TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR 2018 Coaster Poll Results!

Top 10 Vekoma coasters

Do SLC's, we need to settle which SLC is the best.

Fly the Great Nor'Easter. Is this even a question?

I haven't ridden that one, but my personal favorite of the SLCs is Kumali at Flamingo Land. Then again, I haven't been there since 2006.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top 10 Vekoma coasters

Do SLC's, we need to settle which SLC is the best.

Fly the Great Nor'Easter. Is this even a question?

It's not smooth by any means but I do enjoy Odyssey at Fantasy Island just for its first drop. The drop doesn't look like anything special from any angle but for reasons I don't know, whether it's the twist or the angle, it almost looks like a vertical drop as you start to go down. Although my ride was probably 10 years ago now so who knows how well it has aged.

Hard for me to argue with #1 Steel Vengeance, that ride is packed with thrills and is relentless. Thanks to everyone who took the time to put this together! And AJ for breaking them down by the manufacturers. It's fun to see how enthusiasts from this site rank coasters. ***WARNING: This is not the Golden Ticket awards.*** A little surprised how Renegade stayed in the Top 25 Woodies with Prowler dropping out of the Top 25.

More results!

Top 10 Great Coasters International Coasters

1. Mystic Timbers - Kings Island

2. Jungle Dragon - Happy Valley Chongqing

3. Gold Striker - California's Great America

4. Troy - Toverland

5. Python in Bamboo Forest - Nanchang Wanda Park

6. Wood Coaster - Knight Valley

7. Renegade - Valleyfair

*. GhostRider - Knott's Berry Farm

8. Wodan Timbur Coaster - Europa Park

9. Thunderbird - PowerLand

10. Kentucky Rumbler - Beech Bend

Top 10 Custom Coasters International / Gravity Group / Gravitykraft / Martin & Vleminckx Coasters

1. Jungle Trailblazer - Oriental Heritage Wuhu

2. Jungle Trailblazer - Fantawild Dreamland Zhengzhou

3. Boulder Dash - Lake Compounce

4. Ravine Flyer II - Waldameer Water World

5. Voyage - Holiday World & Splashin' Safari

6. Dauling Dragon - Happy Valley Wuhan

7. Mine Blower - Fun Spot Kissimmee

8. Wooden Coaster Fireball - Happy Valley Shanghai

9. Fjord Flying Dragon - Happy Valley Tianjin

10. Jungle Trailblazer - Oriental Heritage Jinan

Top 10 Schwarzkopf Coasters (incl. Zierer / BHS collaborations)

1. Bullet - Selva Magica

2. Mindbender - Galaxyland

3. Golden Loop - Gold Reef City (best Shuttle Loop)

4. Olympia Looping - traveling

5. Shock Wave - Six Flags Over Texas

6. Mind Bender - Six Flags Over Georgia

7. Quimera - La Feria Chapultepec Magico

8. Lisebergbanan - Liseberg

9. Teststrecke - traveling

10. Jetline - Grona Lund

Top 10 Historic Coasters (1968 season or older)

1. Phoenix - Knoebels (1948)

2. Coaster - Playland (at the PNE) (1958)

3. Comet - Great Escape (1948)

4. Rutschebanen - Tivoli Gardens (1914)

5. Classic Coaster - Washington State Fair (1950)

6. Jack Rabbit - Kennywood (1920)

7. Thunderbolt - Kennywood (1968)

8. Giant Dipper - Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (1924)

9. Grand National - Blackpool Pleasure Beach - (1939)

10. Cyclone - Luna Park (1927)

Top 10 Classic Coasters (1988 season or older)

1. Phoenix - Knoebels (1948)

2. Bullet - Selva Magica (1982)

3. Mindbender - Galaxyland (1985)

4. Coaster - Playland (at the PNE) (1958)

5. Golden Loop - Gold Reef City (1977)

6. Comet - Great Escape (1948)

7. Shock Wave - Six Flags Over Texas (1978)

8. Mind Bender - Six Flags Over Georgia (1978)

9. Beast - Kings Island (1979)

10. Quimera - La Feria Chapultepec Magico (1984)

Top 10 New Coasters (2014 season or newer)

1. Steel Vengeance - Cedar Point (2018)

2. Lightning Rod - Dollywood (2016)

3. Wildfire - Kolmarden (2016)

4. Twisted Timbers - Kings Dominion (2018)

5. Medusa Steel Coaster - Six Flags Mexico (2014)

6. Soaring With Dragon - Hefei Wanda Theme Park (2016)

7. Fury 325 - Carowinds (2015)

8. DC Rivals Hypercoaster - Warner Bros. Movie World (2017)

9. Helix - Liseberg (2014)

10. Twisted Colossus - Six Flags Magic Mountain (2015)

Edited by A.J.

