TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official "TPR Coaster Poll" Thread!

I keep it pretty simple and just think "If I only had these two coasters in front of me, which one would I ride?" and work my rankings out that way.
I use that thinking to an extent but it can get complicated for me. Put a coaster I've ridden dozens of times next to one I've only ridden a few times (or not in a while), I'd probably choose to ride the one I haven't been on much, even if the frequently ridden coaster is better. I tend to get really hung up over my rankings if I start to think this way!

I'm satisfied with my list and have submitted it. Can't wait to see how the results go!

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep it pretty simple and just think "If I only had these two coasters in front of me, which one would I ride?"

Usually when this scenario is presented to me my response is "Honestly, just choose for me. I really don't care and I'll probably have fun on either one!*"

* Unless one of the choices is Gourderix or Hades 360 and it it's a choice between those two, just shoot me.

Edited by robbalvey

Currently finalizing my ranking right now. What I have found helpful, and hopefully this doesn't affect the algorithm, is that I am just lumping together "types" of coasters, ranking the coasters within that type (which is much easier), then ranking the types themselves.

For example, I would put together B&M Floorlesses, GCI woodies, and Arrow mine trains. I would then rank the GCI woodies first, then B&M Floorlesses, then Arrow mine trains, in that order. This is the best way for me to tolerate ranking "mid-tier" coasters. This doesn't necessarily apply to the top coasters and bottom coasters, since some stand out on their own and can't rank within their "type" in my opinion (like Skyrush, for example, or the huge discrepancy between Riddler's Revenge at Apocalypse at SFA).

Is this a good method? I can't wait to see the results.

For example, I would put together B&M Floorlesses, GCI woodies, and Arrow mine trains. I would then rank the GCI woodies first, then B&M Floorlesses, then Arrow mine trains, in that order. This is the best way for me to tolerate ranking "mid-tier" coasters. This doesn't necessarily apply to the top coasters and bottom coasters, since some stand out on their own and can't rank within their "type" in my opinion (like Skyrush, for example, or the huge discrepancy between Riddler's Revenge at Apocalypse at SFA).

As long as each of your "types" is ranked appropriately, it won't mess anything up, even if all of the coasters in each "type" are tied.

Just noticed, when searching for "The Smiler" nothing comes up, which I then realised was because The Smiler is incorrectly listed under the name "Smiler". Just to let you know so it can be fixed!

Thanks for the feedback but it is not broken so there is no need to fix it. It is very common to drop the "the" when listing out names of things. None of the coasters that have "the" in their official name have it on our poll. For example "The Voyage."

Edited by robbalvey

I keep it pretty simple and just think "If I only had these two coasters in front of me, which one would I ride?"

Same here. I call it my "guaranteed way to put Kingda Ka bullsh*t high on my list even though I should really know better" ranking method.

Submitted my rankings, here is my combined top 10:

1) Lightning Rod - RMC - Dollywood

2) Intimidator 305 - Intamin - Kings Dominion

3) Skyrush - Intamin - Hersheypark

4) Maverick - Intamin - Cedar Point

5) Outlaw Run - RMC - Silver Dollar City

6) Phoenix - PTC - Knoebels

7) Fury 325 - B&M - Carowinds

8) El Toro - Intamin - Six Flags Great Adventure

9) New Texas Giant - RMC - Six Flags Over Texas

10) Voyage - Gravity Group - Holiday World

I've avoided ranking coasters until now. Actually seemed pretty easy, but then I was figuring the results will be combined with others so it's not like I'm publishing my sole version of Truth.

Oh well, post some of it anyway:

The I305

The Skyrush

The El Toro

The Storm Runner

The Superman The Ride

The Nitro

The Dominator

The Wicked Cyclone

The Kingda Ka

The Superman Ride of Steel ... SFA's in the Top 10!

52. Steel Force

53. Avalanche

54. Big Apple Coaster

60, 61. SFOT, SFOG mine trains I last rode over 40 years ago. No chance to win, but still kind of cool.

[b&M Standups]

[b&M Flyers]

68. Batwing

The only coaster I noticed that was missing was Drifting Coaster from the traveling circuit.

We originally limited the selection to the largest traveling coasters at the time - Olympia Looping, Alpina Bahn, Spinning Racer, Hollenblitz, Teststrecke, Spinning Coaster XXL, and Wilde Maus XXL. Considering the Drifting Coaster's popularity and uniqueness, we'll consider adding it to the 2018 poll.

I really love that someone finally tried to recreate a 'Mitch Hawker' style poll and you even seem to improve on it. I also managed to create a ballot for the beta, but I observed a few usability issues - especially if you try to create a complete ranking of your 300+ coasters (and I think, on the long run, more people will try to do and keep complete lists).

