TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Twister... Phoenix???

This is just a question about knoebel's woodies... Phoenix is THE airtime machine right?...Is it as much airtime as colosssus at heide park???... i guess not... but don't you have different restraints so that you fly out of your seat?...

now on to twister...

is twister a good woodie (weird question )? What about laterals? Airtime?

Last question: When is the best time of the week to go to knoebel's and how long are wait times those days? on the weekend?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Phoenix has a different kind of airtime than Colossos. Phoenix, in the front seat, ejects you out of your seat at least 8 times during the ride! I actually would probably give the edge to Phoenix as the better ride.

I'm not a big fan of Twister. It's a lot of laterals but not much else in my opinion.

Anytime is a good time to go to Knoebels! They have amazing operations and you'll never wait more than 15 minutes for anything!

"Never wait 15 minutes for anything?" Actually, that wasn't the case with the Whirlwind coaster when it first opened! The lines were an hour long! :shock: And that was when it didn't have any glitches...

Knoebels has grown over time since I worked there from 1988-1994. Their busiest time starts from July 4th holiday until right before the last week of August. The peak is usually towards the end of July where several large local companies hold their family picnics. If you want to go on a weekend, the best weekend would be Memorial Day weekend. You can get a good full day at the park with POP on a Saturday during Memorial Day weekend. It's not too busy and you can get in all the rides in one day with some re-rides on your favorite rides.

RC!

^ Ok, let me re-phrase her comment....

"They have amazing operations and you'll never wait more than 15 minutes for anything...unless of course you happen to be there during Whirlwinds opening year in 1993."

--Robb "I've never seen the park with waits longer than 15 minutes in the past 10 years." Alvey

You will find that Twister and Phoenix have a following much like Raven and Legend.

Those who prefer Legend prefer Twister, those who prefer Raven prefer Phoenix.

I prefer Twister and Legend.

Twister is an absolutly unbelievable total package coaster. Crazy air, including the most amazing shot of lateral air on the planet. Rib smashing laterals, anunderground tunnel, split lifthill, the coolest looking view from the first drop of any coaster, the list goes on and on.

Yes I am Twister's bitch.

That being said, if you don't like a very strong physical ride Twister is not for you. The track work is impeccable and the ride is smooth as can be, but it is an extremely physical ride that makes you its bitch. I think I still have bruises from the lateral air at the helix entrance and that was over two weeks ago.

IMO Phoenix is overrated, and this year at PPP it ran like crap, it is a really good fun ride, but just not my style. Too one dimensional.

Edited by MagnumForce

You will find that Twister and Phoenix have a following much liek Raven and Legend.

Those who prefer Legend prefer twister, those who prefer Raven prefer Phoenix.

I prefer Twister and Legend.

Twister is an absolutly unbeivable total package coaster. Crazy air, including the most amazing shot of lateral air on the planet. Rib smashing laterals, and underground tunnel, split lifthill, the coolest looking view from the first drop of any coaster.

Yes I am Twister's bitch.

That being said, if you don't like a very strong physical ride Twister is not for you. The track work is impeccable and the ride is smooth as can be, but it is an extremely physical ride that makes you its bitch. I think I still have bruises from the lateral air at the helix entrance and that was over two weeks ago.

IMO Phoenix is overrated, and this year at PPP it ran like crap, it is a really good fun ride, but just not my style. Too one dimensional.

^GOD, well said there man

Can't compare them to Colossos, but I have been on those two.

Pheonix has stand up, ejector air. While it doesn't have much else to offer, what it DOES do is very very good. It's all about the airtime.

Twister is a combinatation of laterals and lots of speed and there is even some airtime. It's an AWESOME woodie.

now on to twister...

is twister a good woodie (weird question )? What about laterals? Airtime?

Well Im just going to take this as if it were Twister II, sence they are basicly both the same.

You get a lot of pops of air time, especially on the second turn around. And some major lateral G's in the twister part.

I'll agree there. Twister II is mild compared to Twister. They were both inspired by Mr Twister (how I wish I could've ridden that!) but Twister is much closer to it in design than Twister II, which is very loosely based on it, and it shows in ride experience - Twister II is to Twister, what Rollercoaster (BPB) is to the Grand National.. mild to WILD!

I couldn't believe that helix entry on Twister. I'm a rough rider (in terms of being thrown about, not rough trackwork) but that was a big surprise. It's made even crazier by the fact Knoebels removed the seatbelts (or tucked them under the seats, as I've been told previously) and the lapbars are somewhat worryingly loose on their mechanisms (as in side-to-side jiggly movement).

Phoenix, well what can I say. It's good, it's great. I'm not bothered that it's however many thousands of miles away from me though - I'd rather have Lakeside's Cyclone a bit nearer (Phoenix has the airtime, but Cyclone is just very funky, with a completely individual character).

It'd be lovely for Phoenix to have the vintage trains it had in Texas as the Rocket. The trains on it as Phoenix are vintage themselves to an extent, but they follow John Allen's 1960s design rather than the previous 40s PTC design (which was probably John Allen aswell, but with Herb Schmeck).

I wish the station was old style double-position as it was as the Rocket (evident in design, and likely in old Rocket photos I have somewhere) but that's ultimately a minor thing.

I'll stop now, I'm starting to annoy myself.

Crazy air, including the most amazing shot of lateral air on the planet.

That being said, if you don't like a very strong physical ride Twister is not for you. The track work is impeccable and the ride is smooth as can be, but it is an extremely physical ride that makes you its bitch.

Ooh, you said planet! Gotta disagree there! Aska, Nara Dreamland. You like Twister's lateral air? Aska pops it better. Twice.

Totally have to agree with the strong physical ride assesment. Aska's laterals aren't so strong, and I can't think of many that are. Avalanche, perhaps?

Phoenix overrated? Wow, don't hear that assessment often. I like P better than T, but I think they are one of, if not the best one-two woodie coaster punch around, but I haven't been to Holiday World, much to my dismay.

Chris B

I wasn't really a fan of Twister, but Phoenix I liked a lot. While it wasn't one of my favorite coasters it was a lot of fun and produced a lot of airtime.

As for when you should visit, avoid hot weekends in August. Everyone's saying that they've never seen lines longer than 15 minutes, but I waited around 40 minutes for both Twister and Phoenix until later in the day when it started to rain and people started to leave.

It being the next closest park past Dorney to me..

Phoenix is what it is.. straight up bone rattling airtime. It is probably the one that has remained truest to the designers wishes for what they wanted when it was built, and the buzz bars can scare the CRAP out of you if you are used to "newer" coasters. (Thunderhawk/AKA/The Coaster used to rival Phoenix.. but trims, new cars, and removal of a bunny hop neutered the crap out of it).

Twister is not the tallest or fastest coaster.. but at times it feels like both.. it is so packed in there that even when you are going relatively slowly, you truly feel like you are flying.. and _try_ to hold your hands up coming into that tunnel, or around the back turn right before it drops back under the first up-hill! It's a great ride.

They are both very good solid coasters.. neither is the "best" at anything in particular, but I think they both embody a lot of the best of their genres, and very little of the worsts.

Maeryk