TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Weight Management Support/Enouragement thread

bert425

Still trying my best to stick to my healthy eating with daily exercise plan - at least thru my Birthday next Sat (where I'm gonna massively cheat, and have lots of cake)

this past week was extremely stressful, and all the Challah French Toast (and other assorted carbs), as well as the sodium from the soy sauce I had with Sushi in the week didn't help, so when I weighed in on Tues, I hadn't dropped even an ounce from the prior week.

So today, I weighed again, after giving the carbs/sugar/sodium time to get thru my system, and saw a nice ~4lb drop. Even if that is because I hadn't eaten or drank yet before weighing, and had just gotten out of a long hot soak after my 1:30 walk today.

so. . . . this week's update:

2/18: 218 lbs

2/28: 209.4 lbs

3/6: 206.4 lbs

3/11: 205.2 lbs

3/18: 201.6 lbs

3/25: 198.8 lbs

4/01: 196.2 lbs

4/08: 192.8 lbs

4/18: 189.0 lbs (so down ~29 lbs !)

I'm really proud of that, and am in within 5lbs of my "goal" of 185 lbs, and only 9 lbs from my stretch goal of 180 lbs.

How's everyone else doing?

so Back on Feb. 18, I finally got on the scale, trying to "shock" myself into getting back on plan after knowing I'd been eating poorly and stopped exercising.

I was determined to get back into somewhat decent shape by my Birthday.

well, that is tomorrow, and as of right now? I'm 30lbs lighter than I was on 2/18.

of course, I'm gonna screw it up tomorrow. . but for today? I'm really proud of myself.

this week's update:

4/18: 189.0 lbs

4/24: 188.0 lbs (so down exactly 30lbs).

which puts me only 3 lbs from my goal weight, and 8 lbs from stretch goal.

87837768_2789029004521627_5385691566717272064_o.jpg.4f802f36e87d6c8a0ef2b64966edd2d8.jpg

from 2/29

IMG_3442.thumb.jpg.7f1b04e316626abeeb5fed05f13841b6.jpg

from 4/24

• 2 weeks later...

Hit my Goal today!

I took a week off (from weighing, not from exercising) to help counteract 4 days of Birthday Cake (hey, only two of us here. . and that full cake wasn't gonna eat itself). . so here's today's update:

4/24: 188.0 lbs

5/07: 185.0 lbs (My Goal weight! So down exactly 33lbs).

which puts me only 5 lbs from stretch goal.

but the most exciting thing?? I can fit in my Godzilla shirts I bought in Tokyo back in Oct, and figured I'd just have as Souvenirs forever.

yay me!

IMG_3839.jpg.cf2233a9a9c47a1e0e326bee9e01cd59.jpg

IMG_3840.jpg.1c4bce43b2dc78b407a8e72399249f97.jpg

283725556_IMG_3844(00000002).thumb.jpg.0204ad6a9fd8a2143d29b2f183a05af5.jpg

1283243737_IMG_3845(00000002).thumb.jpg.41b4ef85badfcd7001bb94a81f104269.jpg

IMG_3846.thumb.jpg.ebb077b259262d259d014fae72a84b9e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update after weighing last week (but not posting). . I'm tantalizingly close to my Stretch Goal weight!

. . so here's today's update:

5/07: 185.0 lbs

5/15: 183.4 lbs

5/22: 180.6 lbs (So down ~38 lbs).

so in just over 3 months, was able to almost lose back down to where I was before (yay) and puts me ~ 1/2 lb from stretch goal.

I'm so happy to see your progress, Bert! That's awesome!

I... well, let's just say that I'm back where I started. UGH.

I'm slowly trying to get myself back into keto. And speaking of, there's a new ice cream brand called Rebel that's sold at Walmart that is keto-friendly. An entire pint is only 4g net carbs. I got the mint chip to try the ice cream out, and I LOVE it. It is SOOOO good. And I cannot eat a whole pint of ice cream in a single sitting, so that's even less carbs for me!

Much better than pigging out on edible cookie dough like I've been the last few months... UGH. So disappointed with myself.

