TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Weight Management Support/Enouragement thread

bert425

Hey guys! Long time no talk. As some of you in this thread may know, for a year and a half I had a goal to lose 100 pounds by SFGAm Opening Day 2021. Yesterday was the big day, and I am happy to report I was at -101.8m pounds! If you would like to hear my story about riding Maxx Force for the first time, look at my post in the SFGAm thread!

With that said, I have three goals in mind for SFGAm Opening Day 2022, but I "only" want to hit at least two of them. 1) To weigh less than 200 pounds. This has always been a "far fetched" dream that is not so far fetched anymore! 2) To weigh less than 194 pounds. This is more a stretch, but this is a "healthy" BMI for my height. I feel great right now at 221 don't get me wrong. And some do not believe in BMI. But I would never think I would be considered completely healthy. 3) to dunk a basketball on a 10 foot rim. As a basketball fan, this s something I have always wanted to do. And now that I am the most physically fit I have ever been, it's not impossible! I am 6 foot 2 so I will have to do more than just lose weight to get there. It will be a grind, but I am up for it. If I hit two of those I will be extremely happy and will only have to "maintain" from that point forward!

How is anyone else doing?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dan the Coaster Man said:

"healthy" BMI for my height. I feel great right now at 221 don't get me wrong. And some do not believe in BMI.

Because BMI says that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is obese. I dare anyone to call a guy who could bench-press a tank obese.

But congratulations on your journey!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm starting the process of getting back on track and making some serious assessments of my daily habits. I was already in a bad place before the pandemic hit, and quarantine / working from home exacerbated all of my worst tendencies. My weight / health paid the price - I'm at a point where I have trouble walking up and down my street without having to sit down and rest my back. 

I signed up for Noom earlier because I like the approach of focusing on the psychology behind weight loss and changing habits, rather than solely focusing on the food itself. I need some serious changes in my relationship with food, how I perceive it, how I use it, and fix a lot of the underlying mental issues behind it. I'm also trying to find a therapist that specializes in food addictions as well.

Here's to another first step!

• Like 1

actually just posted this update to my FB a little while ago:

Super Stressful day at work today, but I started back on exercising, after stopping for ~3 months and putting back on ~30 lbs.

only did 33 minutes, but it's 33 minutes more than yesterday!

and I'll do my best to stick to it, as have just ~2 months before Kings Island (and gotta fit my ass in some coasters) and ~4 months until Dragon*con.

• Like 1

I've been in the same boat, recently trying to restart my own weight management. I really packed on the pounds during the pandemic, and right around Christmastime, I was up to 290 -- the heaviest I've ever been.

Since the beginning of the year, I've been on a keto diet, purchased a spinning bike for the garage, have been doing daily walks between 3 to 5 miles, and been using a Nintendo Switch game called "Fitness Boxing 2" to get additional movement in. I've also been using my Apple Watch's activity mode to track and keep myself honest; it's just a little thing but I don't want to lose my streaks.

In the first four months of the year, I have dropped from 290 to 248. I'm still shooting to get under 200 by the end of the year (and hopefully in the 220-225 range by August, assuming the California theme parks are open to out-of-state visitors by then).

• Like 3

I didn't have the best of weekends - I had a couple commitments where I didn't worry too much about what I ate. I was focused more on changing a couple other bad habits during the week, which I made a little progress on. Didn't cut certain foods completely out of the diet yet, but I definitely ate them less frequently.

Noom has been a help, but I need to get better at doing it every day. I did like the first three days consecutively, then I forgot about it for a couple days. 

Overall down 3lbs, though.

• Like 1

so. . 15 days back on plan, and slowly working my way back up to 1:30 walks. (today's was 1:20, and until today, been doing ~1:15 for a week).

still struggling with portion control, but no sodas, no fast food, and no eating after 8pm is working for me.

so in 15 days of exercise, I'm down ~5.5 lbs.

today I weighed in at 203.2 lbs (started at 208.8 back on 5/11).

i think I'll hit my goal of 200 or under by end of month (fingers crossed)

• Like 3

Weighed in at 244.8 this morning -- so I'm halfway to my goal of 200! Just gotta stay consistent with the exercise and diet. (Gonna be so hard to do that when I'm spending a few days at Hersheypark next week though...)

• Like 2

On Wednesday at my 6-month checkup, I was 281. The highest I've ever been.

But we discussed some stuff and I'm now weaning off the beta blocker I've been on, because while correlation doesn't equal causation, my increase in weight after losing started immediately after starting on the med. Plus, reviews online have a LOT of people saying they gained weight on it.

I'm also gonna be starting on thyroid medicine; we've been testing my thyroid for ages and it always comes back "normal," but my symptoms don't fit anything other than hypothyroidism. So my doctor said we might as well try the med on me and just see what my results are in three months' time. He said he's had other patients that have had a similar issue - test results in low part of normal range, but still having symptoms, but with meds, symptoms went away when they hit the high part of the normal range.

And fingers crossed that my Medicaid will approve an ADHD med for me this time around. We've tried all sorts of non-stimulants, and none are helping.

I think with the three above med changes/additions, I might actually be able to lose weight again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coneyislandchris said:

Weighed in at 244.8 this morning -- so I'm halfway to my goal of 200! Just gotta stay consistent with the exercise and diet. (Gonna be so hard to do that when I'm spending a few days at Hersheypark next week though...)

you'll do a lot of walking. . will be easier than you think to burn calories :)

• 3 months later...

