TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official "TPR Coaster Poll" Thread!

Bottom Five

Indiana Jones et le Temple du Péril Intamin Amusement Rides Disneyland Paris - Disneyland Park

Condor Vekoma Rides Manufacturing Walibi Holland

Hades 360 The Gravity Group Mt. Olympus Water and Theme Park

Goudurix Vekoma Rides Manufacturing Parc Astérix

Bandit Roller Coaster Corporation of America Movie Park Germany

Lol I will be riding 4 of these next month! Can't wait...

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(It would appear the Tig'rr at Indiana Beach is missing, fyi.)

We are not including any Schwarzkopf Jet Star 1s (Tig'rr), Jet Star 2s, or City Jets.

My list is finally submitted!

Top 10:

Intimidator 305 Intamin at KD

Phoenix PTC at Knoebels

El Toro Intamin at SFGAdv

Lightning Rod RMC at Dollywood

Voyage GG at HW

Outlaw Run RMC at SDC

Beast Dinn at KI

Fury 325 B&M at Carowinds

Millennium Force Intamin at CP

Cornball Express CCI at IB

Bottom 5:

Steamin' Demon Arrow at GE

T3 Vekoma at KK

Vortex B&M at Carowinds

Flight Deck Vekoma at CW

Time Warp Zamperla at CW

I don't want to give away my top ten just yet, but here is my bottom ten:

Cobra - Tivoli Friheden

Twister II - Elitch Gardens

Green Lantern: First Flight - Six Flags Magic Mountain

Apocalypse the Ride - Six Flags Magic Mountain

Anaconda - Walygator Parc

Predator - Darien Lake

Coaster Express - Parque Warner Madrid

Goudurix - Parc Astérix

Bandit - Movie Park Germany

Hades 360 - Mt. Olympus Water and Theme Park

1) Maverick

2) Kawasemi

3) T Express

4) Nemesis

5) Kumba

6) Millenium Force

7)Montu

8) Big Grizzly Mountain Mine Cars

9) Grand National

10) Atlantis Adventure

Bottom 5 were mostly headbangers that left me with a migraine: Indiana Jones (seems a popular one here), Rolling X Train, French Revolution, Black Hole 2000 and Stampida. There aren't that many old wooden coasters out here so I haven't been on too many rough ones, I know there's a minority, normally outside of enthusiasts but sometimes not who will whine about RMC touching the classics or even not classics, but looking at peoples posts here there's definitely a lot that could use a RMC refurbishment.

A couple of notes:

Most of mine are from the U.K./South Korea/Japan with one or 2 from other countries.

I love T-Express but seeing Elissa put El-Toro and Balder on her list over it makes me really want to go try those two.

Dodonpa would probably have been on there previously since I like it so much I willingly submit myself to Fuji-Q on most trips but I will probably skip over trying out the new version to spend some time at Nagashima trying out my first RMC and a lot more interesting credits on my next trip.

Kind of surprised myself on how high I ended up putting Big Grizzly. There are a few just outside my top ten that made me go wow but each time I put Grizzly against them I figured I'd rather ride Grizzly. It just is such fun from start to end and one of my favorite Disney coasters.

I don't know if it's different trains or something else but Stampida sucked last time I rode it, which I don't remember it being like on my first visit when I was young.

Was surprised how low I put Hair Raiser. It's gone from why are people complaining? to I guess it does rattle a bit but not enough to whine about, to what happened to this ride?

I really expect Atlantis to drop fast in my rankings. It's a fun ride, but the waters been off for years and from what I've seen is mostly for effect and doesn't change the ride experience. Looking at rides like Time Traveler and some of the other rides that are twisty rides without the need for massive drops, I feel like there are a few rides out there since Atlantis opened that I'll end up liking for the same reasons I like Atlantis but more.

