TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official "TPR Coaster Poll" Thread!

I did notice the new Intamin jetski coaster at SWSA wasn't there, but the 3 other majors were. Whoops, I just read that some of these were put together a year ago, as I saw the same thing with Invadr and Mystic Timbers. Please ignore this one as you build the coaster list

One of the things we're working on with of the coaster list at this moment is bringing all of the parks that currently exist on the poll up to being current with the 2017 season (additions and removals).

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool to see this coming from TPR. I have to echo Canobie Coaster in the Great Escape Comet mention. Also I totally agree with Boldikus. Yes Mr. Skank Mountain’s comment about not grouping certain types of coasters. After riding SFNE’s Mind Eraser before the new trains and then this past season the new trains with vest restraints make a gigantic improvement. Otherwise this is looking awesome. Thanks for asking us to check it out!

Obviously there's a huge backlog of parks that aren't on the poll. We'll get 'em all eventually. More important in terms of the list are mis-names / inaccuracies / strays, like Jake mentioned previously:

I did notice a Mack coaster called "540" listed under Canada's Wonderland

Also, right now, the poll is slow to catch up, so it may be several hours before you see a park or coaster be changed / added.

This is great! I feel privileged to take part in this beta test. I, too, had the aforementioned issues on Chrome, but being that this might be day 1 of going live, I'll wait until it's sorted out before I do any time-consuming rankings. Last time I took a Mitch Hawker poll, I had only been to about 3 theme parks. Now, I've been to many more, so this will take some time for me to rank everything to my satisfaction.

Some thoughts/ideas:

I like your idea of having an ongoing poll that we could change throughout the year as we ride new coasters or change our ranking. I also like that you guys aren't including kiddie coasters, because I think that would just unnecessarily clog up the rankings. There are a few that may be worth including, as others have mentioned. I also think Boomerangs and other clones should stay separate. It would additionally be interesting if there was some way to click on the coaster type and see how others of that type are ranking. I.e. click on "SLC" and see a ranking of all the SLCs, or even click on "B&M Floorless" and see a ranking of all the Floorless coasters.

I'm also wondering about modified rides. I haven't been on Ghostrider or New Revolution since they were revamped, so I'm not sure if I should still rank them based on my last experiences. Also, might there be a way to indicate whether we've ridden a ride in the last year? I seem to remember the Mitch poll including something like that.

Anyway, I know this will take time to perfect, but I am overall very pleased with what you guys have accomplished and I am excited to see what results this will produce!

I'm having the same drag and drop issue as well. I do use chrome, do I need to use a different browser?

As is the case most of the time, I am a complete idiot and this is probably on me being said idiot. But I really want to do this for you as I think this is a great idea and very much miss the Mitch poll.

I just started filling out all my coasters ridden. I haven't ranked them all yet (because there are a lot of rides that I have ridden) but I should be able to complete that sometime this weekend.

This is a great way to do polling and I like the drag and drop but it is very hard for me to do at the very beginning when I have SO many coasters ridden on the list. I keep finding myself having a coaster near the bottom and then have to move it all the way to the top. The only thing that may help me out (because I'm a nerd) is to have the rides ridden on the ranked page in alphabetical order when you first start. That way I know where they are.

I know it's all a work in progress and I'm very excited to see where this takes off!

Jimmy "Thank you for not including unnecessary, crap, kiddie coaster rides!" Bo

It would additionally be interesting if there was some way to click on the coaster type and see how others of that type are ranking. I.e. click on "SLC" and see a ranking of all the SLCs, or even click on "B&M Floorless" and see a ranking of all the Floorless coasters.

This made me think of how when you guys finally do an official count and subsequent announcement of winners/final rankings, it might be cool of you guys to award a winner in different categories as well - best floorless, best woodie, best invert, etc based on the overall results. I mean if ya wanna get into that. Or not.

I keep finding myself having a coaster near the bottom and then have to move it all the way to the top.

Here's an idea: would be cool to have a "move to top" or "move to bottom" function as its a pain to drag/drop when you get to a certain amount of coasters, I cant imagine how much of a PITA it is for people that have like 4-500+ credits!

It looks great so far. I haven't tried moving coaster rankings yet.

