TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official "TPR Coaster Poll" Thread!

Is it worth considering defunct rides or rides that have been modified in their original version? Rides like the Dania Beach Hurricane, Hades, old Texas Giant, Eagle Fortress jump out as rides that might legitimately be considered in a top 10,20,50 or whatever but if you want the poll to be just currently existing rides in their current formI totally get that.

No. This is not a list of coasters people have ridden this is going to be a poll for the best coasters. A ride that no longer exists cannot be the best coaster because it doesn’t exist so I’m not sure what the point of that would be other than to satisfy someone’s nostalgia for a lost ride and that’s not really what this is about.

Again, think about how it would look presenting an award...

“Dear Six Flags Over Texas your roller coaster won an award! Oh, but not the current version, the version that was torn down seven years ago...”

See how that would sound?

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I added everything I could, dragged and dropped to rank everything, hit "save", went back into "rankings" and none of my ordering took place, its all back to the order I added them, before ranking. FYI

I did the same thing and had the same problem (if he helps for troubleshooting at all I was using Firefox, I know some things are browser specific)

I am unable to rank in Chrome.

There is nothing for Six Flags St. Louis.

I don't think that it is necessary to have the "thank you" message pop up every time that I select a coaster that I have ridden.

Great start and really cool idea!

ditto with the "save" not saving the order.. also in Firefox here.

another glitch I'm seeing, when drag/drop the rankings?

I can "scroll down" while dragging, but cannot "scroll up".. I'm having to move the lower coasters half-way up the screen, then move the screen up and move the coaster up again.

not an issue with moving a coaster from the top to lower in the list, i just hold the dragged coaster at the bottom of the list, and it auto-scrolls down.

I love the idea! Hope this can be fully fleshed out

I've noticed a few problems within the ranking page mechanics:

- You cannot drag at all in Chrome.

- You can drag in FireFox, but cannot save your ranking after.

- You can drag in Internet Explorer, but cannot save your ranking after.

(I don't have any other browsers to test on)

Some notable (in my personal rankings) that are excluded in your database. You may want to consider adding:

- All of Six Flags Over Georgia (Or at least Goliath and Mind Bender)

- Santa Cruz Giant Dipper (I love that coaster)

- Monster at Adventureland (Arguably best Gerstlauer in the US?).

Is it worth considering defunct rides or rides that have been modified in their original version? Rides like the Dania Beach Hurricane, Hades, old Texas Giant, Eagle Fortress jump out as rides that might legitimately be considered in a top 10,20,50 or whatever but if you want the poll to be just currently existing rides in their current formI totally get that.

No. This is not a list of coasters people have ridden this is going to be a poll for the best coasters. A ride that no longer exists cannot be the best coaster because it doesn’t exist so I’m not sure what the point of that would be other than to satisfy someone’s nostalgia for a lost ride and that’s not really what this is about.

“Dear Six Flags Over Texas your roller coaster won an award! Oh, but not the current version, the version that was torn down seven years ago...”

Yeah, I get that, make sense. I think I saw Dragons Challenge on the list so may want to remove it unless you want to give Universal an award for a ride they tore down

I like it that you are working on a new coasterpoll with a good system.

While I was making my list of ridden coasters I couldn't find some coasters that I think are worth putting in the poll:

-Junker (Powerpark)

-Troy (Toverland)

-Baron 1898 (Efteling)

-Red Force (Ferrariland)

-Heidi: The ride (Plopsaland De Panne)

-Thunderbird (Powerpark)

-Daemonen (Tivoli Gardens)

-Joris en de draak (Efteling)

-Vampire (Walibi Belgium)

-Loup Garou/Weerwolf (Walibi Belgium)

-Salama (Linnanmaki)

-Pulsar (Walibi Belgium)

-Big thunder mountain (Disneyland Paris)

And one coaster you can delete from the list since it will be demolished by next season and also because it probably isn't the best coaster anyway:

-Vleermuis (Plopasland De Panne)

Yeah, I get that, make sense. I think I saw Dragons Challenge on the list so may want to remove it unless you want to give Universal an award for a ride they tore down

It was probably there because the initial list was generated about a year ago and yes, needs to be removed.

This is a great idea! I would like to add some coaster that I've ridden but aren't in the system yet.

- Monster (Adventureland)

- Tornado (Adventureland)

- dragon (Adventureland)

- Outlaw (Adventureland)

- Cliffhanger (Glenwood caverns)

- Spongebob squarepants rock bottom plunge- (Nick universe)

- Avatar airbender (Nick universe)

- Fairly odd coaster (Nick universe)

- this may be a stretch as it is a family coaster but Pepsi orange streak (Nick universe)

- American thunder (SFStL)

- Mr. Freeze reverse blast (SFStL)

- Boss (SFStL)

- Pandemonium (SFStL)

- Iron shark (Galveston island historic pleasure pier)

- Screamin eagle (SFStL)

- Batman the ride (SFStL)

- Ninja (SFStL)

That's all for now! Thanks to everyone who made this poll!

Edited by OmnipotentSeal

tho, you likely do want to list the two kiddies: Woodstock Express & Wilderness Run (which thanks to Coastermania last year, I actually have ridden).

