TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Weirdest Things The 'GP' Have Said

When photographing fellow TPR members getting their Sky Coaster credit in, a few of us at the sidelines were watching people yet again think they're cool/macho and stand up on the White Water Falls ride right behind the sky coaster. Wouldn't mind photographing their stupidity but I was busy snapping photos of fellow TPR members getting set up for their ride.

About the "Six Flags"thing, I am guilty of saying that but most people (GP) I talk to know what I'm talking about. Oddly enough, I do refer to SFMM as simply "Magic Mountain" as if it weren't Six Flags. If I'm around an enthusiast, I will simply refer to the park(s) by their proper name.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I consider saying "Six Flags" to be a nickname for the park in reference just like you'd call someone named James "Jim." While it is mildly amusing that many GP don't know there are other Six Flags parks, I don't think that labeling folks who say "let's go to Six Flags" is worthy of this thread.

I just remembered another one from my ride attendant days. I was at Scream at Six Flags New England when a father enters the ride with his very young son. I checked his height and he was way below the height limit. I apologized and informed him that his son was not tall enough, but his comeback was, "There is no height limit."

To be fair, he did reference that the map did not post the height limit of Scream (to my own dismay), but I told him that every ride has a height limit and he finished hating me by the time the ride ended. Just a simple misunderstanding.

Edit:

I guess in a sense then it's like refering to someone by just their first name...I could say "Hey remember Bob?" then someone can respond "Bob who?"

Good point

Edited by VinTheAttendant

Actually, I'll be talking to my cousin (Squirmy_Wormy on here) and she'll say "Remember that one time at Six Flags?" and my response is "Uh...which one...remember we've gone to 2 different Six Flags parks. Then she'll specify MM or DK. I guess in a sense then it's like refering to someone by just their first name...I could say "Hey remember Bob?" then someone can respond "Bob who?"

Standing under Mach Tower before the ride opens. Guests can clearly see the huge green walls blocking the entrance and a sign that says "Ride Testing in Progress". They were also given a slip of paper before they enter the park that says Mach Tower isn't open yet. On top of that, the map says "Opening Soon".

"Is this ride open yet?"

"Where's the entrance?"

There's clearly a pretzel shop in front of the gate with a huge fiberglass pretzel and beer sign.

"What do they sell here?"

"Where's the closest place to eat?"

A youtube comment on SFMM's go big cam-

Florida sucks,I live there,we have no coasters,you get 18 of them! In one park!

Yes we have Disney but SFMM Wins (coaster wise)

No coasters?

This isn't stupid. The poster clearly said sfmm WINS (coaster wise). He/she never said Disney has no coasters.

Also, regarding calling park 'Six Flags,' I don't think thats dumb or weird either. 99.9999% of the world refers to their own park as Six Flags. I personally call SFMM 'Six Flags,' because nobody in LA is going to assume that I'm talking about any park other than SFMM. If anything, once somebody realizes there is a SF park elsewhere, they just say 'oh! There's a Six Flags there too? Cool!'

A youtube comment on SFMM's go big cam-

Florida sucks,I live there,we have no coasters,you get 18 of them! In one park!

Yes we have Disney but SFMM Wins (coaster wise)

No coasters?

This isn't stupid. The poster clearly said sfmm WINS (coaster wise). He/she never said Disney has no coasters.

Also, regarding calling park 'Six Flags,' I don't think thats dumb or weird either. 99.9999% of the world refers to their own park as Six Flags. I personally call SFMM 'Six Flags,' because nobody in LA is going to assume that I'm talking about any park other than SFMM. If anything, once somebody realizes there is a SF park elsewhere, they just say 'oh! There's a Six Flags there too? Cool!'

Your right, they didn't they that, they said the FLORIDA had no coasters....

On my youtube channel, I have a POV of Splash Mountain at WDW. Like, the entire thing from beginning to end. Someone just asked in the comments: "How long is this ride"?

I wrote back "Well, let's see... (reading description, checking length of video)... looks like it's about 10 minutes."

