TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Extinct theme park ride types

^ I rode the one in Thorpe Park back in 2006. And vowed NEVER to EVER ride one of

those things again. Sorry for others who love it. But for me, a "one and done" definitely.

And Molasses ran way faster than this thing, either going up/down vertical and/or "spinning" (ha).

I miss the original Mad Mouse metal layouts. It was great with more dips than the current ones, do.

I also miss the original Caterpillar ride. That was exceptionally scary, for it's speed, and usually located

right beside the Mad Mouse, when the PNE was running, back then. With a neat green and yellow striped

(lengthwise) cover that would suddenly engulf the ride, to screams and laughs. Fun ride.

There's a Caterpillar with working cover at Canobie Lake Park and yeah it is just so much fun. It really is fast and there's just something almost magical about the cover coming over, it's such a simple trick but so effective.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember riding a Caterpillar (or something resembling one) a few years ago at either Miracle Strip in Panama City or Broadway at the Beach in Myrtle Beach. Each of those attractions had like 3 rides set up from the former parks, so I get them confused in my memory.

There was a really lush-looking caterpillar ride in Mirabilandia park, which had what looked like a red velvety like cover for it. Unfortunately, I didn't get to ride it, but it sure looked lovely, compared to the mechanical old-style versions I'd seen, long ago.

EDIT: I looked into finding images, and it looks like this wasn't a real Caterpillar like original ones, but rather a Music Express that had a red cover going over it. Not exactly the same, but it still looked great, when I saw it running (TPR 2010 Euorpe Tour).

Im pretty sure none of these exist anymore:

I got to ride the one at Hershey before they removed it, needless to say I don't remember much about it cause I was only 10 at the time. Another rare ride is the Von Roll Gyro Tower, as far as I know the only one that still exists is the one at La Ronde:

dscn8040.jpg

^ Wow, forgot about that tower ride! We had one at Playland years and years ago, near the front of the park.

A double decker, just like this one. Great views of the mountains and downtown, and over to the islands.

GyroTower.thumb.jpg.a93eca558f6f719727a6a610251c7e21.jpg

Pardon that the photo is so big. I couldn't reduce it. From the Vancouver Archives/PNE.

Edited by Nrthwnd

^ Wow, forgot about that tower ride! We had one at Playland years and years ago, near the front of the park.

A double decker, just like this one. Great views of the mountains and downtown, and over to the islands.

Yea I got to ride Space Spiral before they took it out for Gatekeeper. It was a fun ride but Gatekeeper is better and Id rather they keep the Skyride going (another rare attraction) Another rare La Ronde ride was La Cobra an Intamin standup coaster. They took it out in 2017 and needless to say Im glad that POS is gone. Its between that and Shockwave at KD for my worst coaster ever award.

larondetge07118_207.jpg

Rest in Pieces La Cobra pretty sure no one will miss you

I remember riding a Caterpillar (or something resembling one) a few years ago at either Miracle Strip in Panama City or Broadway at the Beach in Myrtle Beach. Each of those attractions had like 3 rides set up from the former parks, so I get them confused in my memory.

There was definitely one at the Pavilion in Myrtle Beach (which is what it was called in the early-90s). I distinctly remember riding it with my cousin.

I miss the flat rides in the elaborately themed boxes that were at Miracle Strip in Panama City Beach. There was one that the entrance was a huge Devil's Head and another that was an Abominable Snowman.

Super cheesy, but fun.

those Sky towers are still around.

we rode one at Carowinds last year, and doesn't Knott's Berry Farm still have theirs?

Carowinds has an Intamin single-level gyro tower.

The Seaworld San Diego one comes to mind for me. Don't all the Seaworld parks have one?

I just remembered the coaster at Six Flags Great America called "The Whizzer", a bobsled type coaster that involved an electric spiral lift hill and made by Schwarzkopf. It may not have been the tallest or fastest, but it was the most fun-filled ride. Busch Gardens used to have one like it called "Glissade" until they took it out in 1985.

If only we can have a ride company to bring a newfangled version on this coaster back . . .

I just remembered the coaster at Six Flags Great America called "The Whizzer", a bobsled type coaster that involved an electric spiral lift hill and made by Schwarzkopf. It may not have been the tallest or fastest, but it was the most fun-filled ride. Busch Gardens used to have one like it called "Glissade" until they took it out in 1985.

If only we can have a ride company to bring a newfangled version on this coaster back . . .

Whizzer is still alive and kickin' at SFGAm.... Great ride for kids/mild thrill seekers!

The bobsled coaster you are thinking of there was Rolling Thunder and that was pulled out in the mid-90s.

Double Ferris wheels-These are not extinct, just very rare and difficult to find.

Fly-o-Plane-Lake Winnie had one for a few years but they removed it about a year ago. With that being said I really did not care much for it. Most of the planes you could not roll completely the couple that could roll a lot you had to be at the front of the line to get as everyone would want them. The ones that did not roll completely were very uncomfortable as you would be on your side and your head would be against the door. Yes it was padded but not much.

Double Ferris wheels-These are not extinct, just very rare and difficult to find.

Really? According to Wikipedia they're all defunct. Not talking about the Skywheel type, but the tilting type as pictured above.

I think they are gone from theme parks now, but the Zierer Hexentanz flat ride was a lot of fun... used to be and Knotts Berry Farm and Mall of America... probably still in traveling mode though

I guess I'll add Bailey Auto Sleds. They were a weird coaster type where you rode in a sled almost like a mountain coaster (except the speed isn't controlled by the rider).

I had the last remaining one on my radar next weekend at Wild Water and Wheels, but I saw a Facebook post that Pipeline Express closed. I cannot find an official news story, but the coaster has been removed from the park's website.

RCDB Page

It seems like rotors are disappearing. I haven't seen a permanent one for quite some time, but I do see the Gravatron's at fairs still

As far as I know, there are only three Rotor rides (permanent or mobile) left in the States. A Chance portable model at Sylvan Beach, a permanent Chance model called the Tumbleweed at Frontier City, and the rare SDC model called Turkish Twist at Canobie Lake.

Overseas though it's a different story as it seems there are several traveling Rotor rides on the fair circuit, including a new SBF/Visa model called Gravity with translucent barrel walls, and the classic Pluschies Rotor that tours the German Fun Fairs. This Rotor features a walk-through fun house as the queue, and the main ride structure is surrounded by a three-tiered viewing area just like the good old days. I think I mentioned this before, but there are some really crazy pictures of old Rotor rides from the 50's where the entire viewing area is packed with people watching the brave riders. And back then, you had to pay the same amount to watch as you did to ride, so I assume the ROI was pretty good for a Rotor ride!

That's one thing I never liked about Gravitrons. The ride was not designed for spectators. Heck, first time I saw one I had no idea what went on in there!

Fantasy Island has one called Devil's Hole.

What about Calypsos and Octopuses? Waldameer had an Octopus but it was in pieces last time I was there. Cedar Point has a Cakypso, it used to be my favorite ride at Darien Lake.