I would actually rather not list kiddie coasters as to not encourage enthusiasts behavior to go ride them. Seriously, what is even the point of listing such coasters at Cedar Point on a ballot other than giving self-entitled bragging rights that anyone outside of the coaster geekdom world would care about?

This isn't a "coaster credits" list, it's a poll to determine the best coasters in the world, which two kiddies at Cedar Point are not going to be part of.

absolutely a fair point.

although the Junior coasters, such as the Woodstock Express at KD was actually among our favorite at that park (way better than Grizzly and Hurler, and we even liked it better than Rebel Yell for a woodie).. so I picked a bad example using CP's two Kiddies

but for me, I would rank KD's Woodstock in my list, if it were an option.

as noted tho, you absolutely have a fair point to not include the kiddie coasters.

Seconding this. Pepsi Orange Streak is one of my favorite Minnesota coasters, and Jaguar at Knott's isn't too bad. Both may be junior coasters, but they're custom layout junior coasters. Joker Funhouse at SFOG is a custom kiddie and I would absolutely include it in a ranking.

Off-the-shelf kiddies, however, I won't bother ranking.

So since people are asking where defunct rides are, I assume this isn't just a ranking of coasters that we actually rode in the year 2017? Or is it?

If it's a ranking of coasters that I've ridden in my lifetime, how would you recommend handling a ride like Ghost Rider? It is close to being my least favorite wooden coaster but I don't think the 2017 version would be ranked that way. Should I just leave it off?

Might be nitpicky but these were the only conundrums I've faced while going through this haha. Looking forward to seeing the results!

I saw you don't want parks with family/kiddie rides only however on my list there were a few major ones missed out:

Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Fantasy Island

Drayton Manor

Flamingo Land

Smaller ones with a major coaster (not sure if you want these but do what you wish):

Adventure Island w/ Rage

Duinrell w/Falcon

Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach w/Roller Coaster

Legoland Windsor (since the other ones are in)

Lightwater Valley w/Ultimate

Wild Maus XXL was missed as a Travelling coaster too not super high ranking but its popular i'd say.

Smaller parks missed for me: Brean Themepark, Dreamland Margate, Blackgang Chime, Brighton Pier, Gullivers Milton Keynes, Harbour Park(kiddie only), Joyland(kiddie only but it has Tyrolean so i don't know if you want it), Pleasurewood Hills.

Do what you wish with the information, happy to support this!

ALSO with the defunct rides thing will Wild Mouse at Blackpool be included just out of interest as we don't know if it was dismantled or demolished (as far as I know at least) as Kanonen is included as its dismantled.

This is fantastic! I have been looking forward to something like this for a very long time!

There are some of my favourite coasters that currently are not in the poll, and may be worth adding to it:

- Alpina Blitz (Nigloland)

- Red Force (Ferrari Land)

- Star Trek: Operation Enterprise (Movie Park Germany)

- Troy (Toverland)

- Gold Rush (Slagharen)

- Baron 1898 (Efteling)

- Joris en de Draak (Efteling)

- Dæmonen (Tivoli Gardens)

- Heide The Ride (Plopsaland De Panne)

- Van Helsing's Factory (Movie Park Germany)

- Rutschebanen (Tivoli Gardens)

It is close to being my least favorite wooden coaster but I don't think the 2017 version would be ranked that way. Should I just leave it off?

I left off Ghostrider and New Revolution for this very same reason. I figured that regardless of the algorithm they're using, ranking these coasters based on their older and infinitely sh*ttier iterations added nothing of value to the poll.

On a semi-related note, I also left off Gringotts because while it's one of the single greatest rides I've ever experienced in my life, I have no idea what to do with it in a coaster poll.

So I added everything I could, dragged and dropped to rank everything, hit "save", went back into "rankings" and none of my ordering took place, its all back to the order I added them, before ranking. FYI

Exact same thing happened to me. Spent a while arranging things, hit save, and it didn’t save. No big deal, just seconding this. Also, I don’t see SFOG listed on the site. So happy to see that this exists now though!

Exact same thing happened to me. Spent a while arranging things, hit save, and it didn’t save. No big deal, just seconding this. Also, I don’t see SFOG listed on the site. So happy to see that this exists now though!

I have got the same problem..

Overall I really like the interface! I had the same issue others have noted trying to save my rankings though.

I agree small family coasters or kiddie coasters aren't needed in a best coaster poll. The collection of rides is really strong but I noticed a few missing Six Flags parks (Great Escape- mostly for Comet, Over Georgia, Fiesta Texas, and Great America) and some smaller parks with standout wooden coasters like Indiana Beach, Luna Park, and Story Land.

Overall I really like the interface! I had the same issue others have noted trying to save my rankings though.

I agree small family coasters or kiddie coasters aren't needed in a best coaster poll. The collection of rides is really strong but I noticed a few missing Six Flags parks (Great Escape- mostly for Comet, Over Georgia, Fiesta Texas, and Great America) and some smaller parks with standout wooden coasters like Indiana Beach, Luna Park, and Story Land.

Fiesta is there (I know because I ranked Iron Rattler pretty high)