I had the problem, that after adding more than 100 coasters to the ranking, the handling becomes slow and tedious. Grabbing a new coaster from the 'unranked list' and dragging it up to its correct position takes around 30 seconds (or even more if the list gets longer) - per coaster.

I would prefer the following layout, and I hope you are going to consider this, because it adds a ton of usability:

The unranked list is on the left and the ranked list is on the right.

Both lists have their own scrollbar.

That's all.

Now, when I want to add a new coaster, I scroll to it in the left list (or just execute them in the order of that list), scroll to the target position on the right side, drag it and drop it. Done in a few seconds.

In addition, my final ballot had two errors which I could not remove: 'T3' and 'Pulsar' had two entries in the ranked list. Don't know how this happened.

Other than that: Great job, very nice site and I'm eagerly awaiting the first results!

I didn't rank every coaster I've ever ridden, but I think my top ten and bottom ten are pretty solid.

TOP TEN

New Texas Giant

Balder

El Toro

Expedition GeForce

Wildfire (Kolmarden)

Maverick

Goliath (Walibi Holland)

Intimidator 305

Olympia Looping

Goliath (SF Great America)

BOTTOM TEN ("best" to "worst")

Apocalypse (SFA)

Firehawk

Nighthawk

Eejanaika

Zeus

Cyclops

Anaconda (Walygator)

Goudurix

Bandit (Movie Park Germany)

Space Mountain: Mission 2 (DLP)

I really love that someone finally tried to recreate a 'Mitch Hawker' style poll and you even seem to improve on it. I also managed to create a ballot for the beta, but I observed a few usability issues - especially if you try to create a complete ranking of your 300+ coasters (and I think, on the long run, more people will try to do and keep complete lists).

I had the problem, that after adding more than 100 coasters to the ranking, the handling becomes slow and tedious. Grabbing a new coaster from the 'unranked list' and dragging it up to its correct position takes around 30 seconds (or even more if the list gets longer) - per coaster.

I would prefer the following layout, and I hope you are going to consider this, because it adds a ton of usability:

The unranked list is on the left and the ranked list is on the right.

Both lists have their own scrollbar.

That's all.

Now, when I want to add a new coaster, I scroll to it in the left list (or just execute them in the order of that list), scroll to the target position on the right side, drag it and drop it. Done in a few seconds.

In addition, my final ballot had two errors which I could not remove: 'T3' and 'Pulsar' had two entries in the ranked list. Don't know how this happened.

Other than that: Great job, very nice site and I'm eagerly awaiting the first results!

lol! I'm sorry, but I sort of have to laugh that you sign up for our forums the day AFTER the poll closes and we have been discussing the beta test for nearly 4 months only to tell us now what you don't like about it in a "compliment sandwich" format. While we all appreciate the feedback, it sort of makes it hard for us to take it seriously.

Been a while since I posted on the forums, but I thought this was a pretty cool project so I thought I'd might as well chime in. Didn't get to rank to much, but I think I got a pretty solid top ten together. I tend to find myself ranking rides based simply on how memorable and or interesting I found them, versus vigorously diving into different "categories" (airtime, + forces, smoothness, etc.) like I used to. Nothing wrong with the later, just not how I prefer to do things anymore. So anyway, here's what I ended with:

1. Olympia Looping - Barth (Traveling)

2. Coaster - Playland (I used to have the wooden Wild Mouse at Blackpool tied with this one, but I think we all know what happened to that one...)

3. Mindbender - West Edmonton Mall

4. Cyclone - Coney Island

5. Twisted Colossus - Magic Mountain

6. X2 - Magic Mountain

7. Nemesis - Alton Towers

8. Tornado - Bakken

9. Widle Maus XXL - Eberhart (Traveling)

10. Steeplechase - Blackpool Pleasure Beach

I'd just like to say thanks to everyone who helped put this together, I had a lot of fun with this and can't wait to see the results!

Hey, welcome to the TPR forums!

I am not seeing duplicate entries for T3 and Pulsar on our end, so there shouldn't be an issue with your ranking. Thanks for taking the time! As this year's poll is still in "beta", things may be a little different next year, but we're sticking with what we have for now.

I am not seeing duplicate entries for T3 and Pulsar on our end, so there shouldn't be an issue with your ranking. Thanks for taking the time! As this year's poll is still in "beta", things may be a little different next year, but we're sticking with what we have for now.

That looks like the ranking got added twice somehow. I don't know how (creating a record for a user and coaster that already exists just updates it), but I've removed the duplicates from your ballot.