TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Las Vegas Area Attractions Discussion

17 minutes ago, thrillseeker4552 said:

I can’t speak for Big Apple Coaster, but based on my experience with the comfort collars on Electric Eel and West Coast Racers, they are right at cheek-height and cause unnecessary contact with your face/neck. They are not uncomfortable at all (they hardly touch you), but that is kinda the point... they hardly touch you. I would almost rather have them against my body/shoulders to avoid contact with my face. But they sit in such an awkward place, away from the body, that they feel so unnecessary and silly.

That makes sense to me. I didn’t notice them sitting near my face on the Big Apple Coaster, but I suppose that I could just be taller. I did notice that they were a bit awkward to get into/out of, though.

On 1/31/2021 at 12:25 AM, JGuy said:

Also, what is the reason people dislike the “comfort collars”? Do you find them uncomfortable, or do you just dislike that it increases the time it takes to dispatch the train?

I dislike them mostly because of where they rest in proximity to my neck. A few sharp turns or maneuvers and my neck jams into them, which isn’t particularly fun. I think my bigger issue is that coasters with more numerous and/or intense maneuvers have managed to have Premier deliver them without any restraint other than a lap bar. 

Was able to ride earlier today. Those trains are definitely a tight fit to get into the third rows of each car and for the most part you don't even notice or feel the comfort collars. EXCEPT that funky track profiling and transition into the third drop definitely bashes your neck/face into the comfort collar so beware of that part. 

The way the trains are designed with an individual seat for each rider and a lap bar that I feel covers all bases on the safety side - I'm not really sure why on earth they decided to have comfort collars. The lap bar holds you in just fine and the comfort collars just add time to the loading/unloading process. Maybe they can come off at some point?

Anyway, it's definitely not the best ride out there, but is at least more enjoyable and re-ridable now.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I had the opportunity to ride the “new” Big Apple Coaster this afternoon. I lucked out and got front row. My previous ride was in December 2018 (and I thought it was terrible). I am happy to say that the new trains have VASTLY improved the coaster. I was actually able to enjoy the coaster and take in the views. The two inversions are still the roughest parts, but they really aren’t that bad anymore. The comfort collars were not an issue, to my surprise, since I found them quite annoying on West Coast Racers and other Premier coasters. Any shuffling on the ride was just my shoulders hitting the sides of the seat rather than my neck on the comfort collars. I forgot they were there.

The improvements to the coaster won’t make it top anyone’s list of favorites, but it went from “flaming pile of garbage” to “actually decent and enjoyable for what it is.” It also looks very nice with it’s fresh paint job. Props to the NYNY Hotel and Premier for a job well done on actually making the coaster enjoyable now!

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Thank you, Premier. Your new trains turned The Migraine Machine 5000 into an absolute blast. There are even a few pops of air in the back car! It's still a little rough in a few places (ESPECIALLY the drop before the loop), but The Big Apple Coaster is definitely worth a ride. 

16 hours ago, CoasterKid93 said:

The Big Apple Coaster is definitely worth a ride. 

No it isn't. Not at the current price.  I can go next door to Shake Shack and get myself a large combo, plus a large concrete or milkshake, and still have a couple bucks leftover for the slot machines.  I'd much rather do that than ride a geriatric coaster that crawls through most of the layout.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 10:24 AM, KBrylczyk said:

No it isn't. Not at the current price.  I can go next door to Shake Shack and get myself a large combo, plus a large concrete or milkshake, and still have a couple bucks leftover for the slot machines.  I'd much rather do that than ride a geriatric coaster that crawls through most of the layout.

Damn, sorry for enjoying myself 

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

According to Vital Vegas, Buffalo Bill's will be soft opening Dec 23 with renovated flooring, rooms, and games.  Most food opening within a month, and official grand reopening mid-January.  However, no word on rides.

I figured this place for dead... crazy they're bringing it back.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2022 at 9:10 AM, ryder said:

According to Vital Vegas, Buffalo Bill's will be soft opening Dec 23 with renovated flooring, rooms, and games.  Most food opening within a month, and official grand reopening mid-January.  However, no word on rides.

I figured this place for dead... crazy they're bringing it back.

Hopefully they do enough business that they can get the rides back open.  I drive by Desperado all the time and would love to get a chance to ride it again.

• 2 weeks later...