TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Stand up coasters...any good?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stand-ups I've been on are Georgia Scorcher (SFoG), Ridder's Revenge (SFMM), Shockwave (PKD), and Mantis (CP)

Both SF stand-ups that I've ridden were actually pretty good. Mantis... killed the legs... and Shockwave... well I can't even remember... last time I went to PKD was before Hypersonic XLC was built.

They're definitely worth a ride, but probably the only coaster types where air time could be a bad thing.

I think the worst thing on stand-up coasters are the positive Gs on the legs. Also, the stand-up side of Apocalypse (drop tower) at Drayton Manor makes my lower body feel very heavy when it hits the brakes on the drop.

But the Zero-G Roll on Shockwave (standup coaster) at Drayton Manor is amazing.

I love stand-up coasters, and really can't understand why people tend to despise them!

In particular the BaM trains have saddle seats about as "hard" as tripping up into a pile of bubble wrap, mayonnaise and cotton wool (But notably less sticky!).

I think the people claiming it hurts their *areas* are just making out they're super manly

Shockwave at DM is my fave, easily. The z-g roll on the right hand side of the train is the most amazing feature of ANY coaster I've ever ridden.

Cerberus

They're definitely worth a ride, but probably the only coaster types where air time could be a bad thing.

Not really, RIddler' REvenge has a load of air time in the front, and I didn't notice any pain in the groin area. The seats don't really bother me at all, but if you've been at the park for the whole day, it might be hard for you to stand. :shock:

I've only ridden Shockwave @ Drayton Manor (the B&M but not B&M one), and I really enjoy that. Its far from smooth, but its still fun, and as Shockwave said on the previous page, the zero-g is superb fun. I'm really looking forward to getting to ride a B&M one though, to compare the experience, and see if they are better at all. The layouts in general are a bit better, so here's to hoping...

standups are pretty good overall...I've been on Iron Wolf, Mantis, Chang, Georgia Scorcher and Shockwave (PKD) and the the only ones that aren't that good are Shockwave (about an inch from brain hemeraging) and Mantis (one of the only rough B&Ms I know of(even though Iron Wolf is rough, at least it doesnt have a MCBR and only run 2 trains)

well - maybe it is just me but I find them all to be head banging rather than ball breaking. Notable exception is Riddlers Revenge which is brilliant. Only thing I would say is don't mess about moving up and down once you've found the right height for you. I remember playing about and the locks were thrown when I was in a strange (and stupid) squat position

Steve- hold that position -C

Shockwave at PKD is crap. Sure, the standing up is cool, and up until halfway through the helix it feels fine. Than every turn slams your head into the restraint. Not to mention painful airtime. The turns are basically what you see as the exagerratedly sharp transitions into banked turns in RCT.

Stand-up roller coasters give a slightly different sensation that sit-downs, but to me, it seems only to be that your head is further from the track. I'd prefer an intense sit-down (i.e. Kumba) over a basically any stand-up (i.e. Riddler's Revenge). As for comfort, I find them no less comforting than the bicycle seats that stand-up seats are modeled after.

I've ridden two, Mantis (CP) and Georgia Scorcher (SFOG).

Mantis, a little bit rough, but what do you expect from older B&M's?

Georgia Scorcher was an awesome ride! Its forceful, fun, and full of headchoppers. It almost reminded me of what Schwarzkopf would have designed.

But one thing irks me, when B&M were designing the Stand-up coaster, why did they not think of thier man-parts when designing the trains?

Stand-up coasters hurt my crotch, and I don't have boy parts so I can't imagine how much it hurts for the guys. I liked Mantis MUCH more than Skyrider [PCW] or Shockwave [PKD], but I'm still not sure if I like it or not. It's a different ride experience, which I guess can never be bad.

The only time I ever really liked a stand-up was when I was finally tall enough to ride Skyrider at PCW [i kept measuring myself on the test seat every time I visited the park for about three years until I could finally ride]. I don't think it was so much that I enjoyed the actual ride, but that I was excited to finally be able to ride.

well, i've only been on Riddler's Revenge at SFMM, i can say it's one of the most enjoyable coasters i have ever ridden. I found the standing quite unique, a nice brake from sitting on all the other coasters. It's probably one of my favorite rollercoaster styles.

having said that, heres a note of caution... no matter how fun it is to bounce up and down in your restraints, just dont do it!!

last time i went on it, the guy next to me was HIIIGH off the ground, needless to say, it was one of the throughly helarious rollercoaster rides I've ever taken.