TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Bags in parks on International Trips

coasterBro

In looking up info on several international parks, I ended up getting sucked down the rabbit hole of TPR TR's, and I noticed that in a lot of photos, a lot of TPR peeps are carrying bags/backpacks in the parks. As someone who normally just goes to parks with a wallet, phone, external USB battery pack, and maybe a bottle of water (if the park allows it) stuffed in my pockets (and prefers to avoid dealing with lockers whenever possible), I've never really felt the need to take a bag or more stuff with me. But seeing everyone else with bags makes me feel like I'm missing something about how to do international parks the right way. What am I missing? What all do you feel like the essentials are to carry with you when doing international trips? And how much do you find having a bag impacts your experience of the parks?

(I recognize that you in particular are likely usually carrying around camera equipment and things to film the rides and whatnot where a bag makes a lot of sense, but surely that isn't the same with everybody?)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes on trips (international and domestic) we have long days. People bring battery packs for their phones, snacks, umbrellas/ponchos, water bottles, etc.

Like you said, Robb has a ton of camera equipment. I carry a ton of stuff for me and KT, some of our other participants have what I mentioned above or go light and just stuff their pockets.

I think the only reason you see more people carrying bags on International trips is because those parks make it EASY to have a bag and don't charge for lockers, not let you in line, have safe places to leave your stuff, etc.

Sometimes on trips (international and domestic) we have long days. People bring battery packs for their phones, snacks, umbrellas/ponchos, water bottles, etc.

Like you said, Robb has a ton of camera equipment. I carry a ton of stuff for me and KT, some of our other participants have what I mentioned above or go light and just stuff their pockets.

I think the only reason you see more people carrying bags on International trips is because those parks make it EASY to have a bag and don't charge for fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo, not let you in line, have safe places to leave your stuff, etc.

Makes sense. Here's another topic for you:

I've done a lot of road trips across the US but am still relatively new to international travel. In the US, I almost never have any kind of base-camp and will chain parks together into a long trip, usually staying in different hotels in different areas each night and just leaving my luggage in the trunk of the rental car while I'm at the parks. On international trips, this seems to not really be a workable strategy. For my upcoming Korea trip, I've just got a hotel in Seoul and am taking public transportation everywhere. I've noticed in TPR trip reports that in places where a single hub doesn't make sense (like Japan), you'll hub in an area, then take a train to the next area and set up a hub there, etc.

My question is this: how do you handle dealing with all your stuff when changing hubs without losing a whole day to just travel? Do you check out of your hotel in the morning but leave all the bags at the hotel, go do park things, then come back & grab your stuff & get on a train to the next city? Or do you check out, head to the next city, drop your stuff at the new hotel there, and then go do things? Or are there other solutions? I can't imagine you'd be able to take luggage to any theme park and leave it anywhere. I did consider storage lockers at rail stations, but I can't imagine that could ever work for a group. How do you do it?