They answered "HAHAHAHA. And are the drops big?"

Seriously. Why doesn't she just watch the damn video??? I don't get it? I haven't answered her yet. If anyone wants to go and reply first, feel free!

I agree with everything people have said about this. But it still makes me LOL inside when someone says, "I'm going to Six Flags?" "which one?" "There's more than one??!??:wtf: " I guess it's an honest mistake for non-enthusiasts, but it's just funny to me.

Also I've been calling SFDK "Six Flags" because the term "Marine World" is getting more and more lost, and I still kinda refuse to call it Discovery Kingdom. And I call SFMM, "Magic Mountain". I've known some people who didn't realize SFMM was a Six Flags.

^ All my cousins still stubbornly refer to SFDK as Marine World.

During our Q&A at SFDK, the guy there did mention that it will always be Marine World in many people's hearts (referring to those who grew up with Marine World).

It's kind of funny, my neighbor down the street refers to all of the parks he's been to in CA as "Great America." One time I heard him mention "Yea, we went to that Great America down in Southern CA to ride Goliath" when I had to say "Oh, you mean Magic Mountain?"

During our Q&A at SFDK, the guy there did mention that it will always be Marine World in many people's hearts (referring to those who grew up with Marine World).

It warmed my heart to hear that. I understand why they changed the name, but it will always be Marine World to me.

EDIT: I forgot which thread I was in and got off-topic. Moving this to the SFDK thread.

Edited by RAWKIN_coaster38

I took a visit to SFMM yesterday, and while on The Riddler's Revenge (shocker) the ride's computer suffered a minor delay.

As protocal, the ride ops walked out onto the brake run and told us that there would be a slight delay as the ride's computer resets.

[Me]: "How long until we are back in the station?"

[Op]: "Not long, this ride's old computer just needs to reset. It could be worse. You could be the ones stuck in the station."

[Me]: "How old is this ride?"

[Op]: "They built it in like the 70's."

[Me]: "And why would it be worse to be stuck in the station?"

[Op]: "You'd have to listen to the music."

[Me]: "They had techno music in the 70's?"

It warmed my heart to hear that. I understand why they changed the name, but it will always be Marine World to me.

Does anyone still have original merchandise/maps/brochures with the Marine World/Marine World Africa USA logo on it? I'd be interested to see pictures of some of the things you all have.

A few of the things I have(Marine World Africa USA): a pennant, a sweatshirt, several brochures and maps, a deck of cards with the old whales on it, some post cards with various animals, and a plate with illustrations of different animals incl. a whale and a dolphin. The plate is the most awesome thing out of them all and totally a mistake. I believe my grandma bought it for me at a local yard sale because she knew I liked things with whales on them, but no one realized that it said "Marine World Africa USA" on it until I saw it and told her. I was like then Best yard-sale gift EVER!!!!

If you want I can try to gather these things and take a picture of them.

I have an old Marine World wallet (probably from when it was in Redwood City) has an image of people water skiing on it. My cousin (one of the lucky winners during the raffle) has a mug with both SFDK logo and MWA USA logo...a nice little throwback. I have a handful of SFMW maps from back from 1999-2006...need to dig them up.

[Me]: "How old is this ride?"

[Op]: "They built it in like the 70's."

Wow, even the ops don't know about their own ride they're working!

I actually found a trick to the GP:

You tell a GP that you are a "roller coaster nerd".Then, they will start asking you questions, and when you answer it, they don't deny it. It works all the time.

And then they go post in a thread titled "The dumbest things that coaster nerds have said"

One of the weirdest things I remember hearing a "GP" say was on Kong at SFDK. Whoever I was with that day didn't want to ride Kong with me so I got put with some random stranger who didn't have someone to go with. As we're going up the lift hill, I heard the guy mutter, "Swarzkopf" to himself. I was so shocked to hear it from some random person because I'm so used to the usual GP-isms. After the ride, the guy went off somewhere else and I never asked him if he was an enthusiast and/or why he said "Swarzkopf".

Edited by RAWKIN_coaster38