TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What are the top TWO Social Media Platforms you use the most

What TWO social media platforms do you use the most?  

480 members have voted

1. 1. What TWO social media platforms do you use the most?

• Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Instagram
    • Snapchat
    • Tumblr

I love me some Snapchat and honestly think some of the most creative "things" people are doing in social media right now seem to be on Snapchat.

I just wish it lasted longer than 24 hours. Really, that's my biggest and probably only complaint about Snapchat and if you could create a "story" that would expire in a few days or maybe even a week, I'd use it more often. I can't tell you how many times I've just missed someone's updates because I hadn't logged into Snapchat in like 28 hours.

And for a content creator, it's sort of a lot of work to do to have it all disappear in such a short amount of time.

Even if stories could last 48 or 72 hours that would be HUGE improvement for me.

Yeah I agree with you, I do wish a story would stay active for longer than 24 hours, 48 or 72 would be great. They have been adding features lately like "swipe up for a link" and stuff so maybe it will come eventually. I guess if you wanted to you could "save" a story then re-share it the next day after the original one expires, but yeah that's some extra work.

There are defiantly some good snapchat follows and some bad ones out there, but if done well for me it's like a live stream with out the dead air and annoying comments. I've got friend at the St. Louis City Museum right now Snapchatting and it's cool to periodically check in for a few minutes worth of "highlights" of his day through his eyes, just feels like a different perspective that live steams and other platforms really can't deliver.

Robb, just a question but Does Snapchat give you back user data like Facebook or Twitter other than "here's how many and who viewed your story"? As much as I enjoy the platform I have wondered how lucrative it is to the more "popular" users, if it's not worth your time to use as frequently because you don't get the views and shares and equivalent benefits associated with that I totally get it, but have been curious about that from more commercial users.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly while I know that Facebook is the #1 platform, as a social media platform, especially on the business side of things, I have not been very happy with it. The fact that they keep changing their algorithm, not giving anyone any sort of an idea as to why or what they changed, and the lack of overall support from them when you're spending a shitton of money with them, really frustrates me.

That and the fact that I'm sure our content alone has generated MILLIONS in revenue for Facebook and we have not seen a penny. The only thing Facebook really has going for it at the moment is their live stream does quite well for us and I like that live streaming platform better than any of the others.

So yeah, Twitter is actually my personal favorite of all the social media platforms.

I only joined Twitter very recently. Am curious as to what makes it your personal favorite...what you most enjoy about it?

I have a Facebook page but, honestly, do not check it daily. I use it more to check in on my close friends and a few of my "interest groups" (Shih Tzu Agility; skiing; theater; politics; TPs & Coasters ) Guess I am not a major Social Media person - and I DO agree with you that FB's ever-continuing UNEXPLAINED 'changes' make me a little crazy. (Not to start political discussion here - REALLY!, but curious as to how FB will deal with recent revelation of ad space sold 'unknowingly' to Russian groups, possibly influencing Elections.)

Alice

I only joined Twitter very recently. Am curious as to what makes it your personal favorite...what you most enjoy about it?

To me, Twitter is the *ONLY* social network that I find truly "social" in it's features.

- If you follow a page, you can see *ALL* of their updates (Facebook doesn't do this)

- It's easy to have a conversation with the actual REAL Twitter account (IG and Snapchat, IMO are clunky to have any sort of interaction)

- You can SHARE (re-tweet) something to make it truly viral (Snapchat and IG don't even offer this ability)

- I just seem to find the people on Twitter to be slightly more mature and maybe even more tech savvy than Facebook, Snapchat or Instagram.

- Of course the one downside to Twitter is that Donald Trump has increased its activity and sadly the users he attracts aren't the most intelligent people on the planet.

I guess to sum it up, I just feel that Twitter is the more intelligent truly "social" platform out there, and for those reasons I prefer it.

Facebook and Twitter. On Facebook I pretty much accept any friend requests that don't look like bots, even if I don't know the person. I have no problem with this. If someone wants to use me to add to their enormous, ever-increasing list of fake friends, then I'm all about supporting that. I also add most people I know. But the only thing I ever do on Facebook otherwise is like things, and change my profile picture every few years. I've never updated my status because I figure that if people want to know what's going on with my life, then they can just ask me. I don't need to announce to the world that I just ate a delicious bagel, or face planted while trail running, or other uninteresting details about my life.