Top Ten

Expedition GeForce Intamin Amusement Rides Holiday Park

Lightning Rod Rocky Mountain Construction Dollywood

Balder Intamin Amusement Rides Liseberg

Phoenix Philadelphia Toboggan Coasters Knoebels Amusement Park and Resort

Maverick Intamin Amusement Rides Cedar Point

Wildfire Rocky Mountain Construction Kolmården

El Toro Intamin Amusement Rides Six Flags Great Adventure

Storm Chaser Rocky Mountain Construction Kentucky Kingdom

Outlaw Run Rocky Mountain Construction Silver Dollar City

Kawasemi Intamin Amusement Rides Tobu Zoo Park

Good to see another Balder fan, I prefer it to Wildfire too - (but helix beat them both for me)

...now let me get back to making my list..

(but helix beat them both for me)

I probably should give Helix another try but it really ended up being one of the most disappointing coasters I've ever been on, especially given the hype. And I wonder if it was the hype that perhaps made it disappointing for me. I actually far prefer Blue Fire and Velociraptor over Helix.

I love T-Express but seeing Elissa put El-Toro and Balder on her list over it makes me really want to go try those two.

On my list I actually have Balder and T-Express being tied. At one point in time I think we had it as #1 on our list, but I wonder if that time has played a factor here as we have not ridden it since 2008, I believe. I remember liking it the BEST out of all the Intamin woodies but being ten years since we've last ridden it, it's hard to base a judgement when that much time has passed.

It just means we need to get back to S. Korea again!

Robb and Elissa I hope you guys post more than your top 10s. With the quantity you guys have ridden, I'd love to see at least a top 50. Is Kid Tums voting in the poll?

Is it going to skew the results if I rank my coasters into my 8 favorite tiers? And leave off everything else? So basically my 50 favorite coasters with a crapload of "ties" for first, second, third, etc. I won't submit if it will screw up the algorithm but it's how I'm currently ranking my favorite "best of" coasters. I always have to be different and difficult

see: https://coasterpoll.com/u/anonymouscactus/rankings

Is it going to skew the results if I rank my coasters into my 8 favorite tiers? And leave off everything else? So basically my 50 favorite coasters with a crapload of "ties" for first, second, third, etc. I won't submit if it will screw up the algorithm but it's how I'm currently ranking my favorite "best of" coasters. I always have to be different and difficult

see: https://coasterpoll.com/u/anonymouscactus/rankings

Nope, that'll work just fine.

Robb and co., would you mind explaining which method the team intends to use to determine the order of the final ranking? Will it be similar to Mitch Hawker's method or something different?

I know there's quite a few ways to tally polls, but I liked Mitch's method because "less-ridden" coasters could still be ranked with the big boys from Cedar Point, etc. Ranking on quality vs popularity, you know?

Robb and co., would you mind explaining which method the team intends to use to determine the order of the final ranking? Will it be similar to Mitch Hawker's method or something different?

I know there's quite a few ways to tally polls, but I liked Mitch's method because "less-ridden" coasters could still be ranked with the big boys from Cedar Point, etc. Ranking on quality vs popularity, you know?

It's very similar to Mitch's methods. We're specifically trying to avoid heavy bias towards popular coasters. I'll have a more detailed write up of exactly how it works when we release the results.

It's very similar to Mitch's methods. We're specifically trying to avoid heavy bias towards popular coasters. I'll have a more detailed write up of exactly how it works when we release the results.

Excellent, that's exaclty what I wanted to hear!

Robb and Elissa I hope you guys post more than your top 10s. With the quantity you guys have ridden, I'd love to see at least a top 50. Is Kid Tums voting in the poll?

I have to be honest, ranking coasters past my top 20-ish just isn't my thing. I'll have my top 25 and my bottom ten and everything is "in the middle." It goes back to my philosophy that any time spent analyzing a ride is better spent RIDING a ride...

(but helix beat them both for me)

I probably should give Helix another try but it really ended up being one of the most disappointing coasters I've ever been on, especially given the hype. And I wonder if it was the hype that perhaps made it disappointing for me. I actually far prefer Blue Fire and Velociraptor over Helix.

