TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion or Carowinds?

Hi folks,

as we are getting closer to our US trip I, need your help/tips:

Basically, we have to choose between Carowinds or Kings Dominion as our 4th stop on our road trip.

We do Cedar Point at the beginning, then Kings Island, Dollywood (we would have liked to cancel this part because of Lightning Rod, but we have a cabin which is non refundable), Carowinds or Kings Dominion and Cedar Point again.

We have been to Carowinds in 2015 and Kings Dominion in 2016 (Busch Gardens as well), and we will visit both parks next year again.

It's a tough choice this time as we had planned to try Twisted Timbers, but as our beloved Volcano is closed and we are not really grey out fans (I305), we might prefer Fury, Intimidator and Afterburn at Carowinds - but we are not sure....

So what would you do in our case? Which park do you like better?

Hope to get some input.

Thank you.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I would do Carowinds.

With volcano being closed and the mess that is twisted timbers with its new no loose artical policy and increased wait times. I would give it a bit before visiting. Granted there are still a ton of great reasons to visit the park but if volcano is a big reason for you visiting, I would wait.

I also might be a bit bias since I love Carowinds a lot more than KD. Lol

You can't really go wrong here, but my thought is KD.

My reasoning is - KD has new hotness this year, and since you're apparently going to both next year I'd save Carowinds and their new Mack for then since you've already been to both anyway so it doesn't matter a ton

and the mess that is twisted timbers with its new no loose artical policy and increased wait times. I would give it a bit before visiting.

Are people really factoring this into their trip planning?

I'd factor in which park is going to be the closest to your previous destination. Both parks are pretty good, but my personal preference is Carrowinds. I305 kicks your ass for sure in a really fun way, but if you're looking for a multiple rides on a capacity monster that you could re-ride all day long, pick Carowinds. Intimidator and Afterburn are also high capacity and very accommodating for re-rides. The park has a small simple layout that's easy to navigate.

That's my $.02.

Google Maps is showing roughly a 3.5 hour drive from Dollywood to Carowinds, and a 6.5 hour drive from Dollywood to King's Dominion. If you're then backtracking to Ohio from one of these parks, Carowinds would make your trip a lot easier -- from Charlotte, I-77 and 64 take you almost straight north to the Cleveland area.

I think King's Dominion is a slightly better park (coasters debatable), but since you've already visited both parks before and will do so again next year, I'd just go enjoy Carowinds this time given your itinerary. I'm sure Twisted Timbers is awesome, but you can get on it next year with hopefully Volcano repaired as well, and you'll still get to enjoy Steel Vengeance this trip.

and the mess that is twisted timbers with its new no loose artical policy and increased wait times. I would give it a bit before visiting.

Are people really factoring this into their trip planning?

To be fair he said

With volcano being closed and the mess that is twisted timbers with its new no loose artical policy and increased wait times. I would give it a bit before visiting.

Leaving out the beginning of the sentence dramatically changes the recommendation.

You are correct that no intelligent person should let the Twisted Timbers loose article policy be the deciding factor.

I would recommend visiting a park you have not done before if possible instead. Have you visited Hershey Park, Kentucky Kingdom, Holiday World etc? KK and HW are pretty close and you could likely hit both, and KK is not that far out of the way between Dollywood and CP.

Was at Carowinds yesterday for the 1st time ever and really liked it

If you’re looking at coasters only? KD has the edge (tho fury,intimidator , and afterburn were all stellar. Every other coaster was meh to painful)

However. I really enjoyed MANY of the flats and I think Carowinds edges out is in this department

KD is prettier tho

If can ONLY pick one? I’d do the shorter drive and go to Carowinds. Save KD until volcano is back up

You're pretty much choosing between; I305, Twisted Timber, and Dominator. Or Fury, Intimidator, Afterburn. Whichever of those that appeals to you more should get the nod. Carowinds is going to be getting a new ride next year, but it sounds like you may be back. Twisted Timbers is worth the visit for, but if Carowinds is closer to your route, I don't think Fury will disappoint!

Thank you all for your feedback!

Seems like the majority prefers Kings Dominion.

I still think we might go with Carowinds.

For me Kings Dominion is not complete without Volcano.

We definitely love giga‘s and hypercoasters which are rerideable.

I think Kings Dominion has the nicer setting and the more complete experience with all the trees and relaxing rides like Blue Ridge Tollway or the ferris wheel, were are not much into flats or second tier coasters like FoF or Stunt Coaster.

In conclusion: we are looking forward to riding the hell out of the 3 B&M‘s at Carowinds

and save nearly 3 hours of driving.

Just an added thought. Why not try either of these 2 parks to break up your drive back north. Lake Winnie in the tenn/ga border, off I 75, or if driving up I-77, stopping in at Camden Park in WV ? Both are just a quick side trip and are cheap to spend a few hours. Not the big mega parks, but a fun stop to stretch your legs and get some amusement park history credits.