TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Wish me luck...

Mind Eraser

Yesterday, in my smoking cessation class, they brought in a dentist and a hygenist to give us oral exams. They found a little white spot in my mouth. They did a Brush Biopsy, which is basically the initial biopsy. Then, they test the brush, and if it's anything bad, they will call me. If this happens, I'll have to have a real biopsy where they actually cut a piece of the spot out. I'm really hoping the spot is nothing

But, then again, I deserve whatever happens to me. I made a conscious choice to start smoking 5 years ago. But to all you youngins on TPR, if you make it through highschool without smoking, that's awesome! However, don't let your guard down. The highest rate of new smokers now is people in college. I picked up my first pack cuz a lot of my fellow employees at SFA smoked, and I was stressed, so I thought I would try it. I never imagined, I'd be smoking for 5 years!!

Cigarettes can f**k up your life, guys! Just remember that please.

-kip-

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Be encouraged ... I smoked for 7 years and have now been smoke-free for more than 2 and a half years ... in short -- you can quit. The Commit lozenges (from Walmart) worked REALLY well for me. Basically, they took the edge off and of course you cannot smoke while you are using them (that defeats the purpose) -- but I'm glad to see you are in cessation class man. Keep on keeping on.

By the way, 2 years after quitting I developed severe asthma and a touch of COPD (which I am being treated for but the asthma will now be with me for life -- or so they say). So, we all pay the price man, but I'm glad to see someone else has decided to quit. Again, be encouraged ... you CAN do it!

~TJ

I have to admit that quitting smoking was one of the hardest things I've done in my life. I used to be a 2 pack a day chain-smoker. In retrospect, that's an assload of cigarettes. The main thing about quitting is that you have to WANT to quit. It took me several months to totally rid myself of 'em, but if you're consistant and determined to do it, it's totally possible. Hope everything works out for you MindEraser!

Thanks for the support, everyone. It's making me feel a bit better!

Cigarettes are so deceiving. They are legal and many, many people use them. Therefore, I don't think a lot of kids take the dangers seriously. I kicked a very serious drug addiction about 4 years ago. Truth be told, kicking the drug habit was SO much easier than quitting cigarettes. Sometimes, I get really down because I've seriously attempted to quit so many times in 5 years, and I just constantly fail. The little devil on my shoulder is saying "You're never gonna be able to quit! Face it, you're gonna die from cancer! Just smoke and get it over with!"

Yeesh.

Six of seven members of my family smoked. (Guess which one didn't? ) As of today, two of them are dead (Dad and my sister), two have quit (my mom and my other sister), and both of my brothers still do, though not as much.

From what I've heard, smoking is even harder to give up than cocaine. And it's true that you have to want to quit and be willing to do whatever it takes.

To those of you who have kicked the habit: Congratulations!

To those of you who are trying: Hang in there and the best of luck to you!

Eric

Mind -- this is just a little levity for ya (and you need a warped sense of humor to bite into this one ...) Consider the little warnings on the side of the packs ... Surgeon General rants, etc. What if you saw this?

Any wimp can quit smoking ... it takes a real man to handle lung cancer!!

Anyway, quit man ... no sense in dying before ya need to. I'm in your corner man, unwaveringly.

~TJ

I started smoking when I was 16.

I tried twice to quit with the help of some fool 'device' (what was that stupid creditcard-sized thing called?). The first time I went nine months. The second time, six.

I finally did it on New Year's of 2000-2001. Cold turkey, with big dollar signs in front of my mind, constantly reminding me how much money I was saving, day by day. Then, packs up here cost $5.25 CDN per. Now? Over $8.50 per pack I see. :shock:

I 'slipped' this past winter, and actually was on the road to my usual pack-and-a-bit per day, when fate and a bad flu in February reminded me why I wanted to stop smoking them. And I stopped, again. And moved up my 'anniversary' to my birthday, which is end-of-March.

Quit now, while it's way more easy for you, than what it could probably be later on. I was lucky (to a point; there's still the 'uncertain' future) and somehow after all those years of smoking, I was still allowed to quit, if I so chose. And for now, there are no signs of cancer, which constantly surprises me, lol.

