TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Weight Management Support/Enouragement thread

Hey guys! Long time no talk. As some of you in this thread may know, for a year and a half I had a goal to lose 100 pounds by SFGAm Opening Day 2021. Yesterday was the big day, and I am happy to report I was at -101.8m pounds! If you would like to hear my story about riding Maxx Force for the first time, look at my post in the SFGAm thread!

With that said, I have three goals in mind for SFGAm Opening Day 2022, but I "only" want to hit at least two of them. 1) To weigh less than 200 pounds. This has always been a "far fetched" dream that is not so far fetched anymore! 2) To weigh less than 194 pounds. This is more a stretch, but this is a "healthy" BMI for my height. I feel great right now at 221 don't get me wrong. And some do not believe in BMI. But I would never think I would be considered completely healthy. 3) to dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim. As a basketball fan, this s something I have always wanted to do. And now that I am the most physically fit I have ever been, it's not impossible! I am 6 foot 2 so I will have to do more than just lose weight to get there. It will be a grind, but I am up for it. If I hit two of those I will be extremely happy and will only have to "maintain" from that point forward!

How is anyone else doing?

• Like 1
  • Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been in the same boat, recently trying to restart my own weight management. I really packed on the pounds during the pandemic, and right around Christmastime, I was up to 290 -- the heaviest I've

I lost all the progress I'd made doing keto and a couple weeks ago I was at the heaviest I've ever been - 283lbs. Then a week ago I started on Wellbutrin. After a week, I finally weighed yesterda

so. . 15 days back on plan, and slowly working my way back up to 1:30 walks. (today's was 1:20, and until today, been doing ~1:15 for a week). still struggling with portion control, but no sodas,

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Dan the Coaster Man said:

"healthy" BMI for my height. I feel great right now at 221 don't get me wrong. And some do not believe in BMI.

Because BMI says that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is obese. I dare anyone to call a guy who could bench-press a tank obese.

But congratulations on your journey!

19 hours ago, CaptainUnknown said:

Because BMI says that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is obese. I dare anyone to call a guy who could bench-press a tank obese.

But congratulations on your journey!

Exactly!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm starting the process of getting back on track and making some serious assessments of my daily habits. I was already in a bad place before the pandemic hit, and quarantine / working from home exacerbated all of my worst tendencies. My weight / health paid the price - I'm at a point where I have trouble walking up and down my street without having to sit down and rest my back. 

I signed up for Noom earlier because I like the approach of focusing on the psychology behind weight loss and changing habits, rather than solely focusing on the food itself. I need some serious changes in my relationship with food, how I perceive it, how I use it, and fix a lot of the underlying mental issues behind it. I'm also trying to find a therapist that specializes in food addictions as well.

Here's to another first step!

• Like 1

actually just posted this update to my FB a little while ago:

Super Stressful day at work today, but I started back on exercising, after stopping for ~3 months and putting back on ~30 lbs.

only did 33 minutes, but it's 33 minutes more than yesterday!

and I'll do my best to stick to it, as have just ~2 months before Kings Island (and gotta fit my ass in some coasters) and ~4 months until Dragon*con.

• Like 1

I've been in the same boat, recently trying to restart my own weight management. I really packed on the pounds during the pandemic, and right around Christmastime, I was up to 290 -- the heaviest I've ever been.

Since the beginning of the year, I've been on a keto diet, purchased a spinning bike for the garage, have been doing daily walks between 3 to 5 miles, and been using a Nintendo Switch game called "Fitness Boxing 2" to get additional movement in. I've also been using my Apple Watch's activity mode to track and keep myself honest; it's just a little thing but I don't want to lose my streaks.

In the first four months of the year, I have dropped from 290 to 248. I'm still shooting to get under 200 by the end of the year (and hopefully in the 220-225 range by August, assuming the California theme parks are open to out-of-state visitors by then).

• Like 3

only been a week since back on the wagon - but down 3.2lbs.

hopefully by the end of May will be down under 200 again.

• Like 1

I didn't have the best of weekends - I had a couple commitments where I didn't worry too much about what I ate. I was focused more on changing a couple other bad habits during the week, which I made a little progress on. Didn't cut certain foods completely out of the diet yet, but I definitely ate them less frequently.

Noom has been a help, but I need to get better at doing it every day. I did like the first three days consecutively, then I forgot about it for a couple days. 

Overall down 3lbs, though.

• Like 1

so. . 15 days back on plan, and slowly working my way back up to 1:30 walks. (today's was 1:20, and until today, been doing ~1:15 for a week).

still struggling with portion control, but no sodas, no fast food, and no eating after 8pm is working for me.

so in 15 days of exercise, I'm down ~5.5 lbs.

today I weighed in at 203.2 lbs (started at 208.8 back on 5/11).

i think I'll hit my goal of 200 or under by end of month (fingers crossed)

• Like 3

Weighed in at 244.8 this morning -- so I'm halfway to my goal of 200! Just gotta stay consistent with the exercise and diet. (Gonna be so hard to do that when I'm spending a few days at Hersheypark next week though...)

• Like 2

On Wednesday at my 6-month checkup, I was 281. The highest I've ever been.

But we discussed some stuff and I'm now weaning off the beta blocker I've been on, because while correlation doesn't equal causation, my increase in weight after losing started immediately after starting on the med. Plus, reviews online have a LOT of people saying they gained weight on it.

I'm also gonna be starting on thyroid medicine; we've been testing my thyroid for ages and it always comes back "normal," but my symptoms don't fit anything other than hypothyroidism. So my doctor said we might as well try the med on me and just see what my results are in three months' time. He said he's had other patients that have had a similar issue - test results in low part of normal range, but still having symptoms, but with meds, symptoms went away when they hit the high part of the normal range.

And fingers crossed that my Medicaid will approve an ADHD med for me this time around. We've tried all sorts of non-stimulants, and none are helping.

I think with the three above med changes/additions, I might actually be able to lose weight again.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, coneyislandchris said:

Weighed in at 244.8 this morning -- so I'm halfway to my goal of 200! Just gotta stay consistent with the exercise and diet. (Gonna be so hard to do that when I'm spending a few days at Hersheypark next week though...)

you'll do a lot of walking. . will be easier than you think to burn calories :)