Same logic with Twitter. I use it to follow other people, as well as websites and things that I like (like TPR). But I don't tweet much. I think the last time I tweeted was in 2012. I'm not opposed to doing it, and I might do it more in the future, but I just haven't seen a need for it. I get followed by all these spam accounts on Twitter too, which is funny. I sometimes follow them back too just because hey, you never know when I might need some discounted Christmas trees.

I follow TPR on both FB and Twitter. I don't have a Snapchat, and I creep on people's Tumblrs sometimes if they blog about something that I'm interested in. But the formatting and setup of Tumblr in general has always been weird to me. It just doesn't feel like social media when I'm trying to read a blog and it's just a bunch of reposts instead of the person's own thoughts.

I finally got back on the social media bandwagon while Michael was in the hospital (per his family member request). I had quit Facebook about four years before and had never used any other social media apps on my phone before, until getting back on FB late last year. I still haven't quite found a need to take to any of the other social media sites as of yet, but then again, I'm old.

Now I see that I really need to start filtering out friends that seem to only post non-stop political garbage, prayer chains and other really stupid sh#t that makes me want to throw up. Similar to Robb and Prozach, I would rather only have friends and family that actually post meaningful photos and messages, versus a lot of the idiotic crap that I have been seeing on there lately.

Once I get a little down time to myself, I really need to go through my settings and start getting some filters set up on FB. Once I get that straightened out, I might actually try venturing into the world of Twitter.

Edit - ^ Interesting to know, Robb. Donald Trump was one of the main reasons I have been leery of Twitter. While I know that he is one of a billion people that posts on there, every time I see something that he posts, it makes me want to vomit. I just figured that there were more uneducated, stupid people on there than on Facebook, but it sounds like it might be better as long as you filter and follow the appropriate people.

I admit that I am pretty much of a social media virgin - I don't know sh%t about it, but I admit that maybe it's time for me to learn!

Mostly use Facebook and occasionally Twitter. I find the interface on fb far more easy and intuitive. Maybe I"m just old, but trying to navigate and have a convo on twitter is just confusing with all the hashtag nonsense. Instagram seems to be mostly random pics as far as I can tell. Snapchat seems to me more geared towards kids and something my daughter uses to talk to her friends. IMHO of course and your results might differ.

Edited by ryanator

I only use Facebook and have a grand total of 25 friends, which are close family members and people I talk to on a regular basis. I dump anyone who spams political posts or social issues, even the ones I agree with. I am not friends with anyone I work with, because I don't want to have any public ties to my profession. I don't use my full name and everything is set to private.

Why use it, then? I like to follow the few people I actually give two shits about, outside of my work family who I have contact with on a daily basis. I also like to follow roller coaster and car groups. Emily and I also enjoy uploading our pictures and looking back at memories of things we did or trips we took in the past years.

Used in this manner, Facebook is actually enjoyable for me to look at a couple times a day. Usually on the crapper or when I have down time.

I actually use Facebook in a very VERY similar way. I have a few stipulations before I would even think about accepting someone as a Facebook friend:

- I have to know them personally

- I have to have known them personally for a decent length of time

- I do not add anyone who is crazy about religion, politics, or who is just plain crazy

- I will instantly remove someone who ends up posting crazy shit that makes my brain hurt

- Everything I have is on lock down

- I don't even post personal updates that often anymore

very similar for me.. . I have 223 friends.

of which, 221 of them I know Personally (the other 2: one I actually met, but he's a comic artist who I'm a fan of and he asked me to friend request him, the other is someone I reached out to when needing a teammate for an online game 3 years ago..she's in Norway, and we only ever interact on the game).

really, my #1 rule is I have to know them to accept a friend request. Friend of a friend don't cut it.

Only two of them (husband and wife, whom I actually spend a lot of time off work hanging out with) are current co-workers.

And 3 of my friends are ex-coworkers, (i reached out to them after they left the company, mainly so we could stay in touch).

Only two of them are family (Brother and SiL)

the rest are all people I know and enjoy interacting with. . . tho to be honest, I don't follow a whole lot of folks, maybe 30 or so. The rest I remain friends with, but don't really need to see their every thought

- It's easy to have a conversation with the actual REAL Twitter account (IG and Snapchat, IMO are clunky to have any sort of interaction)

- I just seem to find the people on Twitter to be slightly more mature and maybe even more tech savvy than Facebook, Snapchat or Instagram.

