TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is the best floorless?

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Batman: TDK is my favorite just because of the perfect zero-g roll.

Griffon is a close second.

Dominator has always been good, but has gotten a bit shaky.

Bizarro was good, but nothing special. Just one element after another.

Hydra can give good rides, but I've had too many rough rides on it.

• 2 weeks later...
^Hair Raiser was better than I'd been led to believe. That extra airtime hill is insane!

Even if it is better than we were led to believe, I am not sure if I'd say it is the best floorless out there. It is the one with the best view without question.

Finally made it around to all of the US ones this year.

1. Kraken

2. Superman Krypton Coaster

3. Medusa

4. Dominator

5. Bizarro

6. Scream

7. Hydra

8. Batman: The Dark Knight

Kraken and SKC are the only real standouts for me and the only floorless coasters in my top 20, though I may be underrating Dominator. I rode it back when it was at Geauga Lake and don't remember it that well.

• 3 months later...

Finally caught all the US ones. I always feel weird ranking these, but here's a top 5, with some very close together.

1. Medusa: I think I'm biased toward it because it was my first floorless, but it still runs about as well as I remembered, and perhaps better in some ways. There are some nice forces to be found throughout, particularly the first drop in the back row and the zero-g roll. While not exceptionally different from the others, the layout is plenty of fun.

2. Kraken: As one of the longer ones (though there are several in a similar range), it gives a great feeling of going on, and on, and on. Not particularly forceful, but has a nice relaxing feel to it. Riders get to enjoy a nice setting as well as a bit of theming. More of a "just plain fun" ride than a thrill machine, and that's perfectly fine with me in this case.

3. Dominator: Pretty standard, but it seemed to be the most forceful, and that's always fun (though not mandatory).

4. Hydra: Interesting layout, nicely landscaped setting, and some decent airtime in the back row. No complaints here.

5. Bizarro: Not quite as impressive last year (though I'm not sure whether it's the coaster that changed, or just me). But it's always run decently for me and I like the setting.

For me:

1. Medusa - It's easily the best aged of the ones I've been on. Still smooth as the day it opened. And even though I've ridden close to 1,000 times and I'm a little bored of it, it's hard to deny it's a great coaster.

2. Kraken - Great ride, but had a bit more B&M rattle than I would have liked.

3. Dominator - Also a great ride, just a little to rough for my liking.

4. Scream! - Sucks, waste of money.

If the Dive Machines counted, I'd put SheiKra at #1 and Griffon at #3 behind Medusa.

1. Hydra

2. Dominator

3. Kraken

4. Bizarro

5. Batman

Hydra just beause it is so unique, dominator for its consistently forceful and unique layout, both in the first and second half of hte layout. Kraken is just plain cool as far as theming goes, and has a great layout to back it up.

Out of the few that I've ridden, I'd say:

1. Kraken at Sea World Orlando

2. Medusa at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

3. Superman Krypton Coaster at Six Flags Fiesta Texas (may not be accurate, see below)

4. Scream! at Six Flags Magic Mountain

With Kraken, although most of the first half of the ride isn't special (in terms of location/theming), the end theming is nice, and the ride itself is fantastic. For Medusa, despite it being a parking lot coaster, it still delivers an awesome ride. Superman Krypton Coaster is great, but I don't remember it enough to fairly rank it, so 3rd place on my list is just an estimate. All I do remember is that its location is excellent and it delivers a very fun ride. Finally, even though Scream! delivers a decent ride, it has gotten slightly rattly over time, its paint is fading, and it is one of the worst eyesore parking lot coasters out there because of its placement.

I really like Hydra because of the zero-g-roll right out of the station, it is intense.

You're entitled to your opinion and all, but what exactly do you mean by "intense" in this case?

At least for me it felt a little intense cause you go so slow on the inversion it felt unsafe, even though I know it is completely safe.

I really like Hydra because of the zero-g-roll right out of the station, it is intense.

You're entitled to your opinion and all, but what exactly do you mean by "intense" in this case?

At least for me it felt a little intense cause you go so slow on the inversion it felt unsafe, even though I know it is completely safe.

And the JoJo Roll is clearly more intense than a lift hill.

• 6 months later...

This is how I'd rank all of the floorless coasters I've ridden.

1. Dominator back when it was at Geauga Lake

2. Superman Krypton Coaster @ Six Flags Fiesta Texas

3. Medusa @ Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

4. Bizarro @ Six Flags Great Adventure

5. Scream @ Six Flags Magic Mountain

6. Hydra @ Dorney Park

7. Batman the Dark Knight @ Six Flags New England