TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official "TPR Coaster Poll" Thread!

Also, Dragon Challenge did operate in 2017...

Then it stays!

Or it doesn't, it's your poll do whatever the heck you want with it.

It is interesting to think about ranking rides you haven't been on in a while, rides like the Voyage or Hershey Park Wildcat that I've read reports of not aging well. My only experience of those rides is from several years ago when they were newer and still really good so I guess you just have to rank them based on that individual experience.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so quick update.

• We're currently working on adding more parks and coasters. Sorry to Six Flags for the forgotten ones...
  • There's an issue with caching, where new parks/coasters don't immediately show up.
  • Thank You! to everyone who's reporting issues, cause it's really hard to find problems with just me.
  • Kiddie coasters aren't going to realistically compete as far as the poll is concerned.
  • Dead/Defunct coasters are dead, and knowing how they rank isn't a concern of ours. It doesn't do anyone any good.
  • Coasters with major changes, I'd like to refer to them in their current form. Because that's what matters when looking at the results.

It is interesting to think about ranking rides you haven't been on in a while, rides like the Voyage or Hershey Park Wildcat that I've read reports of not aging well. My only experience of those rides is from several years ago when they were newer and still really good so I guess you just have to rank them based on that individual experience.

I'd rather you rank them as you rode them. If they're crap now, their rank will likely reflect that. If they're so awesome it outweighs that, then we'll see that as well.

Overall I really like the interface! I had the same issue others have noted trying to save my rankings though.

I agree small family coasters or kiddie coasters aren't needed in a best coaster poll. The collection of rides is really strong but I noticed a few missing Six Flags parks (Great Escape- mostly for Comet, Over Georgia, Fiesta Texas, and Great America) and some smaller parks with standout wooden coasters like Indiana Beach, Luna Park, and Story Land.

Fiesta is there (I know because I ranked Iron Rattler pretty high)

Whoops I skipped a page. Found it.

I'm really glad you guys are taking the initiative on this. Who better to do it?

I plan on ranking the coasters I haven't ridden based off of their youtube POV's like so many of your facebook.com users do... (joking)

Facebook idiot:

Fury 325 smokes Millennium Force!

Me: (Zach "Cole")

Have you ridden Millennium Force? Why does one have to be 'better' than another? Why can't you just say I enjoy XXX coaster more?

Facebook idiot:

No, but I watched the youtube video. because #competitionbro!

First off I just want to say this is great. It was really easy for me to use the website from my phone. It is a little hard to drag for rankings from my phone so I plan to do try that part once I get on a computer. So far besides seeing two duplicates, I haven’t seen any major problems.

Glad to see a poll come back up! I've missed the Hawker poll.

Issues I've faced so far:

Does not seem compatible with Chrome (ranking). Works fine with Firefox.

Hit save, does not save. Resets to order I started with.

Thanks for starting this!

I'd rather you rank them as you rode them. If they're crap now, their rank will likely reflect that. If they're so awesome it outweighs that, then we'll see that as well.

First off thank you to everyone for the very valueable feedback! And also thanks to Chase for following up with many of the questions.

For those of you who are asking about if you should or should not include a ride, please remember that this is technically a beta test and we will figure out a lot of those issues in time.

But for now, don’t think about it too hard and as Chase said, just rank them as you’ve ridden them!

If we need to add certain limits about time frame we can add that later. Thanks again!

Save button does not work. very annoying when you spend 45 minutes ranking them and it doesn't save. Have also seen others saying the same thing.

It’s also “very annoying” when someone comes on our forum and complains about our beta test being “very annoying.” You opted into helping out. Don’t be rude about it on top of it.

Save button does not work. very annoying when you spend 45 minutes ranking them and it doesn't save. Have also seen others saying the same thing.

Yes. People HAVE been saying the same thing all day... so why did you spend 45 minutes ranking them only to be surprised when they didn't save?

Edit: Robb basically beat me to it

This is awesome!

