TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lost Island Waterpark planning Theme Park

• 1 month later...

Whoops...

https://www.kwwl.com/news/waterloo/breaking-fire-at-lost-island-theme-park/article_bf086ee4-a0e2-11ec-a3cc-5b1bb21af10c.html

Apparently one of the under-construction queue buildings burned down last night. Luckily it didn't spread, and it sounds like they only real damage is the destruction of the log flume's controls. They said it wouldn't impact their plans for a soft opening in may or june.

The only truly worrying thing is they also basically said "We are grateful to the people that called the fire department...because we didn't have anyone one working there to call..." Hmmm....

16 minutes ago, swfan1988 said:

The only truly worrying thing is they also basically said "We are grateful to the people that called the fire department...because we didn't have anyone one working there to call..." Hmmm....

Season 7 Oops GIF by Workaholics

• Haha 1

He also said the soft opening in early summer is still on. It appears the fire took place at night, so that's why no one was around. The real question is why where space heaters being used out there? Probably trying to keep something warm enough to set correctly, but thats still pretty dumb to leave them out there turned on. This always happens when space heaters are left turned on and unattended. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/9/2022 at 7:48 AM, grsupercity said:

image.png.a07f6f87c532adbd0212036323911526.pngThis pic was on their website. Gotta love when parks upgrade to the new trains! I am going to assume its going to be the usual 10 cars and not just the 4 shown

Pic of the new trains below. One was in the station and this one was parked at the brake run.

vekoma.jpg

It's looking good, but they are definitely behind schedule and there is so much landscaping work to be done among other things. At least they finally poured a few pathways. I don't think the June 3rd date is achievable, but crazier things have happened, especially if they are OK with getting everything but the final landscaping done before opening and just continuing to work on that afterwards.

1 hour ago, boldikus said:

Jeez, certainly no shortage of trees at this park.

That's just how development companies operate now.  Raze the entire property, build your crap, then plant some trees that will grow over the next fifty years into something resembling shade.

House hunting in new neighborhoods sucks because of this.  You want shade?  Build yourself a gazebo, pergola, or buy a bunch of (extremely expensive) semi-mature fauna and plant it yourself.

^True, but wasn't this an empty corn field before this? They should have been planting trees long before now, but it's not like they had anything to start with. Like I said earlier, I have a feeling landscaping is going to be a work in progress for awhile. 

• Like 1

Hey now, give'em a break... they are probably just now learning what it means to own an SLC and an Intamin launch coaster...they got bigger problems to worry about...

Besides, it's an island theme, it's not like they promised a "Wildwood Grove" or anything...

• Haha 2

Holy Toledo this looks awesome! Seeing everything up close and realizing that it is actually happening is awesome! The themeing in the Mura fire section looks absolutely incredible! Plus that Yuta section looks amazing, especially the rockwork going on around the super flume! I think a July 4th opening is a lot more achievable than a June 3rd. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the first season will probably be... rocky. Probably about on par with Six Flags Magic Mountain with the common complaints being a lack of shade and a lack of marquee attractions. However, for a brand-new park opening up, their lineup of flagship attractions is impressive: a massive dark ride, a massive super flume, an Intamin Accelerator, a Vekoma SLC, an S&S Space Shot, and a splash battle! This is awesome! I think the park will find massive success once it builds its river rapids rides as well as those two other planned coasters. 

• Like 2

I almost think they're going to have a bigger problem with labor for the first season than finishing the park. Not only do they have to staff the waterpark but now this as well. Eric Bertch (from the family that is building it) said they basically have all of the 14 and 15 year old eligible positions filled but the 16 and over positions have a ton of openings. With that in mind they aren't going to pre-sell season passes or multi-day tickets for the first season. 

Optimistically they might make mid-June but the log flume and the launch coaster are lagging somewhat. They just got the launch hydaulics in and it's not totally installed yet. The Carousel isn't on site yet and I don't think the Zulawa Wave "Music Express" ride was either, if they're still installing that one in this phase.

There's some great attention to detail in the theming for the various realms but it's got a long way to go.

This park is deceiving in looks. When you first walk through the gates it doesn't look likie much but as you traverse the park pathways there's so much more. 

We didn't see anything other than the loading area for the dark side but based on the descriptions it's going to be very good as it has all of the latest bells and whistles that Sally has to offer. 