Hi guys! I am new to the forums as a whole and was thrilled to see this thread. I think it is a great idea because through my current transformation I believe a support structure has been essential to my success and perseverance.

My long story somewhat shorter… for reference I am 6 foot 2… basically my whole life I had steadily gained weight. Was always overweight, eventually crossing into obese. October 2017 was an extremely rough month for me in life. I turned to comfort eating and boredom eating and my weight started to balloon. I started college in the fall of 2018 and my parents wanted to take me to SFStL Labor Day weekend to spend some time with me. I had my walk of shame on Batman, the first ride of the day, right in front of my dad. I had another walk of shame on Screamin Eagle. After a few months of playing the “woe is me” card, I decided to change in 2019. I weighed in my heaviest at 322.8 pounds on 12/30/18. Mid December 2018 I had a cyst removed that was supposed to heal in 2-4 weeks, but it took me 4 months. So, the start of 2019 was slow with no exercise, and in the summer, I lost motivation and fell off the wagon. Before the school year started again, I committed to change again, but this time I acquired more support. 8/13/19 I weighed 313.4 pounds.

Since then, I have been on a successful transformation both mentally and physically. I started with developing healthy habits, not taking on too much to burnout. I advanced when I was comfortable with taking on more. Above all, I put myself first. Some notable changes were only drinking water (except milk with cereal), fixing my sleep schedule and taking a class on reaching my full potential that encouraged reading leisurely. I fast on Friday’s and eat plant based whole food diet on Monday’s and for breakfast and dinner on TWThSaSu. I rarely have snacks. I cheat often. With my Fitbit I would aim for 12,500 steps a day. However, 16 days ago I upgraded to an apple watch. I am still getting used to it. For the first 14 days my goal was to burn 750 active calories. I was reaching it with ease, so I changed my goal to 800 yesterday and we will see how this week goes. So far on average I burn 1,138 active calories a day, but I have more free time with quarantine and no school now, so I do not know how feasible this is long term. I play a lot of basketball, go for walks and use my elliptical whenever I am home. This June I am starting to do weight training. Before that I was strictly cardio. I do not specifically count calories and carbs, but I limit them and look at labels and nutrition facts before I eat anything. A couple of days ago I hit -75 pounds total and -30 pounds since quarantine. I’ve had a couple bad days since, so as of today I am at 248.4 pounds: -74.4 since 12/30/18 and -65.0 since 8/13/19. Using estimates of my weights throughout the years, at my current weight, I can comfortably fit on all coasters at SFGAm (home park, but have not been on Maxx Force, so don’t know abut that one). I should fit on about 95% of rides. Unfortunately, because of the pandemic I am probably taking this year off. I do not own a season pass, so I do not see it worth going until I get one, which at the earliest would probably be the flash sale for the 2021 season. Speaking of which, sometime in November 2019 I set myself a goal of 222.8 pounds (-100 pounds) by opening day for SFGAm 2021. I am well on pace to hit that, and then some!

That said, I have taken some time to read this thread to get to know some of you and what you are going through. I am here to support you all! I believe support is incredibly important. It encourages people and gives them some accountability. I would love to update you all on my transformation, but I do not want to flood the thread, so I am hoping it will be at least semi-active! Best of luck to all of you, I hope you achieve your goals and dreams, and let’s get on some coasters!

1491285329_DCweightloss.thumb.PNG.9d3bae8b0439c78ae48f717dd401a814.PNG

12/25/18 to present

So, I mentioned the keto-friendly Rebel ice cream we've been getting from Walmart. Well, last week and this week, we've gotten big packs of a different brand of keto ice cream from our food drop.

This brand is Enlightened, and they can be found at stores like Hy-Vee, Price Chopper, and I think Whole Foods (aka, stores we don't have within an hour of us). The flavor we got both weeks is Peanut Butter Fudge, and like the mint chip Rebel, it is 4g net carbs for a whole pint. It's really good, but I can't wait to be able to find other flavors at the stores when we go to visit family whenever our next visit gets to be.