Quick question for those who did the Mitch Hawker poll, because I never did: How important is it that we rank every single coaster we’ve ridden? Is the poll affected if we leave our bottom 30 or 40 in just some jumbled order? Sorry if that’s a dumb question, but I’ve never done this type of poll before.

This is awesome!

Quick question for those who did the Mitch Hawker poll, because I never did: How important is it that we rank every single coaster we’ve ridden? Is the poll affected if we leave our bottom 30 or 40 in just some jumbled order? Sorry if that’s a dumb question, but I’ve never done this type of poll before.

Something that is totally possible and valid is to group similarly ranked coasters together. So, instead of having a specific #31-#50 (for example), you might have like 10 that are all about equal all as #30. You can't drag and drop, but you can change the number directly. Although apparently you can't save it, so no promises just yet.

I'm very happy to see something like the Mitch Hawker Poll coming back and I'm very happy that TPR is doing it. There are a couple coasters that I feel should be added to the final version (I'm not sure if I just missed it, but I think SFOG may have been left off). Also, I think it'd be better to group clones, such as Boomerangs and SLCs together instead of listing each one, like was done in the Mitch Hawker poll, as I really don't think there's really one specific Boomerang or SLC, etc. that needs to be ranked over another. But those are small and minor things, and I'm still very happy to see this being done.

I really don't think there's really one specific Boomerang or SLC, etc. that needs to be ranked over another.

But seriously, I agree with you. We'll see if that is something that is possible or we must just leave it the way it is for now...

^ That stunk that the majority of the rides at Prater were closed for a storm when we were there. I was actually looking forward to trying that boomerang out.

In terms of the poll, I will take some time tomorrow to check it out, do some ranking and provide some feedback. Glad to see that you guys were able to come up with something that looks pretty sweet so far - good job, Chase and crew!

I really don't think there's really one specific Boomerang or SLC, etc. that needs to be ranked over another.

But seriously, I agree with you. We'll see if that is something that is possible or we must just leave it the way it is for now...

Or the Boomerang Cobra at PowerLand in Finland. On the trip I remember Elissa saying you blackout once returning to the station (I thought on a boomerang??).I have never blacked out on any ride but that one....it was crazy!

Also, I think it'd be better to group clones, such as Boomerangs and SLCs together instead of listing each one, like was done in the Mitch Hawker poll, as I really don't think there's really one specific Boomerang or SLC, etc. that needs to be ranked over another.

I don't necessarily agree with this. The SLC's with the vest restraints (Mind Eraser @ SFNE, Great Nor'easter) are considerably more enjoyable than those with the old OTSRs. Speaking of the Great Nor'easter, with the new track its the smoothest SLC around (imo, others have said this as well). Same goes for the boomerangs. Some of them just ride better, some of them have better restraints (as pointed out above, along with Hersheys which has the vest restraints). While none of these are likely to finish high in the poll, it's interesting to me to see how they'd be ranked overall, since there are a lot of seasoned enthusiasts around here and it would give insight into which parks take better care of the same rides other parks own.

Not to mention, if we're going to get into lumping all the SLCs and boomerangs together, are we lumping all the Batman clones together, etc? Personally I've ridden two and I thought SFOGs ran a bit more sluggish and rugged than its counterpart @ Great Adventure.

Edited by boldikus

This is awesome! Kudos for taking the time out of your schedule to tackle such a project!

Overall I had some of the same issues already documented (dragging in Chrome, saving issues, etc), but I'm sure those'll be worked out in time. I'm more curious about how much you think you'll be able to build out the search functionality. I didn't have much trouble finding a coaster if I knew a specific name or park, but are there any plans to build it out more like the tree functionality RCDB uses for its searches? For example, if I wanted to pull up all coasters currently Florida, would I be able to do that? Currently, it seems strictly based off of a text string search - "ID" gives me Idaho coasters and every coaster / demographic with the text string "ID" in it, whereas "Idaho" comes up with nothing.

Also, is there an intended purpose for the 'Keep Looking" button? I never ran across a search where it was activated and clickable.

Again, awesome job so far!