• 1 month later...

Several of us got to participate in a photo/video shoot for Sally Dark Rides on Wednesday. And we got lots of rides in the process. Sworn to not reveal details on the 4D Volcanu-Quest for the Golden Idol but I'll say this....It's the best dark ride I've ridden. Very immersive and people are going to love it. 
Things are still running a bit behind in the park but they're making good progresson construction and detail stuff.  . Like everywhere, staffing is an issue too. They still have June 10 on the calendar for opening but that could certainly get pushed. 

• Like 2

The park has posted two opening updates on Facebook.

First, they announced a few days ago that Matugani (former Kanonen) will not be ready to open with the park.

Second, they announced they will be delaying the theme park's opening until 6/18 due to construction delays.

13 hours ago, Canobie Coaster said:

First, they announced a few days ago that Matugani (former Kanonen) will not be ready to open with the park.

Well that's a coincidence, because I'm not ready to visit without it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody planning on going to the park soon? I think my boyfriend and I are gonna head here in mid-July in hopes to catch Matugani. Plus for when more landscaping is in place and such. The company in charge of floral design mentioned that only about half of the landscaping is in and that more should be planted within two weeks. 

• 4 weeks later...

Went to Lost Island last week for the first time! We absolutely adored the park! The park exceeded our expectations (waiting for a quip like "how high were your expectations?"). We spent about three hours at the park and the only reason we left was because we wanted to get to Adventureland early enough to marathon Monster. But anyways, we loved Volkanu and Amara Aviators. We really wanted to ride Rokava and Mura Fury, but they were closed for the day for technical issues. That being said, that's just one more reason to go back later this summer to visit. Nopuko was definitely not the worst SLC I've ridden. It was actually pretty smooth and fun aside from the two jolts at the top of the rollover; the trick is to ride further back in the train. We did notice that it seemed to run insanely fast for an SLC. Another quick note: we noticed something odd about Matugani. We noticed that there was strips of paint missing along the track where the wheels run. I think it is quite possible the coaster may have started testing, so it'll probably be open by August. 

Some quick thoughts about the park overall:

Aside from the parking and admission prices, everything was priced very fairly. Food was cheap and good for a theme park, even the alcohol prices were not incredibly high.

I love the original themes. I am in love with the Tamariki mascot. 

Everything looks stellar in the park. The architectural styles throughout the park are gorgeous and everything looks great put together. I especially love the look of the buildings in Udara and Yuta realms.

The layout of the park is amazing and I loved the placement of the rides. I love all the lookouts at the water, including the area in Awa that includes the bar and a couple snack places. There is a nice seating area that overlooks the water with cool lighting and some areas for the kids to play while the adults rest. Plus I love how the rides are laid out in the Udara realm; the atmosphere will be electric when all the rides are running at once in that area.

The landscaping will be gorgeous once it has a chance to fill out. Each realm had at least a dozen trees planted, and they will definitely add to the atmosphere here in a couple seasons, especially in the Yuta realm. However, the paths are pretty unshaded by the trees at this point in time. But that's not a huge surprise since it is a brand-new park. But a nice, added touch is that they made sure to include some slight elevation changes throughout the park so that it isn't completely on a flat field. There's also a couple of areas where they put little streams that run near a path. Overall, the landscaping looks great and I'm excited to see it grow.

Overall, the park is off to a decent start. I know the low attendance is a bit discouraging now, but I think it is for the better that the attendance is kinda low for this season, only because it is giving them a chance to work out the kinks in the operation of the park before massive crowds come. I think people would be a lot more disappointed if they came out to the park in droves this year as opposed to next season. Especially with Yuta Falls opening next year since it will be the main water ride of the theme park. I think people will be really impressed next season when more of the landscaping has started growing in a bit more and when every single attraction is open. But as the park is now, I was perfectly satisfied and I'm excited for everybody to go out and try it!

Lost Island Pic.jpg

Lost Island Pic 2.jpg

Lost Island Pic 3.jpg

• Like 1

I hope the park has the bankroll to survive their godawful opening strategy, truly I do, but I'm in Des Moines and have no interest in visiting until Mutagani (at least) is open.  I can't imagine anyone is looking to travel to this place as it is now the most remote, inaccessible park in the country.  They took the crown from Lagoon.

• Like 2