I'm wondering if the dominance of the Chinese GG/CCI/etc coasters is due to the US rides becoming unrideable so quickly, more being built in China, the 'far away vote high' syndrome, or a combination of all of this!

I'm wondering if the dominance of the Chinese GG/CCI/etc coasters is due to the US rides becoming unrideable so quickly, more being built in China, the 'far away vote high' syndrome, or a combination of all of this!

While I agree far away syndrome is a thing, I think it's more that China has been installing more of the newer GCIs than the US and they have much better pacing. Two of GCI's biggest and newest coasters in the US placed highly in Mystic Timbers and Gold Striker.

Shockwave at Six Flags over Texas beat Mindbender at Six Flags over Georgia?

Explain yourselves

Guilty as charged. Shockwave had some crazy airtime in the back row and felt even more forceful than Mindbender. The latter has the better setting though.

Could be. I rather liked Wood Coaster at Knight Valley for its setting, and the ride itself seemed better than your average GCI.

Explain yourselves

Guilty as charged. Shockwave had some crazy airtime in the back row and felt even more forceful than Mindbender. The latter has the better setting though.

Same. Even though I haven't been to SFOT in a long time I still remember that crazy airtime. They're both great, though!

Shock Wave and Mind Bender are literally three places away from each other on the combined poll. The preference is there, for sure, but don't be surprised if they switch places every few years.

I'm shocked Thunderhead isn't in the Top 10 GCIs and that no one has mentioned it. What a fantastic woodie, even if it is overshadowed by the RMC across the park!

Mine Blower and Voyage are also rather low... Mine Blower is just all around f**king insane and challenges your equilibrium which is why I love it, and Voyage never ends with phenomenal airtime and just doesn't seem to do anything wrong.

Mine Blower and Voyage are also rather low... Mine Blower is just all around f**king insane and challenges your equilibrium which is why I love it, and Voyage never ends with phenomenal airtime and just doesn't seem to do anything wrong.

A lot of people seem to think these coasters are just a little too rough.

I am one of those people. But I do love both coasters. (I just can’t see Mine Blower holding up well over time...)

Explain yourselves

Having ridden them both in the last few months, I have to agree. Mindbender is my favorite Schwarzkopf I've ridden so far.

I rode Golden Loop in the early 80s when it was White Lightnin' at Carowinds. I don't remember it being that special, but that was 35+ years ago.

A lot of people seem to think these coasters are just a little too rough.

I am one of those people. But I do love both coasters. (I just can’t see Mine Blower holding up well over time...)

I was pleasantly surprised by Mine Blower, but I'm not a fan of Voyage (now there's a ride that cries out for the RMC treatment).

but I'm not a fan of Voyage (now there's a ride that cries out for the RMC treatment).

Oh my. How dare you!

I got 10 laps on Voyage over the weekend after having not ridden it in 11 years. And it was simply incredible. It goes straight back up into my top 10, and it's my #1 wooden coaster now. The double downs, the tunnels, the length, the setting, the out of control feeling without being rough. The front is fun, but the back of the train is where it's at.

^ I rode The Voyage at last year's Holiwood Nights and it was amazing! They ran it without the trim brakes and there was crazy airtime on it in the dark. Riding The Voyage at night is something else and it's now my #3 woodie, just behind Phoenix (#1) and El Toro (#2). I didn't find The Voyage rough (The Raven maybe a bit) but it definitely runs aggressive and those last turns at the end may be a bit too much for some.

My experience with Voyage is that it can be great early in the season, but a medieval torture device later. Just not my thing.

I prefer Raven and Legend.

I'm not a fan of Voyage (now there's a ride that cries out for the RMC treatment).

OMG yes! I would love more than anything for RMC to come in and do their work on Voyage! I've probably had at least 10 trips out to Holiday World since Voyage opened, both early in the season and late in the season, including being there being there the week it opened and never once have I had what I would consider a "good" ride on Voyage. I'm sorry, but that ride beats the crap out of you. I don't understand the people who say it is "amazing" because they must just be purely numb in their entire body, and I even have a fairly high tolerance to rough rides, but Voyage is on a different level, not far away from Hades 360 for me. In fact, on my poll, I ranked Voyage just above my "bottom 10" worst roller coasters.

Raven still ranks in my "top tier" roller coasters, though. Love that ride!