TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Revolution at SFMM

I just had a question about something I noticed, at the top of every hill (nearly) on that ride there are spinning tires, what are these for? Also, I noticed there are trim brakes at the top of the hill before the loop and the section of track just before it goes through the loop after the tunnel and these are on straight piece of track on the sides. But, at the top of the other hills in the middle of the track there are other long things (all the other hill tops have a curve in them, up/down, sideways, etc) are these also brakes? And if so, how do they work? The trim brakes and station brakes grab the brake swords on the sides, but if these things in the middle of the track (these are all curved) are brakes like block brakes, do they grab the train from underneath? What the heck are they?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh that RCDB photo is an oldie! It shows the ride pre double restraints. There used to only be a lap bar, Now after lawyers came in and sued for something its now a Lap bar and OTS Restraint! The ride is horrible now. The worst probably at magic mountain, along with psyclone, only causes pain, 0 fun. How can you have fun while your ears are bashing into the Over the shoulder restraints for a ride that goes maybe 40 miles an hour with one invert? I just dont get it!

It is a shame because revolution is a historic coaster, the worlds first true invert and built by a roller coaster designer legend. So sad they would ruin such a classic.

Revolution gave me some great rides, despite the OTSRs and trims.

Those hilltop things are definately anti-rollback racks, and yes, aside from the added trims which are only really the ones before the loop pass-through (the earlier pre-loop brakes have always been there, they just didn't used to be fully applied) it has always crawled over the hills. Well, footage from 1977 shows so. It does crawl slightly slower over now though due to the way they trickle the trains off the lift. That's become an SFMM trademark!

I personally really love Psyclone, but this is a Revolution topic so I'll save my Psyclone essay for another time.

The ride is horrible now. The worst probably at magic mountain, along with psyclone, only causes pain, 0 fun. How can you have fun while your ears are bashing into the Over the shoulder restraints for a ride that goes maybe 40 miles an hour with one invert?

Reolution is definitely NOT comparable to Psyclone. Despite the fact that it must have been alot better back in the day I still think it's a great coaster. I experienced NO headbanging in the 5 times I've been on it, and it's alot more exciting than it currently looks in the pics/POVs. It's still one of my favorites in the park because I think it's really fun. Others may have varying opinions, but I dont think many people think it is even close to Psyclone in pain level or in general.

Well, footage from 1977 shows so

Is this footage available online? If so, could you please post the link?

Well, footage from 1977 shows so

Is this footage available online? If so, could you please post the link?

Nope, it's in the film "Rollercoaster", availible from many places very cheaply (cost me about £5 here in the UK from Amazon). It might be opening year footage (1976) actually, as the film was released in 1977.

I have my own onride Revolution video online actually, go to my site for it. Try to find the error in the title image of the video, you'll have to look hard to see it.

I should have stopped while I was ahead. My first Revolution ride was perfectly smooth - very fun and enjoyable. I walked around to ride it again, but this time, I sat in the other end of the train. Big mistake! I got the beat down of a lifetime.

Such a shame too cuz I'm a huge Schwarzkopf freak; and would obviously have loved Revolution had the ride not turned psycho.

-kip-

I feel so sorry for you young 'uns who didn't get to ride Revolution as it was originally designed. Many, many times I rode it in 1976 and it was my favorite coaster for a long, long time. Even as late as 1989 before it got the weird seats (for those of you who remember those), it was still quite a kick to ride.

Even with its modifications, Revolution still has a great layout. Its approach to the loop is the best, in my opinion, and I like how the loop isn't the first part of the ride. You actually build up to it with a couple of good drops and curves.

It'll never happen, but it would be nice if somehow, some way, there could be a way to remove the OTSRs and restore a wonderful ride to its former glory.

Eric

i guess im really fortunate that i never get head banging on a rollercoaster, ever. (and i've ridden Manhattan express) i don't even think about not hitting the OTSRs i just never do. so, to me, revolution is a wonderful ride, you are surrrounded by trees the entire ride, and that entrance to the loop is awsome. i would put it as one of the 'funner' coasters at the mountain. also, if your not paying attention to them, you wont notice the trims (i didnt) the only one you notice is before the loop, and i kinda like how you slow down at the top then start to crawl over the EXTREMELY gradual slope to the loop.

oh and, dont reach for the trees, if they look really close, thats because THEY ARE. leave it to my friend to reach out of the car to grab a PINE TREE on a rollercoaster. well, he learned HIS lesson

i guess im really fortunate that i never get head banging on a rollercoaster, ever. (and i've ridden Manhattan express)

Dude, Manhattan Express is the worst coaster I've ever been on, hands down. There is no way you could not have gotten bumped around on this ride, especially right after going through those stupid loops. I mean, even the lift hill stunk. I can't believe I paid 12 bucks to ride that thing! RRR!