Hi guys! I am new to the forums as a whole and was thrilled to see this thread. I think it is a great idea because through my current transformation I believe a support structure has been essential to my success and perseverance.

My long story somewhat shorter… for reference I am 6 foot 2… basically my whole life I had steadily gained weight. Was always overweight, eventually crossing into obese. October 2017 was an extremely rough month for me in life. I turned to comfort eating and boredom eating and my weight started to balloon. I started college in the fall of 2018 and my parents wanted to take me to SFStL Labor Day weekend to spend some time with me. I had my walk of shame on Batman, the first ride of the day, right in front of my dad. I had another walk of shame on Screamin Eagle. After a few months of playing the “woe is me” card, I decided to change in 2019. I weighed in my heaviest at 322.8 pounds on 12/30/18. Mid December 2018 I had a cyst removed that was supposed to heal in 2-4 weeks, but it took me 4 months. So, the start of 2019 was slow with no exercise, and in the summer, I lost motivation and fell off the wagon. Before the school year started again, I committed to change again, but this time I acquired more support. 8/13/19 I weighed 313.4 pounds.

Since then, I have been on a successful transformation both mentally and physically. I started with developing healthy habits, not taking on too much to burnout. I advanced when I was comfortable with taking on more. Above all, I put myself first. Some notable changes were only drinking water (except milk with cereal), fixing my sleep schedule and taking a class on reaching my full potential that encouraged reading leisurely. I fast on Friday’s and eat plant based whole food diet on Monday’s and for breakfast and dinner on TWThSaSu. I rarely have snacks. I cheat often. With my Fitbit I would aim for 12,500 steps a day. However, 16 days ago I upgraded to an apple watch. I am still getting used to it. For the first 14 days my goal was to burn 750 active calories. I was reaching it with ease, so I changed my goal to 800 yesterday and we will see how this week goes. So far on average I burn 1,138 active calories a day, but I have more free time with quarantine and no school now, so I do not know how feasible this is long term. I play a lot of basketball, go for walks and use my elliptical whenever I am home. This June I am starting to do weight training. Before that I was strictly cardio. I do not specifically count calories and carbs, but I limit them and look at labels and nutrition facts before I eat anything. A couple of days ago I hit -75 pounds total and -30 pounds since quarantine. I’ve had a couple bad days since, so as of today I am at 248.4 pounds: -74.4 since 12/30/18 and -65.0 since 8/13/19. Using estimates of my weights throughout the years, at my current weight, I can comfortably fit on all coasters at SFGAm (home park, but have not been on Maxx Force, so don’t know abut that one). I should fit on about 95% of rides. Unfortunately, because of the pandemic I am probably taking this year off. I do not own a season pass, so I do not see it worth going until I get one, which at the earliest would probably be the flash sale for the 2021 season. Speaking of which, sometime in November 2019 I set myself a goal of 222.8 pounds (-100 pounds) by opening day for SFGAm 2021. I am well on pace to hit that, and then some!

That said, I have taken some time to read this thread to get to know some of you and what you are going through. I am here to support you all! I believe support is incredibly important. It encourages people and gives them some accountability. I would love to update you all on my transformation, but I do not want to flood the thread, so I am hoping it will be at least semi-active! Best of luck to all of you, I hope you achieve your goals and dreams, and let’s get on some coasters!

Welcome Dan!

and congrats on the progress you've made thus far.

What really helped me stay on track, was the weekly accountability of posting. . .so you shouldn't feel bad about posting frequent updates if you feel it helps you stay on track.

Since I actually got to my stretch goal, I've gone to posting updates ~ every two weeks. Next one in a few days.

hopefully I'm staying on track! but we shall see.

bert

^ and nice update Tina.. glad you found a treat that you enjoy that is not too diet-busting!

So since my first post was on a Tuesday, I guess that will be the day of the week I will try to update. I weigh in daily (assuming access to scale, and I always use the same scale, at generally the same time)

Today I weighed in at 245.6 lbs, down from 248.4 lbs last Tuesday, for a loss of 2.8 lbs. I had a pretty standard week. Besides a massive cheat lunch yesterday, everything else was great or acceptable. Yesterday I increased my active calorie burn goal from 800 to 850.

