TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Stand up coasters...any good?

I've ridden ShockWave at SFMM (now Batman---The Scrapped at SFAW); Vortex at PGA; and Riddler's Revenge at SFMM. I've always liked the standup concept. The best "seat" is the front IMO.

Even after almost eight years, Riddler's is still an enjoyable ride with (for me at least) little headbanging. Want to avoid crotch crunching? Just adjust the seat down a bit. That'll also give you some room to sit if you need to.

The downside to these is a very slow loading time. Well, at least at SFMM.

Eric

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I stand-up fan? Totally depends on the coaster. There are some stand-ups that I love, some I hate, and some that are just so-so. I've ridden:

Intamin

Batman The Escape

7UP Shockwave

Togo

PKD Shockwave

King Cobra

(skipped the Canadian one, kicking self now)

B&M

PGA Vortex

Iron Wolf

Chang

Mantis

Riddler's Revenge

Georgia Scorcher

My 4 favs are Batman The Escape, Riddler's Revenge, Georgia Scorcher, and King Cobra (RIP)

My bottom 4 are Chang, Mantis, PKD Shockwave, and 7UP Shockwave.

It's amazing how PKI's was almost perfect, but PKD's is a horrid piece of shit! BTE was a little rough, but it didn't bother me at all. Whereas, I thought 7UP was unbearably rough. Mantis and Change really pulled on my calves and it was very uncomfortable. They suck, please TAER EM DOWN! RRV was awesome. It was so swoopy and comfortable. Although, I could never get over how B&M put 2 dive loops on one coaster. How about a heartline?? Scorcher was fantastic! It had the intensity of the earlier designs, but it was designed to be comfortable. And lastly, Iron Wolf and PGA Vortex. I rode them last almost 10 years ago. I thought they were great, but now, everyone is saying they've become terribly rough?

That's my take on stand-ups...

-kip-

I like Riddler's elements, I just don't like the way it loads your legs and wears them out early in the day. I agree that if you bend your knees a bit the ride is much more comfortable, and the little airtime you get on Riddler is far from painful......and you can make it even better by taking your feet off the floor. Granted, there probably isn't a way to avoid the wedgie that Riddler is so good at dishing out, but the nut smash is fairly easy.......for me at least.

I love the dive loop the most in a standup train. I don't know what it is. I just love how graceful it is. It has always made me want to ride riddler's revenge that much more. Iron wolf is awesome to look at how they fit all that track into such a small place but you pay the price with all those direction changes in the second half of the ride. Question, was Iron wolf suppose to have a mid coarse break because it just seems that long straight away after the helix was suppose to have some brakes? Iknow the track goes over the service drive but it just seems weird with a straight away that long on a b&m with no trims or block brakes.

even after almost eight years, Riddler's is still an enjoyable ride

Wow has it really been that long? I remember riding Riddler's Revenge the year it opened, and it's still as smooth and great as ever! :shock:

Georgia scorcher and Vortex at PC have been the only standups i've been on and Georgia Scorcher ranks in my top ten coaster list... It has no crotch pain (unlike vortex), no head bumping (unlike Vortex), and some very intense positives and negatives (and good laterals, unlike vortex).

thumbs up to Scorcher is all i can say

You know, its funny because I was just riding The Riddler's Revenge the other day, and thinking to myself "whats the point?"

Basically, my thought is, after waiting 1 1/2 hours of standing in a line, there is nothing better than sitting down in a comfy roller coaster seat, putting your head against the headrest, and just letting your body relax for 45 seconds.

Stand-ups can be good rides, but usually sacrifice too much to be great ones.

Mantis is trimmed on the first drop and I still find the elements to be WAY too intense for me to enjoy. It just absolutly kills my legs. It's funny how Chang doesn't do this and it is a mirror image of Mantis up until the midcourse. I actually really like Chang.

On another note, has anyone else notice that the first two eleements on Batman the Escape are also the first two elements on Mantis and Chang?

Aside from Chang I haven't met a single Stand Up that I can say I have enjoyed, in fact Iron Wolf has the dubious distinction of being the worst currently standing coaster I have ever rode. Worst all time is SFGADV's Viper, may in burn in hell whatever it was made into.

You know, its funny because I was just riding The Riddler's Revenge the other day, and thinking to myself "whats the point?"

Basically, my thought is, after waiting 1 1/2 hours of standing in a line, there is nothing better than sitting down in a comfy roller coaster seat, putting your head against the headrest, and just letting your body relax for 45 seconds.

Well, it's certainly true that Riddler would be a better experience if the ops at SFMM could figure out how to load the thing efficiently...

If you want to avoid "crotch crunching," just adjust the seat lower. A side benefit is that you can sit if you want to. I've seen people do it.

Eric

That won't fly at CP.

What you want to do is stand up as straight as you can and have the restraints pushed onto the top of your shoulder.

In this scenario your crotch is clear of the the seat and your legs are straight as they should be.

Strangely, though the Togo ones were a much simpler layout, I usually had fun on them.

The B&M ones I find boring, and for some reason, I always regret riding Mantis... It's just an unpleasant ride for me, and not all that fun, so why do it?

This year, I got a really smooth ride on Iron Wolf, and it was amazing. The ride was forceful and fun, and the second part of the ride was totally insane with all of the directional changes. You fly through the corkscrew on Iron Wolf so fast, it's amazing.

If you can just get a smooth ride on Iron Wolf, you can see what it really used to be, and how intense and fun it actually is.

Personally in general Stand-Ups are my least favorite of any coaster other than the obvious Vekoma tragedies. I just don't like them at all, and I've been on a few, Riddler, Chang, Georgia Scorcher, Mantis, Iron Wolf. All suck pretty bad, except for Georgia which oddly enough is actually probably on my top 10. I don't know why I love it so much, but seriously it is a great ride, but as a whole I HATE standups.

I have been on 4 and really don't care for them. The worst of them was Fujin Raijin II at Expoland in Japan. That one was painfull and it doesn't loop. It beats the heck out of your head.

The best of the 4 was Batman at SFAW. Rode that yesterday. Not bad, would have riden it a second time but the crowds and it kept breaking down.

I have also riden Riddler, which was ok and Vortex which sucked.