The home page - at the end of Section 1 riddne should be ridden.

PortAventura not PortAdventura

Casey coaster at DLP is listed twice

I noticed rexplorer at Mirabilandia listed, but it is a powered coaster.

There will be people that have ridden all coasters at a particular park, is there a way to check ridden for the whole park, instead of having to check individually.

After you get to the ranking portion if you realize that you included a coaster that you didn't ride, is there a way to remove it without starting over?

This is awesome! Kudos for taking the time out of your schedule to tackle such a project!

Overall I had some of the same issues already documented (dragging in Chrome, saving issues, etc), but I'm sure those'll be worked out in time. I'm more curious about how much you think you'll be able to build out the search functionality. I didn't have much trouble finding a coaster if I knew a specific name or park, but are there any plans to build it out more like the tree functionality RCDB uses for its searches? For example, if I wanted to pull up all coasters currently Florida, would I be able to do that? Currently, it seems strictly based off of a text string search - "ID" gives me Idaho coasters and every coaster / demographic with the text string "ID" in it, whereas "Idaho" comes up with nothing.

Also, is there an intended purpose for the 'Keep Looking" button? I never ran across a search where it was activated and clickable.

Again, awesome job so far!

So, some interesting comments about searching. It should actually bring up results from a specific state, the catch is that currently limited to only knowing “ID” as in “Athol, ID”. The search is powered by Algolia, so there’s a lot of functionality that can be there, it’s just a matter of supplying it the right data. And the “Keep Looking” button does actually show more results, but with a dataset of only about 500 coasters only, it narrows down the results so quickly (within a few letters) that there’s practically never more than 25 results needed to get a second page.

I personally think being able to search quickly (over 90% of searches are <1ms) and accurately is huge, so I’m all for trying to make improvements to it.

There will be people that have ridden all coasters at a particular park, is there a way to check ridden for the whole park, instead of having to check individually.

After you get to the ranking portion if you realize that you included a coaster that you didn't ride, is there a way to remove it without starting over?

That’s definitely something that I can add, for the entire park.

Just find that coaster again anywhere and click “Ridden” again. It toggles between “ridden” and not. It’ll be remove from your ranking if you “unride” it.

Just find that coaster again anywhere and click “Ridden” again. It toggles between “ridden” and not. It’ll be remove from your ranking if you “unride” it.

OK, that makes sense, I can go back to the saved "ridden" page and remove. Perfect

Good News!

• Park links from search results work
  • Giant list is sorted alphabetically
  • No longer viciously caching everything and refusing to expire
  • No longer showing (hundreds?) of duplicate notices
  • Typo on the homepage was fixed
  • DRAG AND DROP WORKS!!!
  • RANKINGS CAN BE SAVED!!!

So the most annoying problems hopefully have been addressed. Specifically, drag and drop actually works in Chrome (there was a change and the package had to be updated). Plus, you can actually save the rankings that you spent so much time working on. It'll auto-save after a few seconds of inactivity, but you can also save on your own if it makes you feel better. And now that you can actually see changes we make to coasters or parks, without waiting 2 hours, it's much easier to make sure things get done and corrected.

One issue I've found is that after dragging and dropping, if I drag it around a second time, it resets its ranking to 1 in the box on the right. I can easily adjust it manually (it doesn't skew the rankings behind it, i.e. all coasters will drop one number further), but I just wanted to add that for your reference.

I'm using IE if you need browser information.

This is awesome, guys! Thank you so much for taking this project on.

Unfortunately, my rankings still aren't saving. They still revert back to the original order every time I click off of the rankings tab and then back onto it (even after manually pressing "save"). Also, it would be super helpful/time conserving if the page would scroll up as you dragged a coaster toward the top of the list.

Just read through this and didn't see anyone mention it, but Joker at Great adventure is listed twice and I'm pretty sure the second one is supposed to be the one at Great America.
PortAventura not PortAdventura

Casey coaster at DLP is listed twice

These should be fixed, will check again shortly.

Save isn't working for me on Macbook Chrome. But dragging is!

Also, it would be nice while dragging if the screen autoscrolled whiled holding the dragged item near the top of the screen (It already does this on the bottom of the screen). Right now there's a lot of drag, drop, scroll, repeat which can be tedious.