Today and tomorrow I will be out of town, and Thursday night starts a non-coaster vacation. Vacations can be hit or miss for me. Some vacations I lose up to 6 pounds, others I gain. I plan on staying as active as I can while away, and I have a grocery list for meal prepping before I leave. I’ve never meal prepped for a vacation, so I’m not sure how it will go. Hopefully I do not stray too far away. That said, next Tuesday I will not have my scale with me. I plan to update then but I will not have any numbers to go with it.

Sorry I haven't been updating the past few weeks.

I *have* been weighing myself once a week still, but I got stuck on a plateau which was a little depressing, as I haven't been able to cut back on the exercise - even tho I plan to. I find I feel guilty if I don't go for a walk, and I've got to get out of that headspace, as even a "short" walk turns into an 1:20 one, since I don't feel like I've exercised enough.

I even actually gained a little bit (not much, but a little) as work stress overwhelmed me and had a really bad weekend of eating a lot of stuff that I knew weren't good choices a couple of weeks back.

i got back on plan almost right away tho.

anyways . . so here's the latest update:

5/22: 180.6 lbs

between 5/22-6/12, I hovered between a low of 179.6 lbs & high of 180.2 lbs.

6/19: 177.6 lbs (loss of 41 lbs total!).

so in just 4 months, was able to lose almost back down to where I was at my lowest (175) and actually bypass my stretch goal.

i was even able to fit back into my size 34 "Skinny" pants, I got for part of a cosplay outfit when I was at my lightest (tho I do have some Dad-Bod stuff going on. . but hey, not bad for 53!).

anyways. . yay me!

IMG_3547.thumb.jpg.14cd5a7e9b75a34a36c476ad226e5f55.jpg

IMG_3548.thumb.jpg.0bf09145e2b6e5739901a9ab3a2fa57b.jpg

Nice job to all of you! The weight thing really is a lifestyle change and not just a temporary fix. As I was getting older I noticed I could no longer eat like I used to. I started the Intermittent Fasting 'lifestyle diet' back in November and I've been REALLY happy with it. I know a bunch more people that are doing that now as well. I think it's a diet that works for a lot of people cause it doesn't restrict what or how much you eat but just when you eat it. It's very mental as you have to have the willpower to sometimes go to bed hungry but you don't wake up hungry so it really is a mind over matter type thing. Are any of you doing the fasting thing?

^ I don't do Fasting per se, but as I noted I try not to eat after 8pm. And as I don't eat until lunch the next day (typically ~12:30/1pm), I guess technically it's ~a 16 hour Fasting period most days.

as sometimes I DO cheat, and eat something light in the middle of the night

agreed tho, it's really mind over matter - and the times I'm successful in staving off the hunger? I simply get a giant glass of water and just drink it until the urge to eat passes!

I do need to get back into the intermittent fasting. I was doing the 16/8 version, which works well for me, 'cause I don't eat breakfast, so doing just lunch and dinner within the 8 hour window is easy. I just need to get back to paying attention to the time so I can actually be doing it properly. And gotta stop letting myself cheat on what I'm eating; I've gotta stick to the low-carb as best as I can because I can't take Metformin as a preventative because it collides with my IBS. With PCOS, I have a high risk of developing diabetes, so when Metformin didn't agree with me, my OB-GYN put me on low-carb plus intermittent fasting, and I lost nearly 40 pounds.

I've gained all that back, and it's my fault. I need to be better at ordering food at restaurants when I'm on the road with my friends. I can't keep justifying eating bad when there are always options for better eating.

I'm down about maybe 10 pounds since the start of the year (scale has a varying 0 value so I'm not entirely sure) mostly because of an active job, increased water intake and some added (mostly) weekly time on an elliptical. My junk food intake has also gone down a bit due to avoiding extra food because of a Root Canal.

Sorry I haven't been updating the past few weeks.

I *have* been weighing myself once a week still, but I got stuck on a plateau which was a little depressing, as I haven't been able to cut back on the exercise - even tho I plan to. I find I feel guilty if I don't go for a walk, and I've got to get out of that headspace, as even a "short" walk turns into an 1:20 one, since I don't feel like I've exercised enough.

