TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lakeside Amusement Park Adding New Coaster (Denver, CO)

I ran a search for a thread on Lakeside and couldn't find anything, but anyway- A local new website called "The Know" is reporting that Lakeside is adding a new coaster. The photo they provided shows the coaster, and it appears to be a Pinfari coaster. This is a shock to me! I thought the park was going downhill. Photo by Firetyrtle on Reddit.

new-lakeside-coaster.jpg

Here's the original article.

Edited by larrygator

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see this park adding a new (to the park) coaster. I'm just hoping Wild Chipmunk isn't nearing the end of its life (though it is over 60 years old at this point) and this is the replacement family coaster they're preemptively bringing in.

^Good point; it's sad how quickly we slid from four classic Miler mice to only two.

Otherwise, this is good news. I wouldn't mind making another Denver coaster trip someday. While it's not in great shape and it doesn't have a particularly impressive ride collection, I've always hoped Lakeside continues to survive.

This new coaster is from my obscure home park Fun-plex located in Omaha Nebraska. You Denver guys are really lucky. Aside from no paint job, the staff at Funplex maintained this coaster well. It is very smooth and the lap bar (no seatbelt) rarely touches your legs. The two drops are great.

I do feel bad for the Lakeside employees though. They will have to push the car out of the station unless Lakeside installs some tires or something.

• 1 year later...

^ and ^^ Yeah I was there in June. It is just bizarre. Because the area around the coaster is kind of just a grass patch. And you could not access the coaster easily even if it was open. So they still would need to create a pathway or something. It is just... odd. I want to understand the folks who manage this park. Because it has way too much potential for its own good. And yet, there are signs everywhere of gross negligence (despite reasonable crowds).

E.G. rides not running all the cars, loads of broken vending and arcade machines horded in plain sight, the structure from the Starride not being removed for decades, a bathroom where EVERY urinal has been removed and so there is an empty wall on one side and stalls on the other, etc. But yet, I went... and I really enjoyed my time there because the retro feel of the park has been upheld entirely.

From what I have gleaned, the owners are kind of eclectic and out there. They are married to this idea of Lakeside staying "affordable" for the low income residents in the area immediately surrounding the park. Unfortunately I think we can all agree they have gone too far with what "affordable" means. They slap a few coats of paint around the park occasionally, but everything is obviously showing signs of fatigue or even near collapse. The famous landmark tower is really rough looking, and I fear they are letting it get too water damaged to save.

They can't even keep staff around. They have to do multiple hiring events throughout their relatively short season just to keep the park open. There are a few really dedicated folks who keep things going, but they can't keep everything going as a labor of love indefinitely.

I think Lakeside will suddenly close within the next few years. I really really love the park, but I know how this ultimately plays out.

^^ As much as I hate to say it you may be right. A lot of rides were closing early when I went and a lot needs some TLC.

^ Wait... this isn't ACE. We aren't weirdos who think we can save a ride from closing.

I flew to Denver a few weeks back to visit this park and Elitch before it closes. Having it be a perfect weather Sunday in late July I was stunned that both parks had multiple coasters closed. It got me thinking. This park needs help and Elitch needs a home. Would be neat to see Elitch Gardens buy this place. Combine them. Give this park lots of love and the attention it needs. Take the best of both parks. .02