I've honestly found the opposite with Twitter (which is why I no longer use it). Most of what I see is people complaining and ranting about their lives. It may just be the people that I followed, but it just had such a negative vibe.

And in my opinion Snapchat is by far the easiest to converse with others on (much easier than Twitter), which is its main feature.

As for my favorites, definitely Instagram and Snapchat. I like that Instagram is geared towards photography and posting photos as well as having an easy interface that allows for group messaging and direct messaging.

Snapchat is pretty much just another form of texting for me, but I like the idea of sending messages with pictures.

I've honestly found the opposite with Twitter (which is why I no longer use it). Most of what I see is people complaining and ranting about their lives. It may just be the people that I followed, but it just had such a negative vibe.

Yeah I mean, sometimes a social media platform is only as good as the people you choose to follow. So that probably has a lot to do with it.

And in my opinion Snapchat is by far the easiest to converse with others on (much easier than Twitter), which is its main feature.

I have to strongly disagree here. Other than "one on one" conversation, Snapchat offers ZERO social interaction with anyone. At least Instagram allows you to leave comments and other people can reply to that. Snapchat is by far the WORST when it comes to social conversations. You can't share a snap. You can't comment on a snap. You can't emote about a snap. You can't "like" a snap. The ONLY things you can do on Snapchat (unless I'm really missing something) is look at images and then reply privately to the person who posted it.

And this is probably my biggest frustration with Snapchat. When we post a story, I wind up getting hundreds of personal messages from people I don't even know and they expect me to write back. At least with Twitter, when someone tweets back at me, I can treat it like a "comment" and both myself and other people can comment on what was written as well as my response.

I just find Snapchat to be a *little* creepy when it comes to doing stories on TPR. Which is why I mainly use it for the handful of close friends I have streaks with.

But to say Snapchat is the best for social conversation is actually wrong. And that's not even an "opinion" that's just factual based on the feature set the platform has. Maybe it's the best for "private" interaction, but that's also not really the definition of being "social."

Edited by robbalvey

Like Robb said, it all depends on who you follow. I don't actually follow any friends or family on Twitter. That's what Facebook is for. I follow accounts of organizations and public figures (TPR; sports teams, players, commentators; political groups and trusted pundits; and a few comedians and celebs from various backgrounds whose comments I enjoy). I also tend to change it up regularly to keep it relatively fresh. It's the only platform I feel I have a direct line to the account holders. It's also, IMO, the best way to follow events as they happen in real time. The "trending" features function the best among all social media platforms.

Although I still use Facebook a little bit more, Twitter has become my favorite social media platform.

I was only able to vote for one - Facebook. (Sorry I just don't have a second one)

I mainly only use Instagram for my own little personal collection of photos with other people. Snapchat is one I use with a disabled kid I take care of (he uses it, and is the only reason I keep the app to reciprocate hello videos to each, etc). I don't use Twitter at all.

I use Twitter the most. I use it to follow a lot of sport athletes and other areas of interest I have. The best part about twitter is that you can have actual interactions with these famous people you follow. I'm a huge NASCAR fan and a lot of the drivers and journalists are very active on twitter. Drivers respond a lot to fans and answer questions I've even had actual drivers respond to me on it, you don't get that as much on other social media which is why Twitter stands out the most to me.

Another great example is how Tony Clark interacts with people on twitter.

I use Instagram a lot too but that is mainly to send funny pictures to friends.

Facebook I use sparingly. I mainly use it for family and friend related things.

To me, Twitter is the *ONLY* social network that I find truly "social" in it's features.

- If you follow a page, you can see *ALL* of their updates (Facebook doesn't do this)

- You can SHARE (re-tweet) something to make it truly viral (Snapchat and IG don't even offer this ability)

- Of course the one downside to Twitter is that Donald Trump has increased its activity and sadly the users he attracts aren't the most intelligent people on the planet.

I guess to sum it up, I just feel that Twitter is the more intelligent truly "social" platform out there, and for those reasons I prefer it.

Thanks Robb. Initially, when it began, I thought Twitter was meant to target "the kids." So I never got around to exploring 'how it works.' Now, you've got me curious, and I'll try following more pages. (PS. Yes, I DID fill out the poll.)

Alice

1. Twitter since it's a lot simpler for me to use and doesn't feel as burdensome or as flooded with ads/tailored content as Facebook (I still loathe Facebook).

2. Instagram's a more distant second, though I've surprisingly made some pretty good new friends through it. A nice medium for those that work with photos or enjoy photo work.