First time I've been back on this thread since my last post. I was happy to see some people take new initiatives, hope yall are doing well and chipping away still! I would like to hear how its going 🙂

All of my hard work to lose 100 pounds was awarded immensely this summer. I visited Kennywood (2 days), Waldameer, Kings Island (5 days), Hershey (2 days), and Kentucky Kingdom, all while interning at Cedar Point! I also went to a FEC, SFMM, Belmont Park, DCA, Knott's (2 days), and Carowinds (2 days). 102 credits (68 new), 50 days riding at least one coaster, and 430 cumulative rides! I had the summer of my life and it felt so rewarding after EVERYTHING I have gone through!

Unfortunately I did not have access to a kitchen while living at Cedar Point. So I put on some weight. And then, to continue the theme in my life that something must always happen, I broke my scaphoid on my first weekend back from this summer. In the short term, I could not cook for a couple weeks after that. So I still have not exactly gotten back to my healthy eating, and I've been hovering around 240 lbs. To make it worse, I still have at least two more months in a cast. Not only does that mean a lot less coasters, but it means I can not do any exercise beyond walking (because cast cant get wet/sweaty).

With that said, I have been walking daily. In fact, despite breaking my wrist and driving/flying to all the parks above, I have exercised at least 45 mins and burned at least 750 active calories for 180 STRAIGHT DAYS and counting. That's right, no off days! Since April 1st!

October 1st I am going to hit the reset button, mostly pertaining to my eating. But with my injury, I have to make some adjustments to my goals to work towards. I am still finalizing my revised goals, so I will update on what I decide!

• Like 1

A couple pictures of me from late 2019 popped up on Facebook the other day and I realized just how great I'd started to look after losing weight... It has spurred me to try to get back to full-time low-carb and intermittent fasting. I'm about 280 right now (I'd gotten down to 230); my first goal is to lose 100 to get me down to 180, which will put me under 35 BMI so I can get a breast reduction. I wish they'd let me at least do the consultation, but my insurance won't do it. You'd think they'd take into account the fact that I have fibromyalgia, so I'm in pain all day every day and having a heavy chest ain't helping my back any.

I'm looking forward to losing again. I've been in a really bad funk the last few months mentally and gaining back all that I'd lost has been one of the major factors.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry it took me awhile to get around to this, but I have my new goals! 1)Reach below 200lbs at least once by 4/8/22, otherwise be 202.8lbs or less 2) Close all my apple watch rings for 365 straight days! 3) Average 9,642 steps through March (this will put me at an average of 9,500 since Aug 2019) 4) Average 52 exercise minutes per day through March (this will put me at an average of 60 since June 2020) 5) Average 750 active calories burned through March (this will put me at an average of 1,000 since June 2020).

So far in October, I've been doing okay. My weight isnt really dropping but I'm averaging 9,422 steps, 59 minutes and 983 calories. I'm set to get my cast off in 2-5 weeks, so I am close to getting back to higher intensity exercise (mostloy basketball for me). My VO2 max is increasing, which I am happy about!

• Like 2

I need to get back on track.

been a really stressful past 6 months, and have put on a bunch of weight (again).

still not back up to my heaviest, but I've got to cut back on the crap and start exercising again.

I like this theme; you guys inspired me too. I have wanted to thoroughly start doing my body and health for a long time, but I did not have enough motivation to start it since it is always morally complicated. I want to have a beautiful and toned body, but I want to get my body in shape in safe ways, without severe stress for the body. I am advised to order some supplements from Rats.Army, as they have good reviews from their customers and in general, their prices are reasonable. If someone has tried to use their products here, please write to me; I would like to know what you are taking for weight loss.

Haven't checked in here in a while. After typically ballooning up last year due to a variety of reasons that don't really matter, I'm back on my exercising/good eating bullsh*t and have run each and every morning at the asscrack of dawn since the end of July and this morning passed the 30 pound marker since I started keeping track. Also lifting at home as well. Feeling amazing, sleeping great, lots of energy throughout the work day. My main motivation is a big trip we have coming up (in just over 40 days) to some new-to-me parks and I want to ensure I fit on all the rides and look as sexy as possible while doing it.

Nice to see everyone else pushing themselves to be better, I'm cheering you all on.

• Thanks 1

I just wanted to offer another suggestion for no-carb drinks: Clear American flavored sparkling water at Walmart. A 33oz bottle is roughly 60-cents (I'm in Missouri, so prices will probably vary); it comes out to less per oz than getting my zero sugar sodas, so I've been gradually cutting down on how many bottles of soda I allow myself in a day and then just drink the sparkling waters. They're flavored, but also use artificial sweeteners, so they're sweet unlike a lot of flavored waters (I tried LaCroix.... no bueno).

I started off with Strawberry and really liked it, so just stuck with that. I did end up trying a few other flavors: the Red, White and Blue Pop tasted like cough syrup to me, so not a fan of that flavor; Cotton Candy and Watermelon also had similar tastes, so a no go.

But then a couple weeks ago I found and grabbed a couple flavors I hadn't tried yet. The White Grape is pretty good, though the taste reminds me heavily of the purple grape Tylenol chewable tabs I used as a kid; it can be a little overwhelming if you want your drink to be refreshing. Orange & Cream is amazing; the aftertaste is more orange than cream, so not a super cloying taste and the orange tastes like actual orange, not artificial.

But the masterpiece is Fuji Apple. I have fallen in love. It tastes EXACTLY like having just chewed a bite of apple in your mouth. No artificial taste to it. And because of that, the drink goes down cool and crisp. I very, very, highly recommend trying it!

• 2 weeks later...

October was a weird month for me. I hit most of my fitness goals – I fell short an average of 56 steps per day (which is really nothing), but I hit my exercise minutes and active calorie goals with averages of 62 mins and 1,004 active cals. But my weight was stagnant, which I am not all that mad at because I resorted to some comfort eating after getting dumped. I’ll shake the comfort eating, and today I got out of my cast so I will be able to run now. Still another month until I can play basketball, but at least now I can work a sweat again!

How was everybody's Oct?

• Like 1