TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ohio State Fair accident

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though it's more fuel for the flames, this is very intriguing stuff they found. One in 2007 involving metal fatigue in another area of the ride so welding was added, then in 2009 found weakened material due to "an isolated result of the manufacturing process." Considering Amusements of America supposedly received their Afterburner in 2002, I'm wondering if they had their ride inspected after the 2007 fatigue find, especially since KMG issued a notice stating "All Afterburner rides need to be tested for cracks by a certified NDT company by using visual and magnetic testing." Would something have popped up then about it?

Also after all this, does anyone think any parks with Afterburners might consider removing them?

According to the news a lawsuit has already been filed so who's more at fault in this tragedy - the State of Ohio inspectors or Amusement of America, the owner of the ride? Are both parties equally guilty?

There's been a lot of local news stories about ride safety since the accident as a lot of communities are having their Home Days and the county fair is about to start up in about a week or so. At least for the county fair they are afraid this may hurt them this year.

Actually this came up today. As we were riding the alpine coasters super fast, in the rain, with no brakes...what if the metal just fails and we go flying off. Someone in our group said it and we all thought about it. Do I believe this accident was mostly due to shoddy inspection work due to it being a carnival ride? Yes. But do I think this should have happened to a real manufacturer ride in the USA? No. And that's the scary part.

On our last trip to china, robb and I did not ride any of the scary crap at the same time to avoid the possibility of orphaning the child. I didn't think I had to do that here, but I will certainly think more about it in the future.

I'm not a rides engineer or mechanic, I trust those people to do their jobs and make the rides safe. Sure I know a bit more about rides than the average person and could notice a few things that could be a problem but my safety is in their hands. Same way I trust airplane mechanics and pilots. I don't know much about that at all! It worries me that some people may not be taking their job responsibilities seriously enough.

Yeah, it's definitely something we're going to think about as well. Such a sad and terrible situation.

So they knew structural fatigue cracking was happening and didn't ask all the rides be closed? wow

That article isn't giving the entire story. I could be wrong (but I'm FAIRLY certain I'm not) that that was the issue that came up years back where they decided it was a good idea to add a gusset plate to strengthen that part was that showing structural problems. All examples of the ride were given that upgrade. That was dealt with, in what seems to have been a competent and responsible manner. That article looks to be trying to make it out to seem like they found issues and just ignored them. They didn't; they fixed that. Unfortunately it looks like a different source of cracking and fatigue was also going on that was never noticed...

I feel as if I was an owner of one of these rides, I would do everything I could in my power to check for structural fatigue and cracks as much as I possibly could. I'd rather spend extra money and be safe, rather than save it and be sorry.

Still scares me that this is my favorite flat, but at the least, they'll be safer now.

Apparently "It" at Moreys Piers is now back open after being closed as a precaution (very similar model).

Also, the entire Midway at the Ohio State Fair (sans the Fireball of course) is reopening today.

So they knew structural fatigue cracking was happening and didn't ask all the rides be closed? wow

That article isn't giving the entire story. I could be wrong (but I'm FAIRLY certain I'm not) that that was the issue that came up years back where they decided it was a good idea to add a gusset plate to strengthen that part was that showing structural problems. All examples of the ride were given that upgrade. That was dealt with, in what seems to have been a competent and responsible manner. That article looks to be trying to make it out to seem like they found issues and just ignored them. They didn't; they fixed that. Unfortunately it looks like a different source of cracking and fatigue was also going on that was never noticed...

Yes, this is correct. You can file that article under #fakenews as it doesn't even relate in any way to the current accident. Saying that article is in any way related is like saying Toyota issued a recall for brakes, but then all of a sudden a gas tank failed a decade later.

This particular ride did have the gusset plates installed. Clearly seen in this picture

This terrible accident appears to be a human failure as much as a structural failure.

Whether this was a failure in design, a maintenance shortcoming, an inspection not being done properly, or inadequate regulation, one thing should stop another and it simply shouldn't be possible for a ride to break into two pieces like this.

Independent inspections should give people the confidence that if a ride isn't maintained properly, it shouldn't be able to operate. Every time we see some POS rip-off ride fall apart in China we've always been able to confidently say "that's China, that can't happen here", yet thanks to this accident that has just become a lot harder to say.

Here in the UK we've recently had a tower block fire in which 80 people died, which is another third-world-style disaster that simply shouldn't happen in the civilised world. A simple fridge fire has highlighted a culture of self-regulation of safety rules that are open to interpretation and therefore not fit for purpose. I wonder if the Ohio State Fair accident will expose a similar problem where fundamental things simply are not checked.

When people's motivation is to make money (be it ride manufacturer or canie), it's really important to have a firebreak in between those who build and operate the ride and members of the public, otherwise it's very difficult to have complete confidence in the safety of a ride.

