TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR 2018 Coaster Poll Results!

I’m really interested to see what I think of Hyperion this summer. I was surprised to see it didn’t rank higher. Then again, I much prefer the giant Intamin coasters (Skyrush, I305, etc) to most RMC’s.

I also feel bad for the poor Orca Ride!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So awesome to see these results! Lots of surprises to me (poor Orca Ride haha) but interesting to see all the new 2018 coasters there.

Out of curiosity, will we see Alvey Top 10s on this thread at all?

Can we all just take a moment to marvel at the absurdity of the fact that the coaster formerly known as Mean Streak is the #1 roller coaster on the planet? I mean...

Can we all just take a moment to marvel at the absurdity of the fact that the coaster formerly known as Mean Streak is the #1 roller coaster on the planet? I mean...

Not only that, but Steel Vengeance got a preference rating of (ALMOST!!!) 100 percent. That means that of everyone who filled out a ballot with Steel Vengeance on it, there were only a single-digit number of people that DIDN'T put it as their #1.

So... can we talk about Coaster Express @ Parque Warner Madrid? I've never heard of it until today but I am exploring the "worst" lists.

I know a few people here have to have ridden it. It does nothing but turn. Down the drop and it just turns and turns and turns and then it turns some more. And then some more. I'd kill to hear Robbs commentary while riding it ("And we are turning!!!.... and we are turning some more!!!! Ahhhhh!!")

RCDB says Intamin had something to do with it (construction?) and it even looks like it has the newer generation Intamin woodie trains. Just how awful is it? I'm totally intrigued.

Edited by boldikus

I have to admit that it was really great to be able to ride the top two steel coasters in the world with TPR many, many, many times last August at Cedar Point. I think I had 13 rides on Steel Vengeance and at least 7-8 on Maverick (it should have been more but I am getting old) during those ERT sessions. WOOT!!! Great poll, thanks for all the hard work.

71DC2D2A-3483-4A34-AFAD-7691994D22F0.thumb.jpeg.d2e2c6d76f0b4534cc2cd45099c93825.jpeg

I love this ride!

Wow I completely missed the fact that the top two steel coasters are literally a one minute walk from each other.

Yes, more on that later.

That means that of everyone who filled out a ballot with Steel Vengeance on it, there were only a single-digit number of people that DIDN'T put it as their #1.

Sorry to screw up the even sweep but... you know... there was this blue thing across the park.

That means that of everyone who filled out a ballot with Steel Vengeance on it, there were only a single-digit number of people that DIDN'T put it as their #1.

Sorry to screw up the even sweep but... you know... there was this blue thing across the park.

Corkscrew?

But remember, if you rode 200 coasters this year, and ranked Steel Vengeance #3, it still was preferred over 197 other coasters. Multiply that by however many people took the poll, and the preference percentage winds up at 99.999999... percent, which in our system rounds up to 100.

Steel Vengeance was in my #1 category. It's seriously that good. Echoing Erik's note, I'm thankful for being a part of not one but TWO Steel Vengeance ERT sessions that allowed me to ride in every row multiple times. It has it all. I liked the front seat the best and the wave turn over the brake run and the dive into the structure right before is my favorite part of the ride.

Well done CP and RMC you earned it!

Also thanks to the team who put in the hard work on this project!

Great list! Happy to have ridden 19/25 of the overall best coasters!

One thing I'm confused by - Why is it that on the "Top 25 Overall" Wildfire places ahead Outlaw Run and I305 places ahead of GeForce, but when separated into "Top 25 Steel/Wood" these places become switched? Is there something different about the ranking algorithm that changes between Overall and Wood/Steel separated?

Love the list and agreed with everyone that's said that the newer coasters seem to rank higher. I can completely see how this is possible, however, especially with the RMCs. Sometimes I can have a great ride on one and then think, "Wait, is this the best RMC?". Storm Chaser is a good example, as I haven't been on it since 2017, and while I remember the airtime being violent and super intense, I can't remember much else to try and compare it to something like Twisted Timbers, which I know is also insane and has crazy abrupt airtime. I honestly took like a month to submit my ballot, working on it a few minutes at a time when it would come to mind, as I don't normally spend a whole lot of time thinking about ranking/comparing coasters. Trying to compare some of these, like "is Maverick better than an upper-middle-tier RMC?", or "is Lightning Rod better than El Toro?", made my head feel like it was going to explode, and in the end I had a lot of same-place rankings in my top 20.

The only RMC I was genuinely surprised to NOT see on the "top 25 steel" list was Wicked Cyclone. I personally find it to be miles better than Twisted Colossus, Twisted Cyclone, etc. But that's just my opinion.

And same to people who were surprised to see Twisted Timbers so high. I ranked it in my top ten, but having had walk-ons for it and i305 all day this past weekend, i305 still totally destroys it.

Also, let's not kid ourselves, Expedition GeForce is still the best coaster in the world

So... can we talk about Coaster Express @ Parque Warner Madrid? I've never heard of it until today but I am exploring the "worst" lists.

I know a few people here have to have ridden it. It does nothing but turn. Down the drop and it just turns and turns and turns and then it turns some more. And then some more. I'd kill to hear Robbs commentary while riding it ("And we are turning!!!.... and we are turning some more!!!! Ahhhhh!!")

RCDB says Intamin had something to do with it (construction?) and it even looks like it has the newer generation Intamin woodie trains. Just how awful is it? I'm totally intrigued.

Intamin for the trains, but unfortunately RCCA for the construction... I haven't ridden it, but thats probably all you need to know as to how its awful

Also see Magnus Collosus.

And then there's Bandit at Movie Park Germany, also done by RCCA, and runs those infamous albeit badass-looking (IMO) Premier trains a la Son of Beast...

Corkscrew?

I’m thinking he means something he couldn’t rank anyway, the Skyride.

Glad to see Mystic Timbers and Storm Chaser make it in the top 20’s (especially the latter being ahead of several of the RMCs). I rode both in 2018 and they were fantastic.

Count me in as surprised by Twisted Timber’s placement. I’m also surprised by Soaring with Dragon, as I never thought much of it and didn't think many people had been out that way to ride it.