I had the exact same thing when I rode it two summers back. I knew the ride would feel slow during the morning and early afternoon so I waited till 3PM to ride it and it was still not what I expected given the hype. Later that evening (around 10:30PM) the speed was much higher and the ride felt better but if you're a fan of more extreme coasters I can see why people are disappointed. And hype kills rides, Piraten (or any megalite for that matter) was hyped by some people I know but when I rode it to me it felt kinda meh. So people stop hyping the rides xD.

My top ten is a rather normal one:

Wildfire - Kolmården

Taron - Phantasialand

Helix - Liseberg

Troy - Toverland

Goliath - Walibi Holland

Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park

Juvelen - Djurs Sommerland

Silver Star - Europa Park

Blue Fire Megacoaster - Europa Park

Lisebergbanan - Liseberg

And the last four, kill them with fire:

Anaconda - Walygator Parc

Thunderbolt - Luna Park

Bandit - Movie Park Germany

Coaster Express - Parque Warner Madrid

Yeah, to be honest, after #25, I just kind of grouped stuff at a 30, 35, 40, 55, etc. I'm happy to post it though.

Kristen says she really has no desire to make a list. Her list would probably be VERY odd. I know Phoenix would be #1, but she would have some really strange other ones in her top ten...for example, she's obsessed with Van Helsing at Movie Park Germany!

It is a good point that even with only 70 coasters ending up on my list, apart from maybe the top 20 and bottom 10, I really did have 40 rides that were all mostly just fun/enjoyable or ok/meh. I probably spent 5x more arranging those into some sort of order than I did my top 10. I don't know where to place Nemesis Inferno, the Battlestar rides, Galactica or Millenium. They were all vanilla in the end to me.

How much of an effect would it have on the way the algorithm works if for next time I either a) just omitted them altogether and kept a top 20 and bottom 10 for a total count of 30, b) didn't arrange them and just left them randomly placed or c) just assigned most of them a middle number e.g. 25. and then listed the bad ones.

I basically put everything beyond top 40 in a tier system. Like Nitro is the 45-50 tier, Magnum is the 50-55 tier and let the poll decide where they go. Also a lot of the coasters fall into the I can say which one I like but I can’t compare them category. How am I supposed to compare Dodonpa with Mega-Lite?

I have to be honest, ranking coasters past my top 20-ish just isn't my thing. I'll have my top 25 and my bottom ten and everything is "in the middle."
Yeah, to be honest, after #25, I just kind of grouped stuff at a 30, 35, 40, 55, etc. I'm happy to post it though.

Fair enough. I'd imagine when it gets to the level of having ridden as many as both of you have, so many of them just kinda blur together.

It goes back to my philosophy that any time spent analyzing a ride is better spent RIDING a ride...

I totally agree with this philosophy. I'm amazed by those folks that have the time and patience to work out elaborate spreadsheets and rate their rides based on a billion different factors. I keep it pretty simple and just think "If I only had these two coasters in front of me, which one would I ride?" and work my rankings out that way.

Once again, thanks for putting this all together.

How much of an effect would it have on the way the algorithm works if for next time I either a) just omitted them altogether and kept a top 20 and bottom 10 for a total count of 30, b) didn't arrange them and just left them randomly placed or c) just assigned most of them a middle number e.g. 25. and then listed the bad ones.

C would be the best option. At least with C, you're making the conscious effort to say "I like this group of coasters over this other group". So, that means all those coasters you tied would get a "win" over the bad group.

With A, your "meh" coasters might end up ranked lower than they should be, and your "bad" coasters higher, because you left them off. With B, you have that group that you like over your "bad" coasters but the arbitrary ranking in that group might make certain coasters do better or worse in the poll unintentionally.

TLDR - if you're going to do "grouped" rankings, give each coaster in a group a tied ranking.