It's impossible to make a judgement before you get on a ride as to how safe it is, and that's why you have people doing it for you.

^ I know. That tower fire was heartbreaking. Apparently the material in the building construction was so flammable that building or its residents didn't stand a chance. I heard there are like another 100 buildings like that in England with the same materials.... but back to the subject on hand.

I don't know if the fireball is still up at the fair or it has been taken down yet. I'm planning to go Saturday.

I just honestly don't know what to make of this accident. I watched that video numerous times, stared at that close up picture of the break. I have replayed witness accounts over and over just trying to wrap my head around it. Crazy, this was my favorite fair ride. I would spend half my coupons riding it when we had our version at the State Fair of Texas. The version we had was named Xtreme. I know many are blaming the fair inspectors but I wonder if that section that snapped was even remotely in a the area they would look for fatigue. This whole accident is mind-blowing and it could have been any one of us. It is truly some Final Destination S***.

Here is another picture close up of gondola, the actual break point. I haven't seen this one before:

http://www.10tv.com/sites/10tv.com/files/field/image/ride-malfunction-2-ohio-state-fair-fire-ball%20%28002%29.jpg

A fairly substantial development...

http://www.10tv.com/article/amusement-industry-group-eyes-corrosion-ohio-state-fair-accident

The National Association for Leisure Industry Certification, which represents ride inspectors and provides technical assistance to the amusement ride industry, issued a technical bulletin stating that the ride’s sweep arm suffered from corrosion that had reduced the metal’s thickness. It adds that water had been able to impact the structure during transportation and storage processes.

A fairly substantial development...

http://www.10tv.com/article/amusement-industry-group-eyes-corrosion-ohio-state-fair-accident

The National Association for Leisure Industry Certification, which represents ride inspectors and provides technical assistance to the amusement ride industry, issued a technical bulletin stating that the ride’s sweep arm suffered from corrosion that had reduced the metal’s thickness. It adds that water had been able to impact the structure during transportation and storage processes.

I just read the same thing. I tend to wonder if this ride was transported or sat around salty sea air had part in the corrosion also.

It sounds like water may have been able to get inside of the hollow arm, possibly while it was disassembled for transport. Corrosion that significant sounds like something that should have been noticed, though...

A of A is out of New Jersey, so who knows how much salty air and water their rides have been exposed to.

On another note, the Fireball is still standing, though they have put trailers around the ride to fence it off and also, yesterday was the funeral (a Military Funeral, too) for Tyler Jarrell. Here is a link to the other injured riders status'. Many do not sound good, still:

http://www.10tv.com/article/update-victims-ohio-state-fair-ride-accident

Published: 08/02/17 08:05 pm EDT.

Updated: 08/02/17 08:10 pm EDT.

We have an update on the four people are still in the hospital following last week's ride accident at the Ohio State Fair.

Eighteen-year-old Jennifer Lambert is critical at Grant Medical Center. Her mother tells 10TV she still hasn't woken up.

Thirty-six-year-old Tamica Dunlap is at the Wexner Medical Center in serious condition.

Her uncle, Russell Franks, is in critical condition.

Eighteen-year-old Keziah Lewis is at Wexner Medical in serious condition. Lewis is a student at the University of Cincinnati, studying in English and creative writing.

Eighteen-year-old Tyler Jarrell died in the accident. He was laid to rest Tuesday.

Two others who were hurt have been released from the hospital.

A of A is out of New Jersey, so who knows how much salty air and water their rides have been exposed to.

On another note, the Fireball is still standing, though they have put trailers around the ride to fence it off and also, yesterday was the funeral (a Military Funeral, too) for Tyler Jarrell. Here is a link to the other injured riders status'. Many do not sound good, still:

http://www.10tv.com/article/update-victims-ohio-state-fair-ride-accident

Published: 08/02/17 08:05 pm EDT.

Updated: 08/02/17 08:10 pm EDT.

We have an update on the four people are still in the hospital following last week's ride accident at the Ohio State Fair.

Eighteen-year-old Jennifer Lambert is critical at Grant Medical Center. Her mother tells 10TV she still hasn't woken up.

Thirty-six-year-old Tamica Dunlap is at the Wexner Medical Center in serious condition.

Her uncle, Russell Franks, is in critical condition.

Eighteen-year-old Keziah Lewis is at Wexner Medical in serious condition. Lewis is a student at the University of Cincinnati, studying in English and creative writing.

Eighteen-year-old Tyler Jarrell died in the accident. He was laid to rest Tuesday.

Two others who were hurt have been released from the hospital.

This is truly tragic. My heart goes out to everyone affected by this incident.