Think of all those park passes and airflights to new coastering adventures you'll be able to save up for, if you stopped now?

- Hope the test goes well for you, in your favor.

• 3 months later...

OK, I'm glad I found this thread.

Not many of you on here know that I am in fact a smoker, and I have been for the past 2 an 1/2 years. However, I'm getting to the age where I know it's not gonna be good for me in the long run. It's costing me more money which I could be spending on the finer things in life, like thrill rides, gigs, music and enjoying myself without choking every 5 minutes.

I have my reasons for why I started. In November 2003, I was going through a roughtime at University, feeling very depressed and not sure where I was going. I started smoking because it calmed me down and relaxed me. The last two years have been really hard for me. Leaving Uni, having an awful job, and not knowing what the future held.

In May 2005, things started to get better with a new job, and I did try a few times to quit, all unsuccesful. But I'm feeling much more happy about my life and about myself.

So now it's 2006, I've got 3 big holidays in the works, and life is looking rather good. And now it's time I bit the bullet and break the habit before it catches up with me. It's hard to quit smoking, but this time I'm determined to become smoke free. I know it's all down to me at the end of the day, but I need your help in trying to keep me from lighting up again.

So I'm gonna post a day by day, blow by blow account of how I'm feeling, how bad my cravings are, and if I break my edge.

So starting now, Non-German Tom is also gonna be Non-Smoking Tom. I hope I can see this through.

Wish me luck. 8)

Good luck, I'm sure you can do it!

And I apologise for kinda pulling you off the wagon a coupla times, sorry.

Nicotine patches and lollies are apparently the way to go! (says the 15 a day girl. ) A lot of people have recommended that Allen Carr book too, although I don't think you're supposed to quit until you've read it.... May be worth a look though!

Though I've never smoked (the early death of my father helped me make that decision), I see what smoking can do on a daily basis. Hopefully you don't have a malignancy, Kip, but either way this scare could be just what you need to stop altogether. I wish you the best of luck.

And congrats to all of you who have managed to stop.

I see kids, like freshmen smoking at my High School and well, it's very sad.

I'm not a smoker, whenever i'm in a bathroom and some people are smoking, I just do and leave.

It's very, very sad. Best of luck with your future Mind Eraser.

I'll be praying for you.

Chris

EDIT: best of luck to you as well, Tom. May God watch over you as well.

MindEraser/kip - how are you doing now with this?

The thread's been recently bumped, and you haven't posted since October...

So, thought I'd check in and see how you're doing there with it all.

Yes? No? Maybe?

Inquiring Non-Smoking (now) Bears want to know... and help support...

Thanks for all your kind words, they're truly appreciated.

OK, so Day 1 has been very difficult. Work is driving me round the bend, but I only have a few minutes left so I feel a bit better about that.

I'm feeling very stressed out with some of the people I've been dealing with today, so I'm gonna go home and chew a lot of gum till I've calmed down.

Mind -- this is just a little levity for ya (and you need a warped sense of humor to bite into this one ...) Consider the little warnings on the side of the packs ... Surgeon General rants, etc. What if you saw this?

Any wimp can quit smoking ... it takes a real man to handle lung cancer!!

Doesn't matter what is on the package, people will still smoke. Here in Canada they put all sort of nasty images on the packs. Shrivelled up lungs,hearts, fetis,etc. Never stopped me from smoking.

Hell it was practically a joke because some of them were kind of funny.

Like others I started smoking a bit during high school, and then turned into a pack a day smoker during college.

Took me a handful of times to quite. Now I've gone 9 months without a single smoke.

It's hard, but you just gotta fight it.

^ Good for you! Keep it up and just keep racking up all that dough in your head you're saving up, hmmm?

What are cigs over in eastern Canada now? Here in BC, they're nearing... $9 a pack!

Brrrrrrrrrr. Glad we can't afford them any more, right? Lucky us, heh heh.

...and Go Tom Go!!!