I even actually gained a little bit (not much, but a little) as work stress overwhelmed me and had a really bad weekend of eating a lot of stuff that I knew weren't good choices a couple of weeks back.

i got back on plan almost right away tho.

anyways . . so here's the latest update:

5/22: 180.6 lbs

between 5/22-6/12, I hovered between a low of 179.6 lbs & high of 180.2 lbs.

6/19: 177.6 lbs (loss of 41 lbs total!).

so in just 4 months, was able to lose almost back down to where I was at my lowest (175) and actually bypass my stretch goal.

i was even able to fit back into my size 34 "Skinny" pants, I got for part of a cosplay outfit when I was at my lightest (tho I do have some Dad-Bod stuff going on. . but hey, not bad for 53!).

anyways. . yay me!

How have you managed to remain such discipline in your weight loss journey?

edit: Nice that you're looking much better!

Hello! Last Tuesday, and the majority of my vacation, I had poor signal and was not able to update. Today is my first entire day back at home, so I was able to weigh in this morning to see what my vacation did to me. The meal prep did not go well as we ended up eating out a lot. So I ate bad, but I tried keeping portions smaller. I stayed active, closing all my rings on my apple watch each day. I was extremely happy when I weighed in at 241.8 lbs this morning; -2.0 lbs for the entire vacation! With a couple days left this month, I am currently at -7.4 lbs for the month of June, which is awesome considering I went on vacation. With my estimates, I am the lightest I have been in ~5 years! Only 19 pounds left until my ultimate goal that I want to hit by 4/9/21. I am in a great spot!

While on vacation, I was able to get on 3 new credits on some mountain coasters in the Smoky's. These were my first new credits since my disastrous day at SFStL. It was 648 days between new credits! I had a little anxiety before the first alpine coaster, but once I got off the lift it was so liberating and I was right at home. I also bought my first XL shirt in 2-3 years in Gatlinburg, and it fits perfectly! If anything, it is a little too big! Just feeling great. I want to continue updating on Tuesdays as best as I can, so the turnaround will be quick for the next update.

^ Bert, way to go on the numbers! That is pretty astounding. Walking is great. Where do you walk? Rubber tracks feel great, I have one near my house that I am excited to use again because Illinois closed it for awhile. Concrete hurts the joints, avoid if you can!

^ Captain, you make it souynd like root canal can help me out, as painful as they are great job on the -10 lbs! Water intake is great keep it up.

^ Tina and Shark, I fast on fridays. I call it "Fasting Friday". After I moved back in with the family, I found that Friday's were our worst meals. No matter how hard I tried to eat my own food, if they made pizza, I needed a bite. Then two. Then a piece, then another... So I eat breakfast on Friday's and then that is it. Next meal is breakfast saturday, The 16/8 did not work for me. When I started skipping breakfast that is when I started gaining weight. When I tried it a few months ago, it was not nearly as effective as Fasting Friday. It's different for everyone I think. Ultimately, the best diet and/or exercise plan is the one you will actually do.

Happy Tuesday everyone. This morning I weighed in at 241.6 pounds, so I lost .2 lbs since my last update Sunday. I have not eaten the best the past two days, but I have been killing it exercising. Living in Illinois, the park district basketball courts FINALLY reopened on Friday. I played for 121 minutes on Sunday and 73 minutes yesterday, burning 3,084 active calories combined. I am thrilled to play on real hoops again, hopefully the wind stays away now...

Hello everyone. This past week was quite a roller coaster for me. Thursday morning I weighed in at 240.0, so I was off to a great start. A few hours later I had a minor incident, so I did not work out Thursday-Saturday to allow myself to recover. I also ate extremely bad Saturday and Sunday (Happy 4th). I gained all my weight back, but I worked out Sunday-now, ate good yesterday, and I ended up at 239.6 this morning, for a weekly loss of 2.0 pounds. All things considered, a great week! I am the lightest I have been in 5 years plus one month.