chessington a few years ago - a dad tried to get on with his daughter about 2-3 trains before mine, and she was about 4 or 5 inches too short - dad was still arguing when I'd finished my ride almost 10 minutes later!

2 - DIsneyland paris - I think Big thunder mountain - read this online - Apparently they had the cheek to measure the boy when he'd joined the queue and then tell them he was too short.

3 - Great bear at Hershey park- on our recent trip, a dad got nasty with one of our group members for stopping his daughter from sneaking on the ride, after being told she was too small - he brought out the old "She's already ridden 3 times today!" one!

Scott pilgrim vs the world is an awesome movie. So that analogy doesn't work for me. I would say it's more like saying spice world was a good movie. (it wasn't)

Actually, that analogy should work to people who like it. At least in my case, I like Scott Pilgrim, and everyone I know who has seen it likes it. However, most people who haven't seen it will not watch it, not being able to grasp the fact that it is actually a good movie. Ejector airtime seems to work the same way to many Californians, as they do not know how awesome it is, and, therefore, assume it is not that great and giant loops are better.

In fact, if it weren't for Scott Pilgrim's high Rotten Tomatores score (that it deserves), I may have never watched the movie. However, this same website gave Adventureland an 89% (of which I think it does not deserve)

In fact, to go back on topic, I really hate movies like FD3 and Adventureland, that depict amusment parks as being unsafe. It really dumbs down people's views on the industry, causing the usual GP 'roller coasters aren't safe!'

I apologize I misunderstood what you meant. I don't really rely on reviews. They look for specific things and pick it apart. A movie is to escape reality. So is a theme park. You go there to have fun and not think of everything for a couple days.

I heard some already mentioned things at Hersheypark like, "The back is faster," while in line for the Wildcat.

And in line for Storm Runner, I heard someone say, "Kingda Ka is the third tallest coaster in the world and Top Thrill Dragster